What do you wanna see from gang RP?

Sixth

1 minute ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

That's a bit of a strawman, since no-one claimed that.

However, most gangs aren't in daily deadly confrontations like it's some warzone, because if they were, there would be far more killings, which again, there are not.

Unless you have some evidence to the contrary, it just seems the way you see it is based on your perception of gang crime vs evidence and facts.

The way I see it is based on what I know, gang life is no joke and it can get extremely violent extremely quickly, that's just the way it is.

Guys, I think you're not gonna reach any productive conclusion if you're just getting petty and not willing to listen to each other.

It's obvious that gang violence is real. It's real in the way that if it escalates, there's no stopping it — same as with the mob mentality.

It's also a valid point that gangs themselves don't look for trouble. If people in a gang haven't reached a point of no return (if they haven't been provoked and set on the course to conflict), they actually care not to shit in their own backyard. Which is their neighborhood.

You should be willing to acknowledge each other's points if we are to progress anywhere here instead of bickering for years like that other community that shall remain unnamed.

1 minute ago, yerro said:

Guys, I think you're not gonna reach any productive conclusion if you're just getting petty and not willing to listen to each other.

It's obvious that gang violence is real. It's real in the way that if it escalates, there's no stopping it — same as with the mob mentality.

It's also a valid point that gangs themselves don't look for trouble. If people in a gang haven't reached a point of no return (if they haven't been provoked and set on the course to conflict), they actually care not to shit in their own backyard. Which is their neighborhood.

You should be willing to acknowledge each other's points if we are to progress anywhere here instead of bickering for years like that other community that shall remain unnamed.

I'm willing to listen bro its old girl that isn't listening ??? She keeps tryna argue using statistics when I'm just tryna lay out facts lmao. I'm willing to (and have) acknowledge(d) her points.

The truth is that the only reason homicides are currently down in LA irl is gang truces. Most Sureno/Hoover/Crip/Blood gangs are currently in the midst of a truce, so there's alot less aggression going on. There's no such truce ingame, so obviously most of these sets are still at war on an IC basis.

1 minute ago, Ears Up said:

I'm willing to listen bro its old girl that isn't listening ??? She keeps tryna argue using statistics when I'm just tryna lay out facts lmao. I'm willing to (and have) acknowledge(d) her points.

The truth is that the only reason homicides are currently down in LA irl is gang truces. Most Sureno/Hoover/Crip/Blood gangs are currently in the midst of a truce, so there's alot less aggression going on. There's no such truce ingame, so obviously most of these sets are still at war on an IC basis.

Even with a truce in action, 1992 did not see a de-escalation in violence.

In fact, it only got worse!

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-01-05-me-819-story.html

At the end of the day, it's important to remember that it's a game and it's not (can't, won't, and lastly, should not be) a 1:1 of real-life. Play simulators for that, there's an abundance on the market. Shooting in Grand Theft Auto is fun, people do it.

As for what I'd like to see more of — more hood parties. Heard it got pretty fun last night.

6 minutes ago, Wirbelwind said:

At the end of the day, it's important to remember that it's a game and it's not (can't, won't, and lastly, should not be) a 1:1 of real-life. Play simulators for that, there's an abundance on the market. Shooting in Grand Theft Auto is fun, people do it.

As for what I'd like to see more of — more hood parties. Heard it got pretty fun last night.

From what I'm led to understand, the current truce in LA has led to a slight decrease in violence, but anyway... You're exactly right, this is simply a game. As much as I'd love to see less murders in regards to gang feuds, I just can't call it. Some factions (whom I won't name) are incapable of roleplaying a realistic beef. They pull knives/other weapons during fights and force people's hands, so that guns have to be killed just so a bunch of people aren't stabbed up.

Edited by Ears Up
4 minutes ago, Wirbelwind said:

While I understand where you're coming from, and I'm fully supportive of the argument that it cannot be a 1:1 simulation, it's worth remembering that GTA World positions itself as a heavy roleplay server, and that would imply striving for realistic representation.

I won't disagree with the fact that most people here roleplay violent characters, so that's why you get exposed to it much more. Everyone wants a share.

And I can't say I judge them either. I mean, we come here to roleplay each for our own reasons, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to roleplay a violent character or just to have your character engaged in gun violence. It's fun.

All we can do is work together to create an environment everyone gets an equal chance to RP and feel immersed.

• Upvote 1

Nobody's denying the fact that gang life is brutal and violent. It's a well known fact. Murders aren't an everyday occurance but they are sadly far too common. That said, it should be noted that is a roleplay server at the end of the day, not a 1:1 simulation of everyday life. As I've said earlier, nobody would ever want to RP the full monotony and boredom of everyday life. 

1 hour ago, Ears Up said:

I don't think u know this but, the numbers are just the crimes that get reported. Nobody's saying it's the basis for gang life, but it's still a very big part of gang life. Gangs do violent things, that's just how it is and it's always gonna be like that.

NTM it's far from an extreme example, it's simply an example. There's countless other examples out there aswell. Oh, and I'd like to know where ur getting the 'less than 1 murder per day' thing from, if you look here https://homicide.latimes.com/ you'll see that those numbers are false, there's been atleast 10 murders in the first few weeks of this month alone, and these are only the bodies that get found.

Of course not all murders are reported. Civilians are encouraged to not talk to the police, that's obvious. But when a body is found and authorities are called, discerning whether or not that body is a victm of a homucide is a walk in the park.

Also, in my honest opinion, whenever a situation that doesn't require a murder ends in a murder, a huge amout of RP on both sides is lost. There's a lot of development and situations that could benefit from a state of conflict that doesn't end in two back-to-back block wipes.

Edited by DeadPlaya
  • Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, DeadPlaya said:

Also, in my honest opinion, whenever a situation that doesn't require a murder ends in a murder, a huge amout of RP on both sides is lost. There's a lot of development and situations that could benefit from a state of conflict that doesn't end in two back-to-back block wipes.

Very true. Too many people wanna quickly escalate the rivalry between two gangs. Block wipes get boring and annoying fast. People should be more creative when it comes to conflicts. The server needs more tag-banging, brawls, net-banging, stabbings, set-ups, robberies, etc.

1 hour ago, Ears Up said:

The way I see it is based on what I know, gang life is no joke and it can get extremely violent extremely quickly, that's just the way it is.

You're producing these statements as-if shoot-outs happen every day. As a former gang member from the early 2000s (which had a higher violent crime rate than 2020)... it's not like that. It isn't every day, or even every other day, within a hood. By Hood, I'm referring to a block. Let's examine Davis LTD, a location that generally has the majority of homicides within the server. Yesterday, alone? I had witnessed four murders as a gas station employee, in four different scenes. This VERY RARELY happens within ANY state in the U.S., far enough to even claim that it NEVER happens (excluding during riots, which would be labeled as one scene on server standards). Overall, we're addressing that homicide is becoming too common on the server, recommending that gangs should resort to alternative methods towards handling disputes beyond homicide. P.S. We're referring to gang-related shoot-outs, not homicide as a whole.

Even when I was active (not L.A., though. We'll take that into major consideration), we had brawls or fights between groups at least once a week. A stabbing once a month (victims would survive 90% of the time), at most. Shooting? A few dead youths on the block every year.

Not even heated Triple OGs resort to shoot-outs. They hire youths to stomp out a person.

Violence? Of course... homicide over every dang altercation? Not needed. That's the point that we're addressing.

Edited by DLimit
1 hour ago, yerro said:

While I understand where you're coming from, and I'm fully supportive of the argument that it cannot be a 1:1 simulation, it's worth remembering that GTA World positions itself as a heavy roleplay server, and that would imply striving for realistic representation.

I won't disagree with the fact that most people here roleplay violent characters, so that's why you get exposed to it much more. Everyone wants a share.

And I can't say I judge them either. I mean, we come here to roleplay each for our own reasons, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to roleplay a violent character or just to have your character engaged in gun violence. It's fun.

All we can do is work together to create an environment everyone gets an equal chance to RP and feel immersed.

I think this post hits it on the head pretty squarely.

I often see the argument of "GTA isn't real life and it shouldn't be" and while I respect where that viewpoint is coming from, I think that's a really subjective viewpoint. There are plenty of people on the server who would enjoy it more if the server leaned more towards realism. There are, of course, players who would enjoy the server to lean more towards fantasy. And there are plenty who want a mix of both.

Perhaps the biggest problem this server faces at the moment is that there is no clear consensus between the players or even between the staff about how realistic this server should be. What is the vision of this server with regards to realism? As long as there is disagreement and inconsistency on this, it will cause a lot of dissatisfaction. 

That's not to say that there can't be a little something for everyone, but as long as this lack of clarity exists, people who RP at different "realism" levels should be courteous to one another and compromise. One of the most frustrating things at the moment is that it feels like there are different standards of realism for different types of roleplayers, and as a legal RPer for instance it's really demotivating when my character is held to a standard which is more "realistic" than reality, but criminal RPers get to treat Los Santos more like it is a GTA city rather than a real world city.

Edited by Ink
  • Upvote 1
  • Fenrir locked this topic