Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

On 2/26/2021 at 6:31 AM, Koko said:

Fact of the matter is IRL many people in America buy handguns which they are probably never going to use, particularly for a hypothetical home defense scenario.

Should they? I don't know.

Do they? Yes they do.

Now should everyone have a CCW? Probably not. As far as I'm aware most average people who buy a gun for home defense in America and aren't gun advocates are more likely to keep it at home.

I see no issue in people exercising their right to get a PF license, but rather the abundance of CCWs that encourage reckless behaviour from civilians, like going to dangerous neighborhoods and talking shit to a crowd of gangbangers. And I say this as a South Central civilian with no gun.

There's been studies where a large majority of U.S. citizens are ignorant on situational awareness and would more than likely be murdered if they were to pull out a firearm during a high-stress situation. I forgot where they had conducted the experiment, but it involved forming mock shoot-outs at schools, stores etc... most U.S. citizens, whom were a part of the experiment, that were pro-"Conceal Carry" failed the tests.

They panic and then fail to take cover before shooting, often exposing themselves to the shooter when they attempt to withdraw their firearm. In a sense? Most legal RPers should be hesitant and panicky when they feel the need to defend themselves or another person when they withdraw their firearm. I've seen a lot of videos, on GTA: W, where the person would respond like they've had 10 years of experience in the military or Law enforcement.

Bro this is the dumbest thread ever, I literally live in the UK and have fired a assault rifle multiple times since I was 14...

Albeit in controlled circumstances and I never actually owned the weapon.

But in America you know damn well I'd be going shooting with my family often, and likely would even own my own weapon

Edited by KFN
3 hours ago, meltcity said:

image.thumb.png.896012e7b7ab92b882e631f48b452c8d.png

You're less likely to get shot in Afghanistan of all places.

Just a quick note that the graphic doesn't take population into account. Afghanistan and the US have similar rates of gun violence , with 4.55 and 4.63 per capita respectively (if the Afghan statistic is to be believed, but that's a discussion for elsewhere.) The huge discrepancy between that number and this chart is 1) 60% of all gun deaths in the US are suicides, and 2) the US has ten times the population of Afghanistan.

The server doesn't treat anything involving firearms realistically. Let's be frank about this - the server systems that impose purchasing limitations on firearms are a solution to OOC problems (and maybe a little European misconception about how gun purchase actually works.)

The only reason I'm not terribly opposed to these glaring illegalities is because the server uses them to deal with OOC misuses. I happen to believe we can deal with these issues and have a realistic gun atmosphere, but I'm far more concerned about the player issues than the realism in this case - especially given the frantic and vehement opposition to what alternative solutions would entail.

• Upvote 3
On 3/15/2021 at 4:24 PM, meltcity said:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791.

Surprisingly to the average European, me being one of them, people you wouldn't think would own a gun in your country do in fact own a gun in the United States, such as accountants, teachers and cat ladies. Why? There's this "do it yourself" approach regarding home and personal safety that the Americans have inherited since the eraly colonies and froniter times, when authorities were a day on horse apart from you and that dude who's stealing your cattle. This led to the gun culture, in which fathers taught their children how to shot guns at an early age so they could protect themselves and their property.

Another reason even grandma's packing is the rampant gun violence — before cops arrive, you're another statistic, unless you're packing heat, you can't just outrun a mass shooter or an accidental driveby because you're the wrong ethnicity in the wrong place.

This is an accurate, and straight forward point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 9:01 AM, Fusco said:

Having a gun pointed at the head is a shock far deeper than anyone can imagine

Not necessarily true. The crime rate in LS is also far higher than you can imagine. You get used to it. It's not the same for anyone.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 4:58 AM, MarcusBRRT said:

Right so then just go and train at your local gun range and then acquire a PF and possibly a CCW in the future to defend yourself? No one goes around buying illegal firearms to defend themselves, unless they're criminals of course. If you seriously think that "my life is in danger, I better acquire a gun to defend myself" isn't enough motivation and good reasoning for someone to get a gun then idk lmfao

It's like...Dude, if I know that statistically my chance of being robbed while on the job is high then you better BELIEVE I'll be getting a gun especially in a country where it's easily obtainable and allowed (legally). And why's keeping a gun in your house dangerous??? People want to defend their property? You keep mentioning kids and family a lot yet you forget that there's no bigger motivation for someone to get a gun than getting one to defend their home from intruders. Don't see how keeping guns in your house isn't safe lol, think the opposite makes more sense

You only mention illegally obtaining a gun, what about legally? Is that unsafe too?

Absolutely agree with this.

Some people like guns, some people hate guns. I personally hate when a platform for storytelling, roleplay, is trying to be limited arbitrarily by people who have a different opinion. No one is forcing you to get a gun, don't get one - that's fine. If someone else gets a gun, because they are scared for their lives, because they like guns, or just because they feel like it, try reporting them to an admin for rule-breaking and see if you will be taken seriously.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 10:33 AM, Marksman said:

I see we're continuing with this trucker example. I guess nobody else matters, right? You're also continuing the assumption that 99.99% of truckers have a family and are all 100% morally straight. 

You know what's funny? The FBI says truck drivers (especially long haul) make the ideal serial killers and is a job with one of the, if not the highest likelihood of being serial killers.

Their nomadic lifestyle gives them perfect alibis and makes it almost impossible to find a pattern in their victims for police to put a connection together.

Edited by hickok44
  • Wuhtah locked this topic