Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

2 minutes ago, bartman said:

Most Europeans are on GMT-0 or GMT+1

Source.

2 minutes ago, bartman said:

Again, strawman.

How can it be strawman when it's a fact that one time frame has 700+ players and one has 400?

3 minutes ago, bartman said:

Did you miss the part where "server'd be dead" was on LSRP and RCRP

Losing almost half the players between 11PM and 3AM seems pretty 'dead' to me as well.

Management's stance of "lol no" without even offering any real argument outside of "50% of players are European" has been a stifling point for non-euro players for years.

Then find a server that caters to Oceanic timezones or whatever. This one is primarily EU, it has 300 more players during EU peak time and that's simply what they should be building around.

It's really not about opening times, sure it helps, but it's the fact that day vs night offers fundamentally different and differently engaging playstyles and RP opportunities. I'm not saying I have all the answers, but I am saying it's worth looking into.

Playing at night virtually nonstop for years has led to people I know literally saying they can't play for more than 2-3 hours at a time because unless they're in some kind of action, it borderline tries putting you to sleep. That's just the natural reaction to staring at night for hours every time you log in with no break.

Asking server management to take a serious look at where players actually are and see if there's any way to make the time zone more closely represent where people actually are shouldn't be seen as a cardinal sin.

yes i know, i'm agreeing with you in the sense that i don't get why people are so opposed to the server changing timezone when it literally changes nothing except gives every player a fresh perspective so they havent been on the same time cycle for years

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Source.

firefox_7na2fusCFs.png

Over 70% of Europe's population is GMT+0 or GMT+1. I know we have a higher than real life representation of eastern europeans, but you can't tell me they make up anywhere close to a majority lol.

Particularly not when Central and Eastern Europe now has multiple native language GTAW servers (Italy, Russia, etc) that'd be pulling from this number.

How can it be strawman when it's a fact that one time frame has 700+ players and one has 400?

Servertime and real life time are not tied together. They do not have to be.

Moving 8-11PM to even 7-10PM would still allow Europeans to log in at their times, still give a vast statistical majority of Europeans at least some night, and not at all change server peaks which again are probably tied in with Americas.

There's still no proof the "server peak" is such a huge gap between Europeans and not. We don't even have statistics on when the server peak actually is, and when the dropoff is, past anecdotes of when people see it.

All I'm saying, brother, is give peace a chance and let's take a look at it.

Then find a server that caters to Oceanic timezones or whatever. This one is primarily EU, it has 300 more players during EU peak time and that's simply what they should be building around.

let's open GTAW north america and see where it goes, lol.

(this was sarcasm pls don't ban)

Edited by bartman

Let me rephrase my former statement regarding unknown peak times:

Server peaks closer to 9-10PM GMT, usually. We can all agree on this.

By three-five hours later, it's down to 400-500 usually. But purely on anecdotes, we can't know if that 400-500 person server is mostly Americans logging in, or Americans who logged on earlier in the peak staying logged in.

It's irrational to presume one way or the other without having numbers. This makes the "Server peak is 8-11PM!!!" argument really hard to fight without stats on where players actually are.

Edited by bartman
25 minutes ago, bartman said:

Particularly not when Central and Eastern Europe now has multiple native language GTAW servers (Italy, Russia, etc) that'd be pulling from this number.

You realise GTAW has a French version, right? 

Also just because West Europe has more people doesn't mean EVERY game is mostly French and British people. DotA, CSGO all have huge East European communities, and frankly GTA 5 is the CSGO/DOTA of the 2010s. Everyone has it.

25 minutes ago, bartman said:

here's still no proof the "server peak" is such a huge gap between Europeans and not. We don't even have statistics on when the server peak actually is,

We don't need statistics. The FACTS are that most people log 8-11 PM and that American times see a HUGE drop in population, of about 50%. It doesn't matter if those people logging in at 8-11 PM are American or Australian or whatever, what matters is that that interval is the peak time, and that's what you should cater around.

19 minutes ago, bartman said:

But purely on anecdotes, we can't know if that 400-500 person server is mostly Americans logging in,

But it doesn't matter what they are. What matters is that 50% of the population drops at that hour, meaning you shouldn't build the server around it.

Edited by pateuvasiliu

I don't mind playing at night, I've only seen the daytime twice. The only issue I have is that since I play from the americas, the only time that I have to play my characters are past midnight or later, people will use the fact your character is out late at night as some sort of deduction that you must be up to no good, when in reality I will always only be able to log in at times where it will be midnight or later. 

2 hours ago, bartman said:

Let me rephrase my former statement regarding unknown peak times:

Server peaks closer to 9-10PM GMT, usually. We can all agree on this.

By three-five hours later, it's down to 400-500 usually. But purely on anecdotes, we can't know if that 400-500 person server is mostly Americans logging in, or Americans who logged on earlier in the peak staying logged in.

It's irrational to presume one way or the other without having numbers. This makes the "Server peak is 8-11PM!!!" argument really hard to fight without stats on where players actually are.

Well I am european whose schedules haven't changed even during first quarantine, when was the largest influx of active players, because most of them were locked at their homes. This goes for all players. Ever since the activity during real time day decreased, because people started going to schools and work again. So it is not as easy to tell which continent is active at what time. I myself work shifts so I can be active at any time.