Fort Zancudo -- Military RP

2 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

Whats this outdated and contrived notion that every new faction, especially legal ones, must service a specific purpose otherwise their existence is a drain on the server et large. Not every faction needs to be purpose driven, and honestly the factions that exist for specific purposes, often times have the least exciting roleplay, or have the lowest roleplay quality.

The LSSD's "purpose" is to run the jail, yet they've since expanded to a law enforcement juggernaut of quality roleplay, and since then, the jails kinda suffered in comparison. The LSSD can exist without its purpose and be fine.

We have the Port Authority which is extremely niche, but is one of the most popular legal factions on the server because its unique, fun, and the leadership is god tier. But they pretty much zero script purpose to exist.

The only thing you need for a faction, especially a legal one, to exist, is strong leadership, a sense of creativity, and a goal to provide excellent authentic roleplay. Not everything needs a god damn purpose to exist, a change of scenery can be a lot of fun.

Not everyone wants to play the 8th LFM approved cop faction that spoonfeeds you traffic enforcement roleplay, sometimes you just want to guard a gate with your MP squad.

As for cringey military roleplay, having a faction with quality controlled members and leadership would kick that shit in the bud faster than you can say "but your MOS..."

They don't need to have an absolute purpose but judging by precedent, most RP-only companies and factions fail. If they were viable ideas that people were interested in, then we'd have years-old businesses or factions that focus solely on passive role-play. But we don't. Attempts are made, people have their fun and they shut down, because the concepts are not long-term and because no one's interested in doing something that reaps absolutely no rewards. We might not like admitting it but people play for rewards, whatever that means for them - money, action, relations, development etc.

Thing is that, like with other suggestions, we have a lot of people who go all "but I would" and whenever it's time, no one does. It happens so much, it's comical. The reason that Port Authority works is because it's mostly a job for lots of people, not a faction, and a realistic avenue for both legal and illegal characters to do some low-skilled work. A military faction wouldn't be that.

Bottom line is that when you have a large community, a small decision can have a huge impact. GTA World is in that stage. The small decision of trying out a military faction would mean involving dozens of people in evaluating the idea, seeing what would be fit, when and how to implement it, how to fit it into the lore, how to involve it ICly, what purpose to give the faction, who to lead it, then gathering a crowd of passionate, knowledgable and devoted people who get along and want to put in dozens if not hundreds of hours into researching, organizing, mapping, gathering and writing materials, all of this both ICly and OOCly, and most likely many other steps so that you can start a recruitment drive and see that interest drops to basically nothing. Because let's be real - how many people would really want to role-play on their own, opening and closing a gate, washing cars or doing pushups? You can already do such passive role-play within both factions, legal and illegal, and companies - and almost no one does it.

Pretty niche, same reason the National Guard sticks to being a thing 'roleplayed' by admins when necessary. Being able to do nothing but passively roleplay within a fort, and taking up that space other legal factions could use to supplement and/or utilise to create roleplay just doesn't seem to worth it to me. But that's just my opinion.

Definitely not a bad suggestion though. Just not something that seems all too viable, I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

Whats this outdated and contrived notion that every new faction, especially legal ones, must service a specific purpose otherwise their existence is a drain on the server et large. Not every faction needs to be purpose driven, and honestly the factions that exist for specific purposes, often times have the least exciting roleplay, or have the lowest roleplay quality.

The LSSD's "purpose" is to run the jail, yet they've since expanded to a law enforcement juggernaut of quality roleplay, and since then, the jails kinda suffered in comparison. The LSSD can exist without its purpose and be fine.

We have the Port Authority which is extremely niche, but is one of the most popular legal factions on the server because its unique, fun, and the leadership is god tier. But they pretty much zero script purpose to exist.

The only thing you need for a faction, especially a legal one, to exist, is strong leadership, a sense of creativity, and a goal to provide excellent authentic roleplay. Not everything needs a god damn purpose to exist, a change of scenery can be a lot of fun.

Not everyone wants to play the 8th LFM approved cop faction that spoonfeeds you traffic enforcement roleplay, sometimes you just want to guard a gate with your MP squad.

As for cringey military roleplay, having a faction with quality controlled members and leadership would kick that shit in the bud faster than you can say "but your MOS..."

I'm not going to argue on a suggestions thread, but this doesn't really change anything. My point is, nobody is going to spend serious time and regularly RP in a faction where if given any chance of existing is incredibly restricted, not allowed patrols, and the primary RP is strictly to do a job on a military base. This isn't going to be a faction going in and working against riots, etc. I find it very very hard to believe a significant portion of people are  going to login and go around a military base and go do /me works on an airplane or whatever various military job/marching for 3 hours with nothing else like patrolling, investigations, and everything else the other government factions offer that attracts people. There is nothing to keep players involved past the gimmick of this is a military faction.

This isn't the port authority which you compare to. This is a completely different scale of faction and quality assurance not to mention the extensive recruitment process that would be required because of portrayal requirements. This is the literal army not some patrol cars and transport/policing related rp. Not to mention even the port authority patrols around and rps with the general public & businesses.  People can vote yes and say oh this sounds cool, until someone is needed to spend 100's of hours planning a faction or when they get bored because its not going to be a faction going around LS doing military operations and would be incredibly restricted. Plenty of others have already noted the issues, and I already can see this going from "Passive military rp" to wanting to storm davis when there are riots.

Edited by Odin
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

Not every faction needs to be purpose driven, and honestly the factions that exist for specific purposes, often times have the least exciting roleplay, or have the lowest roleplay quality.

Even worse: sometimes those factions have RL objectives that can't be retranscribed within the frame of an RP server. As a consequence, those factions end up having only one role: be a hindrance for everyone else and prevent everyone else from RP'ing. :x 

I'd rather have those factions be objective-less and annoy nobody, than be as they are now and be mostly a way to suppress RP in an "IC" manner. 

As for the military, not sure what they'd do. But as long as big tanks / big planes / big guns are a big no, then it can't hurt I suppose ^^ There are however a lot of things to take into account like quality control at entry, the fact that it would be a LOT of passive RP (quite a few people get bored of it eventually), and such a faction would never work without at least a fair few people active regularly and on the long-term. It's a "it might work" kinda thing. 

On 1/2/2022 at 6:50 PM, L I C E said:

Ah yes. I cannot wait for the 15 year olds to sneak into zancudo and steal the military equipment and attack helicopters by holding the last two military rpers online at 4 in the morning at gunpoint.

anything 4 armenia brother. 

Make it National Guard and I see it as an IC opportunity when crime gets out of hand in a certain area. 👀 

It's a shame @Odinoutright says:

This isn't going to be a faction going in and working against riots, etc.

despite it being completely realistic exactly that could happen. It has in the past in Los Angeles in the 90s riots and even more recent during the civil unrest surrounding BLM in various cities in the States from as far as I can find. And while there are of course different political views on this in real life, it is an option, so why wouldn't it be on the server? Criminals need to understand they should be at a disadvantage and know force continuum, that's the task of law enforcement in western society. Someone asked who could be trusted to roleplay this, the same could be said of law enforcement. The server has a standard, enforce it, bad apples are everywhere, systems are in place to get rid of them.

So in short, don't make it full on military, but make it national guard. Training grounds only I'd say, material storage for if/when they are called in. This has the potential to create a more alive countryside with people going to work both from within the city and the county, the sound of training national guard in the area, the opportunity to stumble upon a marching platoon etc.

You really don't need to portray guardsmen and/or other active duty military personnel because there's no demand for a physical task they could do that can't be NPCed. It's purposeless.

Besides that, all current LEAs use the Zancudo AFB for training purposes and it's ridden with interiors, other dimensions, facilities commissioned by City/County and State Departments, etc. Implying the base becomes active is gonna require all of those people to role-play clearance to get on base which takes eons (and honestly I don't know how realistic it is for your local SWAT/SWT teams to be training on a base rather than on its own land, but it's questionable if the base was in function).

Continuity dictates that the National Guard does exist and is present, In Character, and even was present at the original riots from 2 years ago, albeit not in the city. That being said, the only time the Guard is needed is for niche things like the riots themselves, or for someone trolling with an airship of some kind. Continuity also doesn't say whether Zancudo AFB is a military installation any longer or not so perhaps that requires official clarification, because what I initially said depends on who you ask.

Here's my bottom line about role-playing the concept: I wouldn't trust myself to, so I barely trust others. And it's pretty retarded to portray it in a misguided fashion (as I've been guilty of myself and got swiftly educated by actual players who are in the military IRL). It's gonna result in countless memes and cringeworthy moments, and the only return investment other than low morals and cheap thrills type beat ERP or something, is people trying to go in or near the base to taunt people on perimeter.

P.S. The average role-player uses the concept of prior service to justify combat skills and they usually do it in combat roles and I've often seen it in post apocalyptic role-play settings.

You're asking to role-play on a base on a normal life RP server.

There's very little role-play to be had after you scan so many common access cards, do so many PT rounds and FTXes, and stand guard to physically nothing unlike in real life. 

Edited by liq
  • Jeff_ locked this topic