Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

10 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

The topic of what is and isn't fun isn't a discussion you can meaningfully have, predominantly because "fun" isn't a real tangible factor

Precisely my point, which is why the argument that a prison time percentage mechanic should be implemented regardless of whether criminals like it or not, because "fun" is not a real tangible factor.

That said, my offer still stands. My stance is that running is a realistic fear response and should not come with the risk of permanent, irreversible punishment, while simultaneously letting criminals run away from the police without a similar risk.

If I run from a criminal and I am gunned down, I am forever denied access to my character henceforth. If a criminal runs from the police, they cannot be lethally killed without violent provocation and in the end, they spend an hour in prison.

Seems more than a fair exchange.

2 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Precisely my point, which is why the argument that a prison time percentage mechanic should be implemented regardless of whether criminals like it or not, because "fun" is not a real tangible factor.

That said, my offer still stands. My stance is that running is a realistic fear response and should not come with the risk of permanent, irreversible punishment, while simultaneously letting criminals run away from the police without a similar risk.

If I run from a criminal and I am gunned down, I am forever denied access to my character henceforth. If a criminal runs from the police, they cannot be lethally killed without violent provocation and in the end, they spend an hour in prison.

Seems more than a fair exchange.

As long as a time percentage mechanic also considers people who can't play 8 hours a day. I also agree that you should be able to run without being subjected to a character kill. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, eTaylor said:

As long as a time percentage mechanic also considers people who can't play 8 hours a day.

Hence the significant downgrade. I barely have time to play at all (which makes muggings more profound when they happen every time I log in), so the percentage absolutely takes that into account.

One hour out of sixty is a considerable downsize, but the factors that play into that number are largely just aimed at taking limited play time into account. Depending on the severity of the crime, it could scale up to two, three, or even five hours, but I could not begin to fathom sticking someone into prison for much more than that regardless of their crime.

8 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I also agree that you should be able to run without being subjected to a character kill. 

Indeed. A PK is fine, losing inventory is fine, I would even be willing to have hospital time made similarly required much as prison time is required for criminals...

...but a CK is too much. 

• Upvote 1
  • Jeff_ locked this topic

I'll unlock on behalf of the forum moderation team. If you want to continue discussing this please read below.

It's sad to see topics that should be transparently discussed get locked because some bad apples are not able to keep the discussion civil.

I'll advise anyone posting here from now to take a deep breath before deciding their next course of action.

If someone was being passive-aggressive, toxic or negative then report the reply and carry on or if you do wish to reply ensure that you do so in a respectable manner.

For any posts below this one, I'll be issuing forum warning points that will place your posting ability under moderation for a week minimum. Please stay civil.

Edited by effion
  • effion unlocked this topic

Something of a pet peeve and a question I’d love to have answered by someone who’s a cop. Officers almost always say your name when they’ve interacted with you once. I’ve had deputies and officers I haven’t seen for literally months suddenly call me by name, even when the encounter was so obscure that I hardly recognize them myself. This happens before being identified through the MDC or anything else. These aren’t people I see everyday and my character is anything but remarkable.  It creates the impression that people just look at my name tag because they’ve interacted with me at some point in the past. Is that intentional? Or do people never simulate forgetting someone’s name because it hovers above their head? 

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

Something of a pet peeve and a question I’d love to have answered by someone who’s a cop. Officers almost always say your name when they’ve interacted with you once. I’ve had deputies and officers I haven’t seen for literally months suddenly call me by name, even when the encounter was so obscure that I hardly recognize them myself. This happens before being identified through the MDC or anything else. These aren’t people I see everyday and my character is anything but remarkable.  It creates the impression that people just look at my name tag because they’ve interacted with me at some point in the past. Is that intentional? Or do people never simulate forgetting someone’s name because it hovers above their head? 

Mix of three things on top of the two you mentioned, the third just being people being lazy. Depends on how serious the specific roleplayer is. In my entire time rping I've only met maybe 5-6 willing to go the length to rp things like being super forgetful of names. Most of the decent rpers won't immediately recognize in most cases but will still grasp onto knowing names more casually and in depth than the average person. 

5 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I guess people just don't simulate it? I've never even noticed this being an issue and I currently roleplay in an LEO faction.

For my own part I tend to roleplay not knowing somebody's name by default, even if we have rped before, unless that other character is somebody my own would have been around a lot (eg a coworker or maybe a habitual offender). I would've thought that's a pretty simple concept and assumed most people did the same?

And I'm not sure if you were including jail interactions in this, but somebody might bring it up. It happens in jail because a) inmates wear identifying items and b) realistically a custody deputy would work the same pod and get to know the people in there, even if you're only there for a couple of hours OOC.

• 2 weeks later...

Old server I came from you could go to jail for up to 14 days if not for life. Criminals tended to be smarter about doing crimes because youknow, there's actual danger. This gave some prison roleplay and made going to prison a thing people really wanted to avoid.

I've always been an illegal rper and I fully support longer prison sentence. Make it a roleplay opportunity rather than an ooc inconvenience. 

4 hours ago, croozerdog said:

Old server I came from you could go to jail for up to 14 days if not for life. Criminals tended to be smarter about doing crimes because youknow, there's actual danger. This gave some prison roleplay and made going to prison a thing people really wanted to avoid.

I've always been an illegal rper and I fully support longer prison sentence. Make it a roleplay opportunity rather than an ooc inconvenience. 

I second this. Longer prison sentences would change so many things for the better - the number of people in TTCF, thus the RP opportunities for both inmates and custody deputies; people's approach towards committing crimes; being able to spend actual time in prison and add valuable development to your character's story rather than have it be an OOC inconvenience, as you said, to name a few.

• Wuhtah locked this topic