Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

19 minutes ago, bartman said:

The refusal to even consider adjusting the server timezone from GMT is a massive mistake that leads to shafting every north american and oceanic timezoned player with doing business/playing at 2AM server time. I know people who legitimately haven't seen sunlight in game in months. I'd legitimately play a NA server over the main GTAW server at this point if a "licensed" one popped up like the RU or Italian servers. It's that bad.

At the very least lower the amount of hours where it's nighttime. Or plop it on some timezone in like the middle of the Atlantic that'd meet halfway like Bermuda (GMT-3) or something.

There's no real good solution to be honest tho. If you cater to the American players, then the Europeans won't be happy and vice versa. We're playing on a server where there are players from all over the world. No matter what timezone we switch to, some people will be thrown under the bus and there's nothing we can do about it. That's just how timezones work. You can't cater to everyone.

Unless... We accelerate the ingame time to twice the speed or so. Meaning... Time will no longer be 1:1 with real life... Meaning for example, 24 hours in game might equal 12 hours in real life. This will allow most players to see day and night and it'll please everyone but this change would cause even bigger concerns/problems and you can bet that people will try to argue or fight such a change. It'll also cause a ton of in-game confusion for a while with an accelerated in-game clock. I'll be a giant mess, but this will fix the original problem of Americans not being able to see daylight. 

We the people, of the American (And Oceanic, Asian brethren locked in this glorious crusade), demand a 6 hour cycle of day to night, 6 hours of day, six hours of night. Look to the left, look to the right, look at how we speed up all sorts of interactions to cater to players. Why not the day? Why not the sun? Are us, Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, Australians, Koreans, Japanese, and many more doomed to forever watch the moon and its destructive, oppressive darkness? Are we simply a coalition of the damned forever tormented by the darkness? Forever oppressed by those who call themselves European, who wave their screenshots set in the excellent lighting in the day. Laughing gleefully in their villas of sun and relaxation, for they have no need to squint their eyes to catch something in the dark, nor make odd excuses for being out so late in the night.

Nay I say, we have suffered far too much. We have been tossed to the side, tossed to the darkness, tossed the annals of roleplay irrelevancy.

Fellow citizens, I say no more, sign on, join the fight, come to the aid of those who wish to see the SUN! For once in a god-devoid server, I wish to not only see the red, white, and the blue, but the light to watch our AMERICAN (and other) flags wave gloriously in the daylight.

And if those demands are not met, dare I say, GTAW North America should be that shining city on a hill. God Bless North America, God Bless Australia, God Bless our Asian allies, god bless the western hemisphere and the Pacific.

Down with the stars! Up with the sun!

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
9 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

There's no real good solution to be honest tho. If you cater to the American players, then the Europeans won't be happy and vice versa. We're playing on a server where there are players from all over the world. No matter what timezone we switch to, some people will be thrown under the bus and there's nothing we can do about it. That's just how timezones work. You can't cater to everyone.

Unless... We accelerate the ingame time to twice the speed or so. Meaning... Time will no longer be 1:1 with real life... Meaning for example, 24 hours in game might equal 12 hours in real life. This will allow most players to see day and night and it'll please everyone but this change would cause even bigger concerns/problems and you can bet that people will try to argue or fight such a change. It'll also cause a ton of in-game confusion for a while with an accelerated in-game clock. I'll be a giant mess, but this will fix the original problem of Americans not being able to see daylight. 

But there are two very viable solutions in the suggestion thread @TheSenate posted that was conveniently locked within 5 minutes:

1. Just have less nighttime. 18 hours of daylight, 6 of night, with a hour or two on either end in the twilight sunrise/sunset mode. Sure it's less night for nightclubs and some gang action, but like, "crime doesn't happen in the day" has never really been true lol.

2. Move to a halfway point timezone, like GMT-3. This would only be a 3 hour difference for most European players, and not make a huge difference, but would immensely help most North American and Oceanic players by at least promising a few hours of daylight.

Or both!

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

Though time already isn't portrayed at 1:1 on most occasions. People don't typically work for 8-12 hours on GTAW, they work for 2-4, or sometimes 6 if they're more zealous. Nobody spends months in the hospital recovering, people spend minutes or MAYBE a few days if they're dedicated to it. Nobody has a career that lasts 10-20 years, at /best/ they last 10-20 months. Even just doubling time acceleration wouldn't probably be as immersion breaking as you might think considering we speed up virtually everything else on world.

Edited by TheSenate
corrected days for months
1 hour ago, bartman said:

The refusal to even consider adjusting the server timezone from GMT is a massive mistake that leads to shafting every north american and oceanic timezoned player with doing business/playing at 2AM server time. I know people who legitimately haven't seen sunlight in game in months. I'd legitimately play a NA server over the main GTAW server at this point if a "licensed" one popped up like the RU or Italian servers. It's that bad.

At the very least lower the amount of hours where it's nighttime. Or plop it on some timezone in like the middle of the Atlantic that'd meet halfway like Bermuda (GMT-3) or something.

Hello Mr.Batman!

I'm excited to meet you for dinner tonight to discuss our legal contract. I'll be at the Red Diner at 3:50AM and I hope to see you soon. 

PLEASE. 

FIX.

THIS.

• Applaud 1
1 minute ago, bartman said:

But there are two very viable solutions in the suggestion thread @TheSenate posted that was conveniently locked within 5 minutes:

1. Just have less nighttime. 18 hours of daylight, 6 of night, with a hour or two on either end in the twilight sunrise/sunset mode. Sure it's less night for nightclubs and some gang action, but like, "crime doesn't happen in the day" has never really been true lol.

2. Move to a halfway point timezone, like GMT-3. This would only be a 3 hour difference for most European players, and not make a huge difference, but would immensely help most North American and Oceanic players by at least promising a few hours of daylight.

Or both!

1. I actually don't think it's possible to do this. GTA V's daylight cycle seems to be completely tied in with the ingame clock. I don't think it's possible to just "extend daylight" and make night last shorter and days longer. If it's 10 pm in game, then it'll be night. If it's 7 am in game, then it'll be morning. It's basically impossible to modify daylight hours to be longer. If somebody knows more about modding, feel free to correct me.

2. Like I said... You can't cater to everyone when it comes to timezones. Sure, American and European players will be happy, but America and Europe are not the only countries on Earth. And even in America, there are more timezones within the country. Moving a timezone by a few hours may make some people playing in specific locations in the world happy, but it will 100% screw over someone else. Yes, moving the timezone to GMT-3 will make us Americans happy and the Europeans might be okay with it. But what about players in another continents like Asia, Australia, or South America? Not everyone will benefit from this change and honestly, it's a very selfish change to move the timezone to benefit the country you're in but screw over someone playing on the other side of the world. That 3 hour difference might be good for you, but for someone else, it'll have the opposite affect. You can't make everyone happy by moving a timezone.

4 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

1. I actually don't think it's possible to do this. GTA V's daylight cycle seems to be completely tied in with the ingame clock. I don't think it's possible to just "extend daylight" and make night last shorter and days longer. If it's 10 pm in game, then it'll be night. If it's 7 am in game, then it'll be morning. It's basically impossible to modify daylight hours to be longer. If somebody knows more about modding, feel free to correct me.

2. Like I said... You can't cater to everyone when it comes to timezones. Sure, American and European players will be happy, but America and Europe are not the only countries on Earth. And even in America, there are more timezones within the country. Moving a timezone by a few hours may make some people playing in specific locations in the world happy, but it will 100% screw over someone else. Yes, moving the timezone to GMT-3 will make us Americans happy and the Europeans might be okay with it. But what about players in another continents like Asia, Australia, or South America? Not everyone will benefit from this change and honestly, it's a very selfish change to move the timezone to benefit the country you're in but screw over someone playing on the other side of the world. That 3 hour difference might be good for you, but for someone else, it'll have the opposite affect. You can't make everyone happy by moving a timezone.

You can't make everyone happy. You've just gotta find compromise. 

Moving the server to give more daylight in the peak hours I'd argue benefits several hundreds of players... 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Samuel said:

You can't make everyone happy. You've just gotta find compromise. 

Moving the server to give more daylight in the peak hours I'd argue benefits several hundreds of players... 

This exactly, at the moment it doesn't really make much sense to go outside and visit the state parks for most of us, or go to the beach, it is after-all.. The middle of the night. We are scheduling job interviews for insane hours, no matter if you're European or American. The peak hours are in the middle of the night and that doesn't make much sense.

tbf - one of the issues that's slowing down progress in my view is that GTA:W lacks any competitors.

In the GTA:V text based roleplay sphere, GTA:W is the only robust server with its feature list and rich community - but that also plays against it. Innovations in both legal, grey area and illegal spheres is slowed down simply because often staff and fellow roleplayers are worried it'll disrupt the status quo. So rather than try and change, the uneasy "truce" or frankly just the hatred legal rpers have for illegal rpers and vice versa just exists and isn't addressed in fears it'll alienate one or the other.

Legal RP is gate-keeped since at the end of the day, the only recourse a legal RPer has to a problem (like their best friend getting shot, a robbery etc) is by calling the cops - hence the various restrictions and downright limitations on illegal rp. However, these restrictions often serve to punish one or the other party since they know they can exploit the rules to their advantage and if it comes to it - get a favourable ruling if needed

finally - many may agree but the drug market is flawed. how can you deal to a market where there's barely a casual end user? People who simply want to smoke up or use cocaine on the weekends? Everyone wants to be the connect or supplier but no one wants to be the end user.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Local Gangster said:

tbf - one of the issues that's slowing down progress in my view is that GTA:W lacks any competitors.

In the GTA:V text based roleplay sphere, GTA:W is the only robust server with its feature list and rich community - but that also plays against it. Innovations in both legal, grey area and illegal spheres is slowed down simply because often staff and fellow roleplayers are worried it'll disrupt the status quo. So rather than try and change, the uneasy "truce" or frankly just the hatred legal rpers have for illegal rpers and vice versa just exists and isn't addressed in fears it'll alienate one or the other.

Legal RP is gate-keeped since at the end of the day, the only recourse a legal RPer has to a problem (like their best friend getting shot, a robbery etc) is by calling the cops - hence the various restrictions and downright limitations on illegal rp. However, these restrictions often serve to punish one or the other party since they know they can exploit the rules to their advantage and if it comes to it - get a favourable ruling if needed

finally - many may agree but the drug market is flawed. how can you deal to a market where there's barely a casual end user? People who simply want to smoke up or use cocaine on the weekends? Everyone wants to be the connect or supplier but no one wants to be the end user.

Its because people prefer rpg instead of roleplaying, I can tell some people are playing old facebook mafia game here. And ofc devs think twice before putting out something, because so far...people found a way to abuse everything. Which is kinda sad, because if you cannot trust the community as whole, it becomes rather unfriendly place even for devs.