Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

7 hours ago, Engelbert said:

This is honestly what I am trying to say everywhere I go. Numbers, numbers numbers. Comparing real city crime rates to our Los Santos, simply won't work with any scale. Cause most of arguments anywhere fail to mention this fact. The ratio between roleplayers and their career choices.

It's not enough to say "real life statistics don't matter" and leave the issue alone, however - we should be asking how can we shift the incentive structure to make realistic choices more desirable? In most cases, tipping the scales in one direction or another will have a rippling impact. Raising jail times, for instance, will change the incentive structure of whether or not committing a crime is worth the risk of that potential penalty. Many independent threads really all link to the fact that a lack of risk incentivizes grinding violent crime like a script job.

I don't see much willingness from the community or staff to address this, however, so I can't help but get the sense we'll be treading and retreading this ground ad infinitum.

Agreed with some of the points raised. I understand that illegal players need room to play and that there needs to be some suspension of disbelief, but the way things are now, being legal versus being illegal is for most players a character creation choice. 

Sure, some make the change, but it's mostly from legal to illegal, and not so often the other way around. It seems like deciding to go the illegal route is a path of no return and current IC punishment for crime doesn't deter from it. So at this point it's really just people upping the ante to make a name for themselves in the underworld until they get killed.

When faced with that, I do understand why most people think they need a gun, even if I personally choose not to. But right now?

Catching a felony is essentially just a way to sentence your character to have to continue diving into the illegal world since the moment your record is tarnished a bunch of doors shut themselves instantly, which means joining organized crime/gangs to find RP partners, which means further escalation of violence.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:09 AM, Fusco said:

I totally understand guys. But IRL works totally different, it's impossible that someone starts shooting at you for no reason (only if there is a terrorist attack or something) otherwise nobody will shoot or do something stupid to you because if they do, they know they're gonna be in real trouble. What I mean there is that, in GTA:W sometimes there's people trolling in the game, I've seen people getting shot for poor reasons etc. This is totally unrealistic, I'm sure you guys have seen something like that. 

Like 20 people get shot for literally no reason a second in America lmao

• Upvote 1
On 2/27/2021 at 11:51 PM, Edelweiss206 said:

I personally believe we should turn FD or whatever department runs most ambulance / EMT services into Trauma Team and just give every EMT an M4. 

There's probably the same level of crime in GTAW and the CP universes.

best suggestion i've ever seen on GTA:W

• 2 weeks later...

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791.

Surprisingly to the average European, me being one of them, people you wouldn't think would own a gun in your country do in fact own a gun in the United States, such as accountants, teachers and cat ladies. Why? There's this "do it yourself" approach regarding home and personal safety that the Americans have inherited since the eraly colonies and froniter times, when authorities were a day on horse apart from you and that dude who's stealing your cattle. This led to the gun culture, in which fathers taught their children how to shot guns at an early age so they could protect themselves and their property.

Another reason even grandma's packing is the rampant gun violence — before cops arrive, you're another statistic, unless you're packing heat, you can't just outrun a mass shooter or an accidental driveby because you're the wrong ethnicity in the wrong place.

Edited by meltcity
1 hour ago, meltcity said:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791.

Surprisingly to the average European, me being one of them, people you wouldn't think would own a gun in your country do in fact own a gun in the United States, such as accountants, teachers and cat ladies. Why? There's this "do it yourself" approach regarding home and personal safety that the Americans have inherited since the eraly colonies and froniter times, when authorities were a day on horse apart from you and that dude who's stealing your cattle. This led to the gun culture, in which fathers taught their children how to shot guns at an early age so they could protect themselves and their property.

Another reason even grandma's packing is the rampant gun violence — before cops arrive, you're another statistic, unless you're packing heat, you can't just outrun a mass shooter or an accidental driveby because you're the wrong ethnicity in the wrong place.

You watch too many action movies.

Guns are not the problem, the people abusing them are. Compared to the server population, this is a very niche segment. It still exists and it definitely disturbs role-play but guns themselves can't be blamed for any abuse that's going on. My opinion is that the punishments should be harsher and eventually people will get used to the new, higher standard. Reducing the number of weapons and whatnot will really not fix anything. Who wants to break rules will do so with a bat, a hammer or even with a vehicle.

For the sake of example, my character who's in this Sheriff's Department is always armed. In the last three months, with a way higher than normal activity I haven't shot a single person, not on duty nor off-duty. I haven't been PKed once. It's, after all, the approach you consider with your character. If someone sketchy is circling you around, your best bet is to drive off or not engage. If you do engage, don't escalate it without a reason. No matter how though a character is, not many people would realistically risk dying, being seriously or even permanently incapacitated or, in some cases, criminal charges over an altercation which could not have happened. Sure, there's exceptions to this, but again, they're exceptions.

Bottom line is that we shouldn't be looking into weapons but rather into the few people who misuse them. 

Edited by Entity
  • Wuhtah locked this topic