Current Weather System Discussion

np

I understand some of you don't like imitating LA, or that this is San Andreas, however you have to keep in mind that we have been given a massive opportunity by Rockstar Games with a game that is high quality and resembles Los Angeles to the best of it's ability. We should take advantage of that, especially as a heavy role-play server. There's nothing wrong with some rain here and there and weird weather from time to time, as that happens. I believe importing LA's weather real-time and importing a few custom-weather modes from time to time on developer/administrator discretion would contribute much more to the aesthetics of the game and the server as a whole. I believe that this direction, what we want to portray can be clarified by @Nervous and put this discussion to bed, about if it is wrong focusing on the direction of imitating what's happening in LA, or strictly keeping it fiction-only, or perharps doing a mix of both.

• Upvote 2
On 12/13/2020 at 11:33 AM, harry said:

I understand some of you don't like imitating LA, or that this is San Andreas, however you have to keep in mind that we have been given a massive opportunity by Rockstar Games with a game that is high quality and resembles Los Angeles to the best of it's ability. We should take advantage of that, especially as a heavy role-play server. There's nothing wrong with some rain here and there and weird weather from time to time, as that happens. I believe importing LA's weather real-time and importing a few custom-weather modes from time to time on developer/administrator discretion would contribute much more to the aesthetics of the game and the server as a whole. I believe that this direction, what we want to portray can be clarified by @Nervous and put this discussion to bed, about if it is wrong focusing on the direction of imitating what's happening in LA, or strictly keeping it fiction-only, or perharps doing a mix of both.

The problem is that we don't know who we are supposed to be ICly. Do we replace LA? Different answers are given by different people, and "continuity management" has never made one single, cohesive thread to "set the facts" straight. So until we get that thread (preferably in the Server Information subforum where people can easily find and refer to it), this is and will always be a useless back and forth argument

I pinged the continuity team.

However, development side speaking, we took Los Angeles' past years values and use them for our temperatures. It allows us to have a proper forecast and change values if necessary.

Real time APIs do not allow us such freedom, and we can't really follow IRL weather values for rain / cloud / sun as it's always somewhat cloudy most of the year in LA. We used to do it in 2017 and it was really bad.

I like our current system, if rain needs to be decreased it can definitely be decreased manually a bit, but the discussion here seems to be more about continuity. 

Hi Nervous,

Thankyou for that information - with respect, I think there has perhaps been some data input issues?

In 2019 - there were only 8 nights where the weather was ever below 10C and it never went below 7C - frequently IG it seems to be colder. - That could be confirmation bias, but rarely do I see temperatures above 20C (which if you look at the below graph, is not that uncommon).

As for rain, it only ever rained on 5 days for a few hours each time - yet as someone who probably plays on the server far too much, I struggle to think of a single day where it hasn't rained. (if there has been, it certainly is rare!).

LA weather source: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/los-angeles/historic?month=12&year=2019

• Upvote 1