Jump to content

State of civilian roleplay and portrayal


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

 

 

TIL the police station and immediate surroundings are "the wrong neighborhood, alone, at night". Neat.

 

No problem, man. I get not everyone lives in urban areas. It's not at all silly to assume a police station would be a safe neighborhood, I imagine most people who don't live in big cities with high crime would think that! It does seem like common sense, I guess. However, obviously not true IRL in most major cities.

 

Now you know, though 🙂 Glad I could help.

 

@Kassandra No idea what you mean. Like I said, I'm sure people get robbed but I walk around a ton and never seem to be victimized. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, NickyW said:

Go to any big city IRL and see what happens when you walk around in the wrong neighborhood alone at night lmao

 

I'm not sure how Legion Square or the Del Perro promenade are supposed to be bad neighborhoods. Or the Del Perro pier. I have a a really hard time figuring out how the ULSA campus is supposed to be a bad neighborhood. I guess technically Sandy Shores is kind of a shitty neighborhood. I'm pretty sure the Vespucci Canals aren't supposed to be a bad neighborhood. There was also the guy that swerved into oncoming traffic in a tunnel on Ocean Highway to stop me, masked up, then chased me all around the map. I guess that's a bad neighborhood?

 

I'm not even mentioning the times I was robbed in plain old Vespucci, Chamberlain, etc, so we can count those out. You have no idea.

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, peasoup said:

 

I'm not sure how Legion Square or the Del Perro promenade are supposed to be bad neighborhoods. Or the Del Perro pier. I have a a really hard time figuring out how the ULSA campus is supposed to be a bad neighborhood. I guess technically Sandy Shores is kind of a shitty neighborhood. I'm pretty sure the Vespucci Canals aren't supposed to be a bad neighborhood. There was also the guy that swerved into oncoming traffic in a tunnel on Ocean Highway to stop me, masked up, then chased me all around the map. I guess that's a bad neighborhood?

 

I'm not even mentioning the times I was robbed in plain old Vespucci, Chamberlain, etc, so we can count those out. You have no idea.

 

@NickyW is straight up trying to claim the center of all police operations experiencing multiple kidnappings per day is "realistic". I don't think they're here for a genuine discussion so much as to try and keep their good thing going.

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

> Creates a public discussion thread.
> Becomes upset when people discuss.


You can't open a public discussion and complain when people engage with the discussion topic by giving their opinions. If you didn't want dissenting opinions, you should've directed this discussion towards a discord that mirrors your own opinion. 

It appears as though you've opened this discussion in bad faith. This whole thread does nothing but further this community’s innate us vs. them mentality. This server is collaborative; we’re here to roleplay with each other. We're all playing together, not against one another. I think we can all disagree with the poor portrayal that exists.

Characters that exist only to fulfill the OOC aspirations of the player behind the screen are bad. They're bad if they're a lesbian mechanic driving a pimped-out supercar, and they're bad if they're a 14-year-old (M) whose only aspiration is hitting licks and getting into shootouts.

You're upset that people complain about one more than the other? As others in this thread have already pointed out, one can be more easily ignored than the other. That's never to excuse poor roleplay, but the former display of poor portrayal affects people on this server much less than the latter. Don't believe me? Go gander the reports section and find out which individuals are most often being reported on this server.

I'm sure this wasn't the take you were looking for though. Feel free to arbitrarily classify me as one of those '5-10 people' so you can completely disregard everything I've said up until this point.

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

 

@NickyW is straight up trying to claim the center of all police operations experiencing multiple kidnappings per day is "realistic". I don't think they're here for a genuine discussion so much as to try and keep their good thing going.

 

I was robbed a block over from Mission Row and it was great. I was lured by some homeless guys under the underpass and got robbed there. I knew it was going to happen, but it made sense, totally worth it.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

 

@NickyW is straight up trying to claim the center of all police operations experiencing multiple kidnappings per day is "realistic". I don't think they're here for a genuine discussion so much as to try and keep their good thing going.

 

Straw man - Wikipedia

 

Since you're so interested in having genuine discussions, might want to give this a read.

 

Either that or just keep taking what people write and conflating it to ridiculous extremes in poor faith. Your choice. If you're /actually/ interested in a discussion, I can link you to at least three different shootings that have occurred outside right police stations from just the last two weeks in the United States (two of them in the last five days). 

 

25 minutes ago, peasoup said:

 

I'm not sure how Legion Square or the Del Perro promenade are supposed to be bad neighborhoods. Or the Del Perro pier. I have a a really hard time figuring out how the ULSA campus is supposed to be a bad neighborhood. I guess technically Sandy Shores is kind of a shitty neighborhood. I'm pretty sure the Vespucci Canals aren't supposed to be a bad neighborhood. There was also the guy that swerved into oncoming traffic in a tunnel on Ocean Highway to stop me, masked up, then chased me all around the map. I guess that's a bad neighborhood?

 

I'm not even mentioning the times I was robbed in plain old Vespucci, Chamberlain, etc, so we can count those out. You have no idea.

 

People get robbed all the time in the Loop in Chicago, which is supposed to be the safe, touristy part of the city. It happens. 

 

As someone who went to a big state college, we had shots fired on campus four times in the four years I was there.

 

As for your other post regarding Mission Row? A: This goes back to my first point, about the high crime rate being partly because people don't know how to keep themselves safe. You literally admit you figured you were being robbed, and then continued to get robbed. B: Mission Row is based on Skid Row, right? One of the most dangerous, seedy parts of Los Angeles.

 

I feel like a lot of people miss this point when talking about crimes next to the Mission Row Police Department. Yes. It's near a Police Department...a police department located literally in the seediest, most run down part of the city. 

 

I think the unrealistic part is PD putting their main HQ in such a shitty location.

 

As for the rest of these comments, I really hope the point isn't "the crime rate in LS is higher than it is in real life" because if so, yawn. It's a roleplay server running on a murder simulator. The server's name is called "Grand Theft Auto World". If you're expecting proportional crime rates, maybe try Second Life?

 

Again. If you've ever lived in a big city, or even do the smallest amount of research, it's not hard to figure out how to stay safe in LS. Do the same shit you do IRL. Travel in groups, have a DD, be aware of your surroundings, don't go places alone.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, peasoup said:

 

I was robbed a block over from Mission Row and it was great. I was lured by some homeless guys under the underpass and got robbed there. I knew it was going to happen, but it made sense, totally worth it.

Maybe the only type of characters that'd 100% be justified robbing people for petty items in public, would love to see more homeless characters causing trouble instead of the typical "whoa im on drugs and there's aliens!" type RP most people opt for.

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, peasoup said:

 

I was robbed a block over from Mission Row and it was great. I was lured by some homeless guys under the underpass and got robbed there. I knew it was going to happen, but it made sense, totally worth it.

 

My character got picked up in direct line of sight of Mission Row PD by a guy that stuck a knife to my neck from inside a car. They drove my character out to the northern shores, did a strip search to take the nothing that was left over by the last muggers, and then broke my character's legs and left her stranded out there. Couldn't walk back because that would've put me in a forum report. Couldn't resist because that would've put me in a forum report AND a CK application. Cooperation doesn't work, resisting isn't allowed, and when you speak of it at all, it's just "mallrats complaining about losing".

 

6 minutes ago, NickyW said:

I can link you to at least three different shootings that have occurred outside right police stations from just the last two weeks in the United States (two of them in the last five days). 

 

How many resulted in arrests? How many had actual people to witness them?

 

6 minutes ago, NickyW said:

maybe try Second Life?

 

There it is. Just like clockwork. 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, DasFroggy said:

 

My character got picked up in direct line of sight of Mission Row PD by a guy that stuck a knife to my neck from inside a car. They drove my character out to the northern shores, did a strip search to take the nothing that was left over by the last muggers, and then broke my character's legs and left her stranded out there. Couldn't walk back because that would've put me in a forum report. Couldn't resist because that would've put me in a forum report AND a CK application. Cooperation doesn't work, resisting isn't allowed, and when you speak of it at all, it's just "mallrats complaining about losing".

 

 

How many resulted in arrests? How many had actual people to witness them?

 

 

There it is. Just like clockwork. 

 

 

A. Sounds like you should've reported them. I agree that holding someone up and driving them /anywhere/ is nooby and unrealistic.

 

B. Lots of them. Is your point that the server needs more people? Really asinine thing to say. Thank you for pointing out that real life has more people than GTAW.

 

C.  Yes, just like clockwork. Sounds like you've heard that line before. Here's a tip: If one person says you stepped in shit, maybe they're wrong, but if you're getting told multiple times by different people that you're walking in shit, maybe you should look at your shoe.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, NickyW said:

 

Straw man - Wikipedia

 

Since you're so interested in having genuine discussions, might want to give this a read.

 

Either that or just keep taking what people write and conflating it to ridiculous extremes in poor faith. Your choice. If you're /actually/ interested in a discussion, I can link you to at least three different shootings that have occurred outside right police stations from just the last two weeks in the United States (two of them in the last five days). 

 

 

People get robbed all the time in the Loop in Chicago, which is supposed to be the safe, touristy part of the city. It happens. 

 

As someone who went to a big state college, we had shots fired on campus four times in the four years I was there.

 

As for your other post regarding Mission Row? A: This goes back to my first point, about the high crime rate being partly because people don't know how to keep themselves safe. You literally admit you figured you were being robbed, and then continued to get robbed. B: Mission Row is based on Skid Row, right? One of the most dangerous, seedy parts of Los Angeles.

 

I feel like a lot of people miss this point when talking about crimes next to the Mission Row Police Department. Yes. It's near a Police Department...a police department located literally in the seediest, most run down part of the city. 

 

I think the unrealistic part is PD putting their main HQ in such a shitty location.

 

As for the rest of these comments, I really hope the point isn't "the crime rate in LS is higher than it is in real life" because if so, yawn. It's a roleplay server running on a murder simulator. The server's name is called "Grand Theft Auto World". If you're expecting proportional crime rates, maybe try Second Life?

 

Again. If you've ever lived in a big city, or even do the smallest amount of research, it's not hard to figure out how to stay safe in LS. Do the same shit you do IRL. Travel in groups, have a DD, be aware of your surroundings, don't go places alone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 People get robbed all the time in the Loop in Chicago, which is supposed to be the safe, touristy part of the city. It happens.

 

You do know that this server is worldwide and not for people from the "the Loop in Chicago". If something happens there, doesn't mean it happens everywhere.

 

As for the rest of these comments, I really hope the point isn't "the crime rate in LS is higher than it is in real life" because if so, yawn. It's a roleplay server running on a murder simulator. The server's name is called "Grand Theft Auto World". If you're expecting proportional crime rates, maybe try Second Life?

 

You are not getting the point here. People are complaining about the "way these robberies are done" and not much is done about it. You mean to say being robbed all over the city makes sense? And are you really trying to tell those people to leave who want to put forward their opinions?

 

Again. If you've ever lived in a big city, or even do the smallest amount of research, it's not hard to figure out how to stay safe in LS. Do the same shit you do IRL. Travel in groups, have a DD, be aware of your surroundings, don't go places alone.

 

I have lived in big as well as a small city. Really? If I want to go for an haircut, should I carry my friends with me even though they know they won't be doing shit there? Travel in groups applies only if you are going to a different city or if you are a tourist. You can't go to get grocery in your own city alone? 😛

Link to comment
  • Gore locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
  • Create New...