Graffiti on police stations

Paenymion

Here is the rule directly from server rules;

"In order to promote a more realistic environment, several parts of the map will have the level of crime in them restricted. These areas would realistically have a high police or security presence (eg. active patrol stations, airports, the subway system), heavily populated and covered by CCTV (the downtown area and tourist areas) and high levels of traffic (major intersections and highways)."

• No Crime Zone — any area in which crime is forbidden no matter what.

As it stands doing any type of crime at a Police station is inherently against the server rules so there's little point to debate that fact, what would be more of a productive conversation would be if it should be allowed, perhaps it could be something to /report for in order to be supervised about an admin for example.
48 minutes ago, Viscaria said:

Here is the rule directly from server rules;

"In order to promote a more realistic environment, several parts of the map will have the level of crime in them restricted. These areas would realistically have a high police or security presence (eg. active patrol stations, airports, the subway system), heavily populated and covered by CCTV (the downtown area and tourist areas) and high levels of traffic (major intersections and highways)."

• No Crime Zone — any area in which crime is forbidden no matter what.

As it stands doing any type of crime at a Police station is inherently against the server rules so there's little point to debate that fact, what would be more of a productive conversation would be if it should be allowed, perhaps it could be something to /report for in order to be supervised about an admin for example.

Great point, as it currently stands..yeah this isn't allowed period. Though I personally don't see an issue with allowing graffiti; it is technically a form of expression and sometimes incredible art and I don't necessarily think it's something that should be reported for. Seems like an unnecessary hurdle for something so trivial, however it should still have proper motive and the placement should be VERY carefully considered. Perhaps something for scripted factions only? I can see it being used as dares etc for younger members and such to get some notoriety and honestly, anything that encourages something other than mindless robberies is a good thing.

However it does have the potential to open the floodgates for people to say "well this is allowed, why not this, why not that, why not stealing cars?" and that's not what we want, it would have to be clear that this would be the ONLY exception to the rule outside of vandalism during organized protests and such.

Edited by Moonsong
1 hour ago, Moonsong said:

Great point, as it currently stands..yeah this isn't allowed period. Though I personally don't see an issue with allowing graffiti; it is technically a form of expression and sometimes incredible art and I don't necessarily think it's something that should be reported for. Seems like an unnecessary hurdle for something so trivial, however it should still have proper motive and the placement should be VERY carefully considered. Perhaps something for scripted factions only? I can see it being used as dares etc for younger members and such to get some notoriety and honestly, anything that encourages something other than mindless robberies is a good thing.

However it does have the potential to open the floodgates for people to say "well this is allowed, why not this, why not that, why not stealing cars?" and that's not what we want, it would have to be clear that this would be the ONLY exception to the rule outside of vandalism during organized protests and such.

Yeah. It's sadly one of those things that cannot please everyone whichever direction it took, limiting it to official factions only could be a solution to ensure that proper roleplay is being done while doing this, but that also gates others not in such a faction who may offer fantastic roleplay to this aspect as well. It's not ideal to have admins supervise roleplay for sure, but I feel like it's the most fair workaround to this personally, and it should of course be done in moderation so that LEO factions aren't having to deal with graffiti on the station almost daily.

It's a crime free zone. People are doing it because they think it's "petty" and shouldn't be counted against the rules. For all purposes; if you are caught doing the act, and someone reports you, don't be mad if you catch a OOC warning for it. However, if you are caught in the act IC and an LEO member decides to arrest you? Tough luck. 

I'll bring it up to Management and assure we want to actually enforce this on an OOC level despite it being a crime-free zone or not.. But yeah. 

On 4/29/2023 at 6:48 AM, Paenymion said:

Like sure, you can get away with it in GTAW because there's actually not many people about.  But it just feels kind of odd that you could get away with this ICly.  What should my character think about this?  That these buildings are basically abandoned and so locals have started tagging them up?

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/lobby-of-south-los-angeles-lapd-station-damaged-after-man-walks-in-with-cart-on-fire/amp/

https://www.foxla.com/news/lapd-searching-for-protesters-who-vandalized-van-nuys-police-station.amp

https://www.lapd.com/article/lapd-newton-station-vandalized-after-officer-involved-shooting-police-union-blames-‘unruly

I say if you get caught you get caught, if you don’t you don’t. It also gives the city workers IC something to do by cleaning it off. 

Edited by bwarp
  • Upvote 1