What do you wanna see from gang RP?

Sixth

21 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Never denied that violent crimes were low. I'm only arguing that homicides are rarer than what is depicted on the server. Clearly, I realize this, as I stated that the assault rate is around six-hundred a year, which are only reported numbers. I had also stated that sets should resort to brawls, robberies etc... rather than homicide.

yeah man i hear what ur saying, personally? I think gun violence is only necessary if the beef is extremely heated, at the start of a beef shit should be limited to fights, threats, tags, internet shit talking etc, there's alot of rp that can be done with gang beef before it turns to full on shootings. The way I do shit, unless somebody's character does something that directly impacts my character in a heavily negative way, like to the point where my char would look like a punk if he didn't do something drastic like kill somebody.

However, that's only for yknow, extreme situations. I'm sure u know the types of situation i'm referring to.

Edited by Ears Up
46 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Yet, there's at least three deaths per day within Davis with a population of 500. On top of that, only around 100 people R.P. in Davis. Does one understand why homicide shouldn't be as common in the region? If people were executed over some thing as simple as "crossed out graffiti", then the homicide rate, within Compton, alone, would be much more higher than it's current state. We're referring to a population of almost a hundred-thousand, here, with the highest-density of gang-activity than most areas in the nation.

22 homicides in Compton means that it DOESN'T happen every day. Yet, on our server of 500 people? It happens three times a day. It's clearly overdone... gangs need to seek alternative methods towards handling their business. Brawls, fights, robberies etc... are more common than homicides. Most videos actually involve gangs confronting the "tagger" with a huge lesson, before POTENTIALLY jumping him... that's all. In return? The "tagger" DOESN'T shoot up the block... he either cowers away for weeks or returns with the set for a brawl.

That doesn't really work. People RP Los Santos is a city with population in the millions. There is no "city with 500 people". And not only that, this in the end is a game. Yes, it is a game that tries it's hardest to imitate real life but it is a game. No one roleplays their characters' entire 20-30 year lifetime, 24 hours a day. It's impossible. That's why events, characters, etc are all condensed, so people can go in-game and roleplay what they want without sleeping for 8 hours then working another 8. It's a game.

That said, shooting should still be a last resort.

Edited by DeadPlaya
  • Upvote 1

The issue is that most people gangbanging simply don't stop and think what it's really like to be in a gang. They RP drugs, rowdiness and then jump to extreme violence.

Violence isn't something gang member jump to, at least not at anywhere near the rate of some of the poorer roleplayers here. Violence makes up such a small % of a gang members time spent in a gang, which can be immediately noticed when you look at statistics on crime.

The facts are quite laid bare when you look at the statistics of a city like LA where the population is in the many millions, not a few hundred (like our server), and it has death rates literally many thousands lower than our server.

The poster above raises a point that we're 'condensing' events when we play here, however it's not condensed that much which excuse the violence portrayed by some players. 

There are far too many murders and far too much violence from so many gang players.

4 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

The issue is that most people gangbanging simply don't stop and think what it's really like to be in a gang. They RP drugs, rowdiness and then jump to extreme violence.

The reality is that being part of a gang is an extremely violent lifestyle. Most gang members expect to be dead by their mid 20's. Many of them suffer from PTSD, anger issues and other mental issues due to traumatic shit they've seen in their neighbourhoods, which leads them to use drugs, get rowdy, and then that's where the violence comes in.

Also it's worth mentioning some gang wars are too far beyond the point of no return so there's really no chance for anything like brawls or other stuff to be possible, when a gang's rivalry with another gang becomes set in stone, nothing stops it. If my character sees a member of a gang he despises for things that they've done to his friends, he's not going to think about fighting him, he's going to want to kill them. That's just how gang life is, extreme violence is usually a part of the equation.

Not to mention that when people talk about gangs brawling and jumping eachother, they fail to realize that if a gang member gets violated and jumped by 4-5 enemy gang members, he's going to be fuming, not only that? But his entire gang is going to punk him if he doesn't retaliate in some type of way, and usually that way is through a hail of gunfire. That's just how it is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/16/ms-13-gang-members-indicted-after-medieval-style-killing-spree-la/1746551001/

also gonna leave this here, just for a bit of reference, cause I mentioned a few replies ago that gang members kill over graffiti, well look at this.

In one of the most horrific allegations, several are accused of luring a perceived rival gang member who they believed to have defaced MS-13 graffiti to the forest outside Los Angeles and killed him with a machete

cut out his heart before dumping the remains into a canyon

The gang life is an unforgiving & savage place, it's filled with despair, hardship, dead friends, lost love and horrific violence. Not that I agree with the constant shootings over petty shit, but not all of the shootings are unjustified, some people are too quick to judge roleplay and don't know what's actually going on between the two gangs that are shooting it out.

i personally don't think gang rp should focus on gang violence too much because it'll become boring and a detriment to the rest of the system that functions on gtaworld when you have varrio killer 13 shooting down kill all crips piru on burton where uniform is, or when any civilian trying to interact with the gang either as a local or just a general bystander is robbed immediately and killed when resisting which also discourages people from even trying to roleplay with the faction in general, then it just becomes an inconvenience to try and deal with when the forum reports come in

gang factions should be a medium for community roleplay like someone said with block parties, rap battles, just people chilling and general (neighborhood) local-to-local interaction and while a lot of people will argue dumb shit like "wow thats not how gangs are like" you will find gang members have their own lives outside of the crimes they commit. even rivalries can form in your own gang and now you have an interesting narrative where the outcome can be getting backdoored, or the beef being settled/escalated, ecetera. that's how a faction history is formed, not when Evil Town Crips dm Vinewood 14 until they close the thread

all that gang violence shit can escalate into the streets and sure i won't discredit when a faction wants to roll on another faction in retaliation for something that happened but isn't it boring to just solve everything with an /acceptdeath dm instead of trying to help it build up and escalate into something interesting on the server?

just my 2 cents

Edited by baby woo

Pointing to extreme examples isn't the best way to articulate an honest discussion.

Of course there are episodes of extreme violence (no-one is denying that), however to portray this as a 'norm' and then use it as a basis to RP gang life around is simply a false way to approach gang life.

The simple violence statistics demonstrate this. Less than 1 murder per day across a city of 4 million people mean that the murder rate in LA is about as common as deaths due to driving.

While many gang members expect to be shot by the time they are twenty, does not mean the majority are.

Clearly in fact, that's not the case, because the numbers speak for themselves.

5 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Pointing to extreme examples isn't the best way to articulate an honest discussion.

Of course there are episodes of extreme violence (no-one is denying that), however to portray this as a 'norm' and then use it as a basis to RP gang life around is simply a false way to approach gang life.

The simple violence statistics demonstrate this. Less than 1 murder per day across a city of 4 million people mean that the murder rate in LA is about as common as deaths due to driving.

While many gang members expect to be shot by the time they are twenty, does not mean the majority are.

Clearly in fact, that's not the case, because the numbers speak for themselves.

I don't think u know this but, the numbers are just the crimes that get reported. Nobody's saying it's the basis for gang life, but it's still a very big part of gang life. Gangs do violent things, that's just how it is and it's always gonna be like that.

NTM it's far from an extreme example, it's simply an example. There's countless other examples out there aswell. Oh, and I'd like to know where ur getting the 'less than 1 murder per day' thing from, if you look here https://homicide.latimes.com/ you'll see that those numbers are false, there's been atleast 10 murders in the first few weeks of this month alone, and these are only the bodies that get found.

Edited by Ears Up
  • Fenrir locked this topic