What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

Just now, maramizo said:

Just a finale and a conclusion to this argument, because I'm not sure where everyone's getting their facts:

— 597-598, Borchert-2016-Law_&_Social_Inquiry.pdf (umich.edu)

Just now, Midwest said:

This is factually incorrect though, as per both. You say eme is irrelevant and thats a "statistical fact", how many members does an organization need in your eyes to be relevant? Cause those few hundred guys have authority 100,000 gang members just in California alone https://losangeles.networkofcare.org/pr/library/article.aspx?id=1809.

And, you bring up the statistics argument, but yet you fail to recognize statistics when it comes to matters that would go against your belief. The last update statistics and research in regard to prison rape put around 252 substantiated cases on the roster, which is absolutely miniscule if you even factor in an increase of 100% (504), and for good graces since shits under-reported for various factors, that is a rate of around 504/2,190,000. Pretty sure most states overall have more reports of that happening outside of correctional facilities. 

I highly implore you to check out the BJS reports and statistics they release on this matter, which speak in %'s, none of which breach 15, and forced sexual contact *of any type* in correctional facilities dips off massively once you become an adult, and is actually more prevalent in juvenile detention facilities (8-13%) 

No eMe member goes around telling anyone who they should or shouldn't go to bed with. You're taking their "authority" way out of proportion. No one would even know for the most part regarding homosexual acts in prisons. Check the quoted post ahead, along with the specific quote shared. That's a statistical fact, 7% is the biased minimum of people identifying as gay in prison. 14% is the minimum finding of people that engaged in consensual homosexuality.

You're correct on rape not exceeding 15%. The original point on homosexuality holds. La eMe's not God, mind you, even the latter has failed in telling people who not to get into bed with. Prisoners are (for the most part, especially gang bangers) not going around bragging about what they're doing, but everyone knows it happens behind closed doors. No one can really blame them for it either.

Again, it's a part of prison culture at this point. 

Here's what we can agree on:

1. Rape isn't that prevalent.

2. Most gangs generally have a structure or rule that discourages homosexuality (you would disagree with me that I believe that most gang members generally don't give a fuck when it comes down to it).

3. Homosexual acts do occur in prison (you would claim they have harsh consequences, I know statistically speaking it's just normal). 

2 hours ago, Rhelli said:

What's wrong with this:
unknown.png

I know you're messing but:

• Awful spelling and grammar
  • Use of superfluous and subjective language
  • Generally poor and overused character archetype

They're the sorts of players RPQM need to be having serious words with if they aren't already. It isn't an understatement when community members claim these characters are a detriment to realistic RP environments, it's just when that hatred spills into OOC that bothers me.

2 minutes ago, maramizo said:

No eMe member goes around telling anyone who they should or shouldn't go to bed with. You're taking their "authority" way out of proportion. No one would even know for the most part regarding homosexual acts in prisons. Check the quoted post ahead, along with the specific quote shared. That's a statistical fact, 7% is the biased minimum of people identifying as gay in prison. 14% is the minimum finding of people that engaged in consensual homosexuality.

You're correct on rape not exceeding 15%. The original point on homosexuality holds. La eMe's not God, mind you, even the latter has failed in telling people who not to get into bed with. Prisoners are (for the most part, especially gang bangers) not going around bragging about what they're doing, but everyone knows it happens behind closed doors. No one can really blame them for it either.

Again, it's a part of prison culture at this point. 

Here's what we can agree on:

1. Rape isn't that prevalent.

2. Most gangs generally have a structure or rule that discourages homosexuality (you would disagree with me that I believe that most gang members generally don't give a fuck when it comes down to it).

3. Homosexual acts do occur in prison (you would claim they have harsh consequences, I know statistically speaking it's just normal). 

Stories Written By A Current Prisoner - YouTube

50 minutes ago, maramizo said:

La eMe is irrelevant. Three times as much males alone as the entirety of la eMe get raped in a facility on a yearly basis.

EME/AB control nearly all prisons in California, there's no denying it. 

Both organizations prohibit rape and even more homosexuality among their ranks, if the people who control these prisons prohibit such why do you think RAPE in prison (Specifically California) is a common occurring thing, if anyone is found to be a rapist/homosexual they aren't accepted or allowed to hang with either car and will likely be killed, there's plenty of stories by people who have done time in prison that details killings of homosexuals within California state prisons. 

3 hours ago, maramizo said:

Rape or homosexuality isn't a thing within the general population of California prisons. It still happens in some other states, but for the most part it isn't an occurrence in California (except sensitive needs yards). It used to be back until the 70s-80s, even among the prison gangs in California, but not anymore. I guess this is where miscommunication happens between you and the other sides, because they're talking California prison politics, and you're linking Georgia prison statistics. While you might get some booty bandit messing with inmates in states like Alabama, California prisons are a different breed and they have strict rules against rape or homosexual behavior, which is why active gang members don't victimize others in that manner. They don't need AB or EME to be around to tell them that either, it's ingrained in the convict code. Different states have different prison cultures/politics and I think fitting them all in the discussion of a particular subject doesn't work well. So while your statistics are correct (when it comes to institutions in certain parts of the country), it's not really relevant to California, or the type of convict culture players are portraying in-game. The gang member characters you see people portray on the server wouldn't be acting in a homosexual way in jail. I remember back in the "old days" of GTA role playing, prison rape was acted out semi-serious, but eventually it stopped being a thing, not because players have a "childish" view of prison, but because they researched what they're portraying, and realized the convicts/gangs they model characters after don't engage in behavior like that in modern times.

Edited by Gecko
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, DoomedAmerica said:

Both organizations prohibit rape and even more homosexuality among their ranks, if the people who control these prisons prohibit such why do you think RAPE in prison (Specifically California) is a common occurring thing, if anyone is found to be a rapist/homosexual they aren't accepted or allowed to hang with either car and will likely be killed, there's plenty of stories by people who have done time in prison that details killings of homosexuals within California state prisons. 

5 minutes ago, Gecko said:

Rape or homosexuality isn't a thing within the general population of California prisons. It still happens in some other states, but for the most part it isn't an occurrence in California (except sensitive needs yards). It used to be back until the 70s-80s, even among the prison gangs in California, but not anymore. I guess this is where miscommunication happens between you and the other sides, because they're talking California prison politics, and you're linking Georgia prison statistics. While you might get some booty bandit messing with inmates in states like Alabama, California prisons are a different breed and they have strict rules against rape or homosexual behavior, which is why active gang members don't victimize others in that manner. They don't need AB or EME to be around to tell them that either, it's ingrained in the convict code. Different states have different prison cultures/politics and I think fitting them all in the discussion of a particular subject doesn't work well. So while your statistics are correct (when it comes to institutions in certain parts of the country), it's not really relevant to California, or the type of convict culture players are portraying in-game. The gang member characters you see people portray on the server wouldn't be acting in a homosexual way in jail. I remember back in the "old days" of GTA role playing, prison rape was acted out semi-serious, but eventually it stopped being a thing, not because players have a "childish" view of prison, but because they researched what they're portraying, and realize the convicts/gangs they model characters after don't engage in behavior like that in modern times.

These are both true. I realized where the confusion lied when Doomed posted earlier, because I was thinking more broadly, not specifically California.

You're definitely correct on all counts. I personally don't like portraying California more than a subtly satirical cynical version of America as a vague, general concept rather than a specific re enactment of a state, but that's a topic for a different time.

Thank you for the clarification.

Edited by maramizo
5 hours ago, maramizo said:

What's your source? 

"In a survey of 1,788 male inmates in Midwestern prisons by Prison Journal, about 21% claimed they had been coerced or pressured into sexual activity during their incarceration, and 7% claimed that they had been raped in their current facility." — Struckman-Johnson, Cindy; Struckman-Johnson, David (2016). "Sexual Coercion Rates in Seven Midwestern Prison Facilities for Men"

"Between 2011 and 2015, the increase in allegations and substantiated incidents of sexual victimization occurred across all types of correctional facilities. The number of allegations in prisons increased 180 percent (from 6,660 to 18,666), and the number in jails increased 184 percent (from 2,047 to 5,809). The number of substantiated incidents in jails more than doubled, from 284 in 2011 to 576 in 2015, while the number of substantiated incidents in prisons rose 44 percent, from 605 to 873." — Bureau of Justice Statistics

I think most people on this server have a childish view of what actually goes down in prison.

I'm just going to put this out there, as-well. If there's 5 homosexuals in the prison, then they will nearly coerce everybody that they encounter to have sex with them. Weaker targets tend to submit to the will of these people if they are generally unprotected by their car. It's still shunned, by the general population, to engage in homosexual acts in these prisons, throughout the U.S... they use certain tactics to lure "fresh meat" into these acts, which includes placing a candy bar on their pillow as a "gift" or "message" that they are interested in them. If the person takes the candy bar? Then, they are in-debt to the person, as the "gift" is really a "favour" in exchange for a "favour". If you sit with a homosexual in the prisons, which accidentally happens with A LOT OF FRESH MEAT since they are UNAWARE of the politics within prison? Then, they'll be coerced by the homosexual, which also then leads to the larger groups of general population to shun the person. What then happens is that the new-comer either A) Publically denounces the homosexual to regain their reputation or B) Becomes their bitch, as they're only protected by the homosexual since the general population already discovered that they are weak. This is how coercion works, on numerous occasions, and can easily happen to newcomers with only 1-5 homosexuals in a pod, at a time.

When you enter the pod, people crack jokes and insult you, at first... guess what the homosexual does? "Hey, come sit with me". That's how it starts. When you lack a commissary? The homosexual bribes you with candy bars. That's how it escalates.

In a SENSE... the Homosexuals are like their own Car. They don't cause problems with the "top dawgs" of the pod and generally target weaker subjects. If you're hanging with the homosexual, then that's your only friend.

Sometimes, you'll have homosexuals that are stronger than most of the people in the pod, which just leads to people forcing themselves to "accept him" without really engaging with him.

My source comes from actual people in prison... from Virginia to Toronto (worst in California). It's shunned upon. Some places will jump homosexuals on site while other prisons will simply isolate them. 

Just because it happens the minority of the time, doesn't mean that it's accepted. General Population, which is the majority, oppose homosexuality. 

It's almost like high-school... before society became "progressive". If you were new in school and befriended the "weird loner", then you were "weird and weak", just like him. To regain that rep, you'd have to stoop to the level of the majority by ending the connection with that person, which can be hard since you're risking losing your only friend for a POSSIBILITY of gaining that respect back. If every one's insulting you and cracking jokes about you and this one homosexual is treating you like a king, then you'd probably stick with the homosexual, which is why coercion and rape is at those percentages.

All it takes is one mistake to ruin your rep, for life, in a prison... if you can't fight? Then, good luck gaining that rep back.

Edited by DLimit
4 hours ago, Midwest said:

This 

4 hours ago, DoomedAmerica said:

and this. If you're a sexual offender and you somehow land in genpop or ad-seg with inmates who aren't sex offenders you will be most likely killed. Here's an example from LA County jail;
85cbb1e6b02af3295bd40c7193d0a237.png

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
  • Wuhtah locked this topic