Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

41 minutes ago, DLimit said:

"Prison itself is a punishment on a player, it directly impacts their control over the storylines they roleplay in, and they have to now roleplay in a different environment and potentially slow down their development (or bring some brand new points to their development)"

You have to be kidding me... I'm a criminal roleplayer, and prison is a PART of criminal R.P.

It doesn't hinder your storyline, it is A PART of your storyline. If you want your story to be perfect? Go write a book. In an R.P. server? One must develop according to the situations that one has put themselves in, which could be at random. In this case? It's going to prison after committing a crime.

In character punishment. Being in prison will make you miss out on possibly crucial events going on outside.

1 minute ago, DeadPlaya said:

In character punishment. Being in prison will make you miss out on possibly crucial events going on outside.

Just like the real world. If you're caught? Then, you suffer the consequences and develop from it.

I honestly never understood the argument that prison is an OOC punishment. It’s not, you’re metagaming by saying it is, cause you’re mixing OOC and IC. 

Prison is punishment for your character due to the actions they took. 

if you feel like YOU are being punished then perhaps take a step back and reflect on the issue, because to me, personally, it sounds like you’re self-inserting into your character. 

this isn’t aimed at anyone specifically, by the way, but if you think it is, you perhaps fit the above description of self-inserting. 

• Upvote 2

I think everyone should consider going to jail a massive part of their character's 'development'. If you're roleplaying a career criminal (a gang member or otherwise), going to jail is pretty much part of 'the life'. It's a rite of passage and an opportunity to roleplay a more hardened, experienced and probably better respected criminal. Most criminal business connections irl tend to come out of networking in jails and prisons. It'd be cool to see that happen more.

If your character isn't specifically a 'criminal', then going to jail is an even bigger deal. It might be traumatic or something they want to leave behind. It's probably shameful, they're now a felon.

Either way, people should make an effort to look at roleplaying in jail as a positive experience. There might be some legitimate practical issues that might hamper your experience (like activity) but unless you're one of the few players who has a +10-type timezone, that excuse really doesn't fly anymore. With the exception of off days, there tends to be a hell of a lot going on in jail at overall peak times, and there's usually some roleplay at peak American times too. There's a bit more going on with custody within LSSD these days, including some upcoming additions that will hopefully see more-or-less permanent roleplay going on around TTCF outside of regular jail duties.

Edited by Large Hazard
On 3/2/2021 at 5:35 AM, Glitch said:

I honestly never understood the argument that prison is an OOC punishment. It’s not, you’re metagaming by saying it is, cause you’re mixing OOC and IC. 

Never mind the "it's just five minutes" argument with regards to robberies.

Sure, five minutes - plus the hour that it took to obtain the 5k that was stolen, potentially many more hours depending on whether the individual stole a weapon or other valuable objects.

But oh no, they might have to play their other criminal character for a few days while the timer ticks down, never actually playing in jail for a single hour.

The horror.

• Wuhtah locked this topic