Current Weather System Discussion

np

Hi! Recently I've been having some discussions with a few people on Discord about the current weather system that has been implemented onto the server. A lot of our conversations have begun to revolve around the current temperature system and how accurate that is to the climate in Los Angeles county, an area that is basically the direct inspiration for the GTA: V map and, consequently, the GTA: World map. I personally have felt that the weather system doesn't directly portray current L.A. county weather, which sometimes leads to odd occurrences like rain every few hours, sub-40 degree weather, etc. I'd like to ask specifically what the current weather system is based on, and how the developers of the server came about choosing this system over basing it directly on the current weather of a city in L.A. county (like Los Angeles) from a source like The Weather Channel. And, to follow this up, does the weather system need improvement or does it not affect roleplay in the grand scheme of things?

Edited by proletariat
  • Upvote 1

For the most part, the weather doesn't change the roleplay unless of course it's raining or something.

A thing I'd like to see go away for good is snow but that's just me. That's another thing though that will change the type of roleplay that you do. I do agree that the ingame weather should directly match the one in LA, that'd be awesome. Like if it was such and such degrees and it was raining in LA it'd be cool to see in LS, but I am not sure how possible it is to do that.

45 minutes ago, Edward_Ramos said:

agreed. it shouldn't be that hard to use LA's real-time weather and run with it.

I was under the impression that's what it was supposed to do, but obviously it doesn't look like it's working. I do like it when it does rain but it does definitely need less.

Less often, but if there's bad weather, there's nothing wrong with it lasting all day either.

I might be wrong but the past three days I think I've all the time seen rain switch to sunshine immediately (after suddenly setting in and lasting half an hour).

I'd not necessarily lobby to tie the weather to irl LA, but a little more consistency (typically to sunny weather) could not hurt, currently rain indeed often makes more the impression off the daily monsoon rains rather than bad weather and good weather days exchanging, and we certainly do not rp the subtropical climate zone.

41 minutes ago, knppel said:

Less often, but if there's bad weather, there's nothing wrong with it lasting all day either.

I might be wrong but the past three days I think I've all the time seen rain switch to sunshine immediately (after suddenly setting in and lasting half an hour).

I'd not necessarily lobby to tie the weather to irl LA, but a little more consistency (typically to sunny weather) could not hurt, currently rain indeed often makes more the impression off the daily monsoon rains rather than bad weather and good weather days exchanging, and we certainly do not rp the subtropical climate zone.

Pretty much this. I'd like warmer weather overall, and a more natural distribution of rainy weather. A couple of rainy and cloudy days followed by sunnier days would be better than sudden, random, brief, rainstorms. More than the amount of rain, I feel like the main issue is the unpredictability and randomness of it.

When it rains currently, it always goes light -> medium -> heavy -> torrential downpour monsoon tidal wave fuck show -> sunny.

I'm curious as to what the options are and limitations of the scripting here. Like... can certain normal weather transition patterns be setup, and some sort of timed job be the thing that triggers the shift?