Current Weather System Discussion

np

I guess I want consistency when it comes to us being a "Heavy RP" server & what that means.

It makes zero sense that we are surrounded by desert and yet have the rainfall we do.

I know a 'warm' winter is not what Europeans are used to but we are not playing in a satirical version of Paris or London (or even somewhere in Italy), we're RPing in a satirical city of Los Angeles, California. Locations to the equator are warm throughout all of the year and have very little rainfall.

I do agree with previous posters however, the weather would be far better if there was a gradual degradation of the weather into rainfall, rather than instantly going sun->rain. As things are, it's very difficult to dress correctly when you are in bright sunny weather and then suddenly in the middle of a down pour!

As mentioned by others — a change is needed. Not a massive one, just a lot more consistency. It's painful to see when the temperature goes from 25C to 6C. It just doesn't happen in the real world. If it's a cold day? Let it say around 10; allow it fluctuate between 8 and 12. It's a warm day? Let it stay around 18; allow it to fluctuate between 16 and 20. It's winter afterall. Of course these are just examples to prove my point.

I've played considerably a lot in the past two months, and honestly I've seen it rain 2-3 times a day at times. It also just doesn't happen, or very rarely. At least not in the state we're trying to portray. Don't get me wrong — rain is awesome if it happens once or twice a week. But not every day. Not multiple times a day. It just makes it all dull and demotivates people which will result in them not roleplaying the effects at all.

Please, use some common sense when adjusting the weather/temperature script. You can't just throw the values in a randomizer and let it spit it out whatever. There's got to be some logic behind it, which we all know a randomizer won't achieve. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

I guess I want consistency when it comes to us being a "Heavy RP" server & what that means.

It makes zero sense that we are surrounded by desert and yet have the rainfall we do.

I know a 'warm' winter is not what Europeans are used to but we are not playing in a satirical version of Paris or London (or even somewhere in Italy), we're RPing in a satirical city of Los Angeles, California. Locations to the equator are warm throughout all of the year and have very little rainfall.

I do agree with previous posters however, the weather would be far better if there was a gradual degradation of the weather into rainfall, rather than instantly going sun->rain. As things are, it's very difficult to dress correctly when you are in bright sunny weather and then suddenly in the middle of a down pour!

Technically surrounded by ocean. But yeah, I'm with you on consistency.

Oh, and, we're not RPing in a satirical world. Sure, Rockstar's GTA is satirical, and we do use vehicle and property names from its world, but that doesn't mean we're after satire here.

1 hour ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Locations to the equator are warm throughout all of the year and have very little rainfall.

You ever heard of the Amazon Rainforest? Southern China? Florida? Central Africa? All on the equator and rain enough to turn each of those climates into different flavors of constantly soggy. Being on the equator actually means an increase in rainfall due to rapid evaporation. Except Florida, Florida just hates itself and thinks it's on the god damn equator.

With that out of the way, LA isn't on the equator anyways.

"The climate of Los Angeles is a year-round mild-to-hot and mostly dry climate for the LA metropolitan area in California. The climate is classified as a Mediterranean climate, which is a type of dry subtropical climate. It is characterized by seasonal changes in rainfall—with a dry summer and a winter rainy season."

LA is a quasi desert/seaborne Mediterranean climate that experiences HEAVY bouts of inconsistent rainfall. It doesn't rain much in LA, but when it does, it floods.

LA's rainfall can sometimes last for days, and than rain won't return for months depending on conditions. Why? Because LA sits on a dry air collection basin due to it's lateral location on the Californian coast. Think of it like a bowl that collects dry air, and pushes it out to sea. Since it pushes out hot, dry air into the sea, it pushes away rain clouds and other weather conditions. That is, until it collides with cold air from the North, which can create these massive weather systems that rain all the way to Baja. It also doesn't get the cool Alaskan air that causes the rainfall North of San Bernadino.

California itself is something of a weird example for weather enthusiasts. However for the most part it's rather boring all around.

If we take a quick forecast for the LA area, here's what we got.

cdd10e7d3d92c1f1b4c1a7a1d0c91b28.png

Dry, three days of possible rainfall. Dry, dry, dry, dry, dry dry etc. It's also somewhat chilly over the winter due to it being a quasi desert in the area.

Whats the point of this rant? That straight copying LA's weather patterns is probably infeasible unless you wanna be rained on more often. The system should change to fix how the rain comes in. It'd be nice if it was cloudy than it hit with rain. (Also to people complaining about sudden heavy rain, this happens in a lot of climates where rain will pour at heavy levels, LA is one of them. It's why it floods so often). Otherwise, I don't think people would enjoy three straight days of rain and misery. I would, but I'm a weatherguy masochist. I also want an Earthquake to happen.

tl;dr cloudy before rain, la's weather is weird but mostly dry. it does rain in patterns and rains a lot. it floods a ton in the winter. its also kinda cold.

Edited by KinnyWynny

just one-to-one LA weather so people can't bitch eitherway on the "boo hoo we want snow" and "boo hoo we want heat". Just slap real-time LA weather with the excuse of 'muh immersion' and move on.

>sick of the rain

>sick of the cold

>fuck snow 

tips fedora

As you'd expect for sunny Southern California, nine out of 10 days are dry. Downtown L.A. only averages 36 days a year with measurable rain. Both Chicago and New York typically have 3 to 4 times more wet days per year than Los Angeles.

Food for thought. Just because there is a 'chance' of rain in LA's weather still means the vast majority of days (9/10), there isn't rain.

FYI SoCal has a much dryer heat than a place that's humid like Florida, which is why Florida doesn't have a huge desert on it's doorstep.

I'm not sure if there are stats, but it seems like it rains every single day IG right now, so maybe the %chances need tweaking or something, idk.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
2 hours ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

I'm not sure if there are stats, but it seems like it rains every single day IG right now, so maybe the %chances need tweaking or something, idk.

Yeah something needs tweaking. I love the rain personally but it's way too frequent. It should honestly be 95% clear/cloudy etc.