Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

I haven't had many times where I needed to go to TTCF, but the times I did (One of them being while I write this, after waiting for OVER TWO HOURS) everything feels clunky and unorganized, mostly due to the lack of staff.

I wanted to make a suggestion about it, but wanted to know your thoughts regarding the subject first.

What I wanted to suggest is, since criminal RP is in such a bad shape (As far as I know), I consider some of it could be fixed by re-adding the afk kick we had some time ago for inmates and players on shift (including businesses). Also make it so jail time doesn't go through if you're offline, it's well known many players simply log off until their time is over and get released with no RP, by making said changes, and maybe removing the x3 bonus from RPing, Going to jail would have an actual impact in everyone's roleplay, hopefully reduce the amount of third-world crime we have such as drive-by murderers in the middle of a metropolis.

It would also boost prison RP and perhaps make it more interesting for prison guards too.

I think by improving the punishments, crime would reduce a bit, I don't know how this works behind the scenes, but I feel like (no offense intended) with a more competent law enforcement, both legal and Ilegal RP would improve greatly. It makes no sense to rob someone at gun point in Legion Square, doesn't matter if it's 3 A.M., it's the city center and we're all supposed to RP our surroundings, which conveniently very rarely happens when criminal activities happen.

What do you think about it? Would you change anything from my suggestion? Maybe change something else? I'd love to know!

Edited by Amellis
Corrected some typos :)

Unfortunately, you are going to find that very few in the criminal community will support the notion of making any jail time attendance mandatory, despite most of the potential issues being addressed fully.

It would help, certainly, but there is just too much resistance against the idea.

"it's well known many players simply log off until their time is over and get released with no RP"

"maybe removing the x3 bonus from RPing"

so you don't like that people don't rp their sentences, but then propose to remove an incentive for people to log in and rp their sentences?

"with a more competent law enforcement, both legal and Ilegal RP would improve greatly. It makes no sense to rob someone at gun point in Legion Square"

what does an incompetent law enforcement have to do with people choosing to have shootouts in legion square, lmfao.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, DasFroggy said:

Unfortunately, you are going to find that very few in the criminal community will support the notion of making any jail time attendance mandatory, despite most of the potential issues being addressed fully.

It would help, certainly, but there is just too much resistance against the idea.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, joshua said:

"it's well known many players simply log off until their time is over and get released with no RP"

"maybe removing the x3 bonus from RPing"

so you don't like that people don't rp their sentences, but then propose to remove an incentive for people to log in and rp their sentences?

"with a more competent law enforcement, both legal and Ilegal RP would improve greatly. It makes no sense to rob someone at gun point in Legion Square"

what does an incompetent law enforcement have to do with people choosing to have shootouts in legion square, lmfao.

People do that and walk away freely, a competent law enforcement would investigate and, in 2021, it's very likely the shooters would get caught.
For the jail time, no, I don't propose to remove an incentive for people to rp their sentence, I propose an incentive to be careful when commiting crimes, nowadays a single murder can damage very badly, if not shut down an entire crime organization.

1 minute ago, Amellis said:

People do that and walk away freely, a competent law enforcement would investigate and, in 2021, it's very likely the shooters would get caught.

only so much investigation work can be done when we receive literally zero evidence given there's no witnesses, no footage, no casings, just a dead body laying in the city center with no indication of what happened except COMBAT PISTOL - HEAD - 50 DAMAGE printed three times in their damages

5 minutes ago, joshua said:

only so much investigation work can be done when we receive literally zero evidence given there's no witnesses, no footage, no casings, just a dead body laying in the city center with no indication of what happened except COMBAT PISTOL - HEAD - 50 DAMAGE printed three times in their damages

I appreciate the insight, as I specified, I don't know how things work behind the scenes and I mean no offense to anyone, but that's not too far off from the crazy days of the wild west, and criminals were caught back then too. Not as much, I agree on that, and we do need better ways if that's all you get. If that's all you look for, that's all you get.

Edited by Amellis
8 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Many thanks for the laugh, you are correct that it has been suggested, though that very thread is facing some resistance. It seems real, tangible consequences are somehow unfavorable?

Tbh, the criminal community is pretty firmly behind the suggestion I linked. The issue is others have made suggestions in the same vain that would also increase the jail time to match IRL sentencing guidelines. That of course is ridiculous and uncalled for and a lot of people have spoken out against it. It's not that criminal players are against being mandated to spend time in jail. It's that jail still lacks the population and features to make it enjoyable for a month straight IRL. It's something I'm not opposed to in the future, but at least with the suggestion I linked we can test the waters to see how increasing the require IGT percentage effects the jails overall activity. If we just take a hard right and start sentencing people to IRL years? It won't help jail activity, people will just shelve those characters and start doing the exact same thing on an alt. Ultimately undoing the drop in crime rate people are eager to see from such a change.

TLDR: What seems like the community being divide is actually an extremely vocal minority trying to steer people towards their suggestion.

Edited by Henning
11 minutes ago, Henning said:

Tbh, the criminal community is pretty firmly behind the suggestion I linked. The issue is others have made suggestions in the same vain that would also increase the jail time to match IRL sentencing guidelines. That of course is ridiculous and uncalled for and a lot of people have spoken out against it. It's not that criminal players are against being mandated to spend time in jail. It's that jail still lacks the population and features to make it enjoyable for a month straight IRL. It's something I'm not opposed to in the future, but at least with the suggestion I linked we can test the waters to see how increasing the require IGT percentage effects the jails overall activity. If we just take a hard right and start sentencing people to IRL years? It won't help jail activity, people will just shelve those characters and start doing the exact same thing on an alt. Ultimately undoing the drop in crime rate people are eager to see from such a change.

I've seen that suggestion a few times, I can't say I agree with locking a character for a year, same as a month might look a bit excessive, but as far as I know such sentences are for serious crimes, if you don't want to serve a month of jail, just as an IRL criminal wouldn't want to serve 10 years for killing someone... There are other ways, like... Framing said person, extorting them (Not like business extortion, but rather "You open your mouth, that's the last thing you do" type of extortion, or simply do your best to avoid getting caught.

Keeping the current times, without inactivity affecting it, would be a good middle ground in my opinion.

Edited by Amellis
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • effion unlocked this topic