Flipping.

32 minutes ago, Hawken/Moscropp said:

Can this thread go back to the topic, which is about what should be put in place to improve the car market on the server. Seems like at the moment it's gone somewhat off course (turned into a thread about moaning about specific car dealers etc on the server and their standards or lack off).

Here's what I've gathered will be the most beneficial from this thread in my opinion:

1. All car dealerships on the server when applying will have to state what vehicle classes and price ranges they will be working with. This will contribute to whether their application is accepted. For the car dealerships that are already in operation, they would be required to choose what vehicles and price range they will work with if this rule was put in place.

2. You should not be allowed to have more then 4 vehicles for sale at once unless you are a car dealership on the server, this will stop us seeing adverts of car flippers with 20+ cars on their characters or at the least mean they get punished. In a sense you have small car dealers (ones who just post adverts) who then can apply to be a large car dealer to be allowed to have more cars (e.g. they apply to open a dealership on the server).

Let's continue the discussion.

Your one and two points are very good and I think that both of those things would be good for the server and I think that being one of the dealers in question here that I would be able to adhere to a certain price range if need be. 

The other side of the coin to that though is many dealerships have a wide range of vehicles price wise, I know that I worked in real life at a Jaguar / Volvo dealership in the literal ghetto of my city and they had vehicles ranging from 15K all the way up to 150k Plus some of the newer jaguars are very expensive. So it might not be the best solution.

Though for the sake of the server might not be a bad solution. 

As for the phone dealers I personally don't see them as competition. My whole thing was I wanna have a in person experience, where people physically come to the lot and talk to me. That's why I don't actively run a website because I feel it's impersonal. 

I do think restricting vehicle transactions for anyone not employed at a dealership is a great idea however. 

I also think making it easier for players to apply for a dealership is a good idea while not lacking on quality. Let people at least try who want to. Competition will be good for the market. 

Edited by Devastante
9 minutes ago, zUgg zUgg said:

Its the consensus of this whole topic, Everyone going after the guy having a boat but you are setting in a deserted desert town with over 70 vehicles worth multiple millions of dollars. You literally own more vehicles than the population of Sandy Shores.... weird how that gets a pass......

What’s next on the chopping block? Transport companies that grew from small cab companies to multi-core businesses with helicopters and towing services? @Late careful, don’t grow your business or you might be next 👀

12 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Any suggestion that would bring down the value of used cars immediately gets shot down by 90% of the community, because they don't want to have any costs associated with their toys.

As I said and I agree with you - this is SYSTEM problem because this system ruins it and is unrealistic about used/super cars. Staff should take into considiration about bigger expenses for high value vehicles and etc.

1 hour ago, zUgg zUgg said:

Its the consensus of this whole topic, Everyone going after the guy having a boat but you are setting in a deserted desert town with over 70 vehicles worth multiple millions of dollars. You literally own more vehicles than the population of Sandy Shores.... weird how that gets a pass......

The topic is about car flipping/mobile dealerships. Not everyone is going after some guy having a boat. I think you should re-read the thread, its comments, and who posts what. This discussion moving towards how one specific dealership is better than the other will just lead this thread to be closed.

1 hour ago, Hawken/Moscropp said:

You should not be allowed to have more then 4 vehicles for sale at once unless you are a car dealership on the server, this will stop us seeing adverts of car flippers with 20+ cars on their characters or at the least mean they get punished. In a sense you have small car dealers (ones who just post adverts) who then can apply to be a large car dealer to be allowed to have more cars (e.g. they apply to open a dealership on the server).

Like I mentioned, this idea had been floating around staff discussions before. It was detailed as specifically limiting the amount of vehicles that could be sold by characters per month. Nervous himself specifically mentioned this at some point. I assume it got left to sit, or if we are being hopeful and positive it might be part of an upcoming update that was approved for the car dealership script. I prefer that approach as opposed to a maximum of four vehicles, because it is easier and more effective to limit sales/month.

My proposition would be;

• Any character can only (/sv) sell x amount of vehicles per month to another character
  • Vehicles sold to an on-shift dealership employee do not count to this limit
  • Vehicle sold by an on-shift dealership employee do not count to this limit
  • The limit and count is mentioned each time a player uses /sv to set up a sale

This specifically targets mobile dealerships and doesn't really hurt the average player. For this to work, I believe the lease application ban for dealerships needs to be lifted. That ban should never have been placed to begin with. A good application is always good and beneficial to the server regardless of how many dealerships are already active, a bad application is always bad.

Alternatively, this can be enforced ICly, but that requires a lot of work from business licensing officials. I'm all for this solution as well. 

1 hour ago, Devastante said:

I'd also like to just step in and mention that assuming the condition of a vehicle on any dealer's lot would be a metagame how do you know that that vstr doesn't have missing body panels, needs a new engine, or has a busted transmission or something? Because you just assumed.

So the VSTR with busted door panels and transmission is the same value as a clean example parked in Rockford? Cause I never saw the busted one in Chamberlin hills being sold for lower than market value or being rped as such by the dealer.

1 hour ago, HB said:

So the VSTR with busted door panels and transmission is the same value as a clean example parked in Rockford? Cause I never saw the busted one in Chamberlin hills being sold for lower than market value or being rped as such by the dealer.

🤦🏻 Who said it had any of those things. It was used as a example.

Also didn't know you were a pricing expert and have all the prices for all the vehicles sold by private businesses. 

Let's keep on topic though brother. 

Edited by Devastante

Personally, I don't give a damn if a dealership in a specific area has a few vehicles that would be "realistically" in another specific dealership. Especially when most dealerships refuse to buy cars (and even have IC signs saying "WE DON'T BUY" at the entrance). 😕  

In any case: 

1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

My proposition would be;

• Any character can only (/sv) sell x amount of vehicles per month to another character
  • Vehicles sold to an on-shift dealership employee do not count to this limit
  • Vehicle sold by an on-shift dealership employee do not count to this limit
  • The limit and count is mentioned each time a player uses /sv to set up a sale

This here sounds pretty fair overall. If the amount isn't too high or low, we can reach a certain balance, verisimilitude, and usefulness. There would need to be some margin of manoeuver for specific cases (like when someone needs to shed a lot of assets after a CK for example), but I'm sure it's nothing a /report can't solve 🙂 

Edited by Topinambour
  • Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Devastante said:

🤦🏻 Who said it had any of those things. It was used as a example.

Also didn't know you were a pricing expert and have all the prices for all the vehicles sold by private businesses. 

Let's keep on topic though brother. 

Lol been in this business long time son..retired a while back. I know every dirty secret about this.

But I do agree with staying on topic. With that in mind let's shake hands, and go after flippers together.

Edited by HB
  • Upvote 1

Bottom line. People who don’t apply to be a dealership need to be limited. Most states have a limit of around 4-5 cars a year before you have to get a license to continue selling vehicles at that rate. If you are acting as a dealership, you should be made to adhere to the same standards. 

1) Many phone dealerships do not spawn their cars in a lot they don’t own, which would make it obvious. They just abuse the car spawning (/vpark, /vget) when they buy or sell a car. This is script abuse. 

2) Many phone dealerships do not apply for a business license nor a lot / space that would realistically house these cars. This is just skirting around the standards required of other legitimate dealerships. 

3) Many (not all) phone dealers don’t actually do it for the RP. They do it because of how the car economy operates and abuse it to earn script cash in an almost fool-proof way. This is an OOC portrayal issue because it’s just exploiting the system. Most of these guys didn’t have a dream to become a car dealer. Everyone OOC knows it’s a money-maker, so that’s what they do. If you want to do it for the RP, you can apply just like everyone else through the right channels. 

4) Legally these dealerships are operating without a business license and are technically operating illegally. This should disqualify them from using the /ad system as it’s mainly for legal ads. Someone selling their own personal car? No big deal. Putting out ads selling 15 different cars at a time? Ridiculous. It’s script abuse. 

Should be same standards for everyone running a dealership. Go through the proper channels. There’s a reason PM requires you to apply for a business / space for the cars, etc. It’s not a complicated issue. People just don’t want to go about it the right way. 

Edited by Cypher99