Revamping Arrests - Points based system

Points System Update 17/07/2020

We have run a successful trial of the system for 1 a half months now. From the start of the system until the end of June, here are the numbers: 

rOtIR9n.png

In total 1074 characters were charged with a crime, given a ticket or issued a license this month.

• 838 of those had zero points given to them (represented as ≤)

215 characters were given between 1 and 11 points this month.
20 characters had more than 11 points.
No characters reached 30 points.
One character reached 29 points, the player is currently banned.

From this trial, we have concluded that the system doesn't really have enough bite and has not affected any players in a meaningful way. We are going to be adjusting the points per charge up slightly (around 20-30% - except for some of the charges that already carry very high points totals). 

These are going to be reflected in the penal code from this evening, I want to reiterate that so far no one has ended up in court as a result of hitting 30 points. 

PointSystem.png

Hello! 

I'm really excited to be able to announce the new points-based system that JSA has been working really hard on bringing to the server, this is an evolution on the current judicial system (read about that here), and really pushes the boundaries of judicial role play.

This is a trial run for a month and we will be collecting player feedback during this time, if this doesn't work, it will be reverted. 

What is a points based arrest system? You will now accrue a number of points for the felonies only you are charged with on arrest, these points will add up over time until you hit 30 points, when you do, you will go in front of a judge and stand trial, if found guilty for your charges, you may be sentenced anywhere from life with parole, to death (CK),  This will not be the end of your character, you will be able to join programs such as parole via the SD to get back out on the street.

For more information read this post by Brett:

This system is now live and will dramatically increase the stakes for those individuals who are arrested regularly, though due to the generous points cap, you're unlikely to be affected if you've just been charged with one or two felonies. (Penal Code - shows the points per charge

Thank you to Cline, Brett & TNG along with the whole team at the JSA who created this, thanks to the Illegal & legal role players who were consulted and provided their input prior to this going live and finally, thank you to Legal FM for pushing this through.  

You can ask any questions here

Notbond 

• Upvote 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Applaud 3

Looks interesting, but I can't say I'm a fan of the points system. It's a game based around crime at the end of the day. Likewise, without a proper court system with a trial, judge & jury, points will be accumulated too fast. Detention, arrest and guilt is really at the PD/SD's discretion. I think this system would be AMAZING and work IDEALLY if we had a proper court system for EVERY arrest and crime. Even if forum based.

4 minutes ago, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

Like Yass above me, I'm also not very content with this new system. From an OOC point of view, it makes sense to have a system that gives people more fear of law enforcement. Whereas right now it's more just a nuisance to get caught (spend a couple hours logged off in a cell and then log back in again when you're done, and just keep doing the same stuff again) a system like this one would certainly help make people RP the fear of law enforcement properly. 

But, from an IC perspective, this doesn't make much sense. Points don't seem like a good judicial system. I can't really imagine a real courts system depending on points like this, which brings apart the immersion a little.

I can live with that, but in my opinion, a more immersive system could be much simpler. Increase jail time for repeat offenders by a lot. First felony offense, keep it as it is. Second? Increase it to a few days, right away. Third, a few weeks. Fourth, a month. Increasing the jailtime by a lot right away will make people very scared about commiting crimes when they already have one, while not resorting to CKs right away. Maybe I'm being too harsh with going to a month at the fourth offense, but that'll be up to the administration to decide; my point is more that second offenses should just be punished a lot more harshly from the beginning, at least by going to a few days of jail time. 

Of course, I appreciate this trial period, it'll be very interesting to see how this goes, and I'm not at all saying scrap it. I'm just putting in my point of view.

• Applaud 1

While I appreciate the work of the JSA, this adds an already lengthy process to the time it takes to arrest players. If we're lucky we can have someone in the car, taken to jail, and processed within 15 minutes (not including report writing and the additional paperwork needed if they request a trial). We don't need to be lengthening an already lengthy process.

Furthermore, this diminishes criminal roleplay on the server. With a limited supply of players, a 3 strike system will quickly wipe out the number of criminal RPers and make the risk/reward balance not worthwhile. At the end of the day this is a game that people are dedicating their free time to. It's not fair to wipe out 50 hours of time someone has given to this server.

With that being said, I think there are ways to streamline this idea to fix the issues at hand. Perhaps instead of giving each crime multiple different point ratings, you classify entire crime groups into a certain category. For example, make all violent crimes (robbery, rape, murder, etc) 3 points for initial violations. Then have multiplying factors for repeat violations (so now maybe a second robbery arrest will be 6 points vs the original 3). 

Secondly, consider reducing points if its been X time since committing a crime. For example, lets say my character does time in jail for something like theft. He gets out and turns his life around and doesn't get in any trouble for 6 months (a fair amount of time for a character to be alive and active). If he falls and gets busted for another crime, points should be reset.

TLDR;

This whole thing seems like a solution in search of a problem. Consider refining it a bit so it's more streamlined for the police RPers who have to use it and more fair for the criminal RPers who fall under it.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

While I appreciate the work of the JSA, this adds an already lengthy process to the time it takes to arrest players. If we're lucky we can have someone in the car, taken to jail, and processed within 15 minutes (not including report writing and the additional paperwork needed if they request a trial). We don't need to be lengthening an already lengthy process.

Furthermore, this diminishes criminal roleplay on the server. With a limited supply of players, a 3 strike system will quickly wipe out the number of criminal RPers and make the risk/reward balance not worthwhile. At the end of the day this is a game that people are dedicating their free time to. It's not fair to wipe out 50 hours of time someone has given to this server.

With that being said, I think there are ways to streamline this idea to fix the issues at hand. Perhaps instead of giving each crime multiple different point ratings, you classify entire crime groups into a certain category. For example, make all violent crimes (robbery, rape, murder, etc) 3 points for initial violations. Then have multiplying factors for repeat violations (so now maybe a second robbery arrest will be 6 points vs the original 3). 

Secondly, consider reducing points if its been X time since committing a crime. For example, lets say my character does time in jail for something like theft. He gets out and turns his life around and doesn't get in any trouble for 6 months (a fair amount of time for a character to be alive and active). If he falls and gets busted for another crime, points should be reset.

TLDR;

This whole thing seems like a solution in search of a problem. Consider refining it a bit so it's more streamlined for the police RPers who have to use it and more fair for the criminal RPers who fall under it.

It's not a 3 strike system it's point based. And you have to be arrested many times to reach 30.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Mattkov said:

It's not a 3 strike system it's point based. And you have to be arrested many times to reach 30.

Not exactly. I've been arrested twice and doing a rough headcount I'm already over halfway at a death sentence/life in prison.

Edited by gimmie

I think it's good. Given the fact that it's a game indeed, and depending on how fast points are accumulated, 30 might prove to be low. But it'll prevent people from showing up in jail more often than they do outside. It doesn't diminish crime, it diminishes badly portrayed criminals. There is now drawback to blindly committing crime. With the right balance, this is definitely an improvement for the long run. I'm also not a fan of forcing players to abandon their characters, but I'm all for getting rid of low realism standards.

i think this is mainly to stop certain characters (not naming names but you know who you are) who have arrest records of well over 40 entries which sums up the rp standard of some people this is trying to curtail, so I guess its kinda good. 

• Applaud 1