The Sheriff's Department & You

Bospy

1 hour ago, SugarDavis said:

Before continuing on, I think its important to note that I've never been in PD or SD. I'm still fairly new to the server but have been listening to my friends bitch about both factions since they joined the server ~6 months ago. I think the chance to get my questions answered from the source vs second hand will clear up alot of my questions and concerns.

That's unfortunate that your friends are bitching but we're going to be making plenty of decisions that not everybody likes. I've lost an Assistant Sheriff, a Division Chief, and and Undersheriff over decisions that they didn't like. I make decisions that have the ultimate goal of ensuring long-term success. There's always going to be conflict. I would encourage you to not take into consideration opinions from other people, develop your opinion alone. Encounter us and contribute, or else you're just spreading hearsay.

1) I've been told that the SD leadership has stated in the long run they'd like to be equal in size to the PD. Is this true? If yes, how is that feasible when your primary patrol (Blaine County) has half the population of the city. 

While we'd like to grow as a faction, we have the intent on quality over quantity. We've capped our recruitment drives at roughly 10 vacancies per drive. We maxed out at 50 recently, due to attrition we're at roughly 43 people right now.

There's no such thing as a "primary patrol" area, and the server's population is constantly growing. We obviously encourage our people to stick to the county on an internal basis, but we almost always have less than 10 deputies in-game anyways whereas PD can have upwards of 25 officers. If you go through the number of court cases, you will struggle to compare the number of absolute cases SD has contributed as compared to PD - obviously, we're smaller, less coverage, but this means we enforce a higher quality.

2) Besides making deputies dual track, has their been other considerations to give the jail guys more to do? I'm thinking something like having them pick up Court Services duties when the jail pop is low. Then you're killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Giving the jail guys more to do that isn't general patrol and making CSB an active component of the faction. 

The Courts would need to have more activity in-game. This is beyond our control. In terms of giving jail guys more to do that isn't patrol, this is something we tried to explore in the past, but we ran into similar obstacles of inactivity on the end of criminal roleplayers - e.g. parole. We are constantly looking for ideas to promote the jail or alternative activities other than patrol.

If you have ideas, more than likely we've already experimented with it. Fundamentally, most illegal roleplayers have already made it very clear to us that scripting is a necessity for them to return to jail roleplay. This is outside of our control. We are still exploring other alternatives and options at all times. This is a huge priority for Executive Staff.

3) Are there plans to have jurisdictional agreements with PD? Currently it seems the SD just floats around everywhere in the county and city. I've attached a map of the real LASD patrol areas. The colors represent different divisions but white is what falls under municipal agencies like LA, Long Beach, Burbank, etc. I think seeing something like this would be really neat. 

These already exist, but due to experience at prior communities, both parties came to the decision that a strict "map" would do a massive disservice to our relations simply on the basis that geographic boundaries don't make much sense in the context of a videogame and prior experience at other communities taught both parties that it can create a cut-throat territorial mindset. I do not want people frothing at the mouth any time someone in a blue uniform crosses into the county. So far, we have had an excellent relationship with PD and we envision this will continue. We have already clearly branched away from and delineated clear operational boundaries in fields we operate in - for instance, one of the primary goals I had was to model an accurate Search and Rescue unit - this is already something we've worked on thoroughly with FD.

In addition, to any specialized units we've created, something was made clear to us - there's more than enough room for two law enforcement agencies on the server. Detective work a plenty, patrol work a plenty. Quite literally within a week of launching, our detective unit has too heavy of a workload to manage.

I also think it's necessary to mention that I'm not expressing my concerns to make you guys look bad. I've seen sheriffs factions fail on many past servers I've been on and generally it's always for the same reasons. I want this faction to succeed (because one faction having a monopoly on law enforcement RP is cancer) but I hear things that make me think you're straying down the path of other failed attempts at creating a sheriffs faction.  

The number of replies (which I didn't even request from the people replying) should demonstrate to you the passion of the team I've assembled to complete this project. I am equally as passionate. I started with 2 other people from the very bottom. I made 150 pages worth of material for this faction. I am not average. I am not from "many past servers." If this faction dies, so does my interest in this community, but I am so passionately invested in its success that I will ensure I would sooner be banned than to see it closed. There is nothing except exterior forces which would cause this faction to "fail." There is no internal strife, and there is no structural collapse. We are accomplishing all of our objectives.

This passion is what sets my team apart from any other team. We have a passion to consistently deliver quality police roleplay without any regard for any other condition. We want people who share that vision to join our faction and help us succeed in that goal. We want to portray an immersive organization. We want people to walk away from any scene involving our characters and say "wow, that could've been me in real life with an actual cop!" So far, this goal is successful. We have had almost no OOC complaints from illegal factions, in fact, we have more complements than complaints. This thread demonstrates that. This is a project - I have made it clear from the beginning, I view this as a hobby, a passion project, and I want it to succeed. I have invested too many hours into this. Even including the people who have left our faction for disagreements over its direction, they have applauded our roleplay quality.

I don't know who's telling you that we're "straying down the path of other failed attempts" but I have some inkling. To be frank, it doesn't concern me. Concern comes from many directions, but often times those with the most concerns are those who we have wronged. That isn't to say that I hold any ill will towards them, because ultimately this runs into the managerial concept of people believing that someone is incompetent when they really just don't know the internal workings that well. They believe they know the private discussions - they believe what we're doing is the wrong way of doing it, they believe they may know better. I'll tell you who I am. I'll tell you why I believe I know better than anyone else. I spent years fighting in the trenches on a very successful SAMP community to become the head of a legal faction of 200 people. I'm not bragging about that - people who desire power are often the same kind of people to abuse it and use it to bully people, but this isn't me. That's not my intention and it never has been. If I were a bully, this faction would've already collapsed. If I were using this as some form of escapism to avoid real life, it would also be a failure. My intention is to run a successful top-down organization, because I enjoy that simulation. I've had to make management decisions that would trouble a manager of a real company. I've had to get rid of people with genuinely good intentions. I have had to upset people that I considered close friends and confidants simply because it was the best decision at the time. The direction of this faction is clear, and those who claim otherwise, I feel, just don't appreciate the perspective I share. That's fine! Not everyone is going to appreciate your opinion. I certainly don't appreciate the opinion that this faction is going the wrong direction or is failing, because I have typed for hours on end on this topic.

One must note - friends often follow friends. Of my faction, it's impossible for everyone to be in harmony. Sometimes, groups of friends begin to share the same opinion because one member feels wronged. Unfortunately, this can cause everyone of that group to feel wronged. I cannot control that. But of the 40 some odd people we have in the faction now, everyone is satisfied, and we make an effort to keep it that way. If there's someone dissatisfied? I don't know. If there's someone who was dissatisfied who left? I would've made every attempt to try to get them to come around to my viewpoint had they made it known. But some people will never come around.

A valuable quote from Teddy Roosevelt describes the position of a faction leader:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

The only other person who can share this view is my counterpart in Smokey - he is an excellent faction leader, and from what I've gleaned, an equal in this regard.

Therefore, anyone who says my faction has failed or is failing has designs due to decisions made against them or is concern trolling. I make it clear here - I have no ill will towards those that make those claims that our faction is failing, because ultimately I feel they simply don't know the truth of our internal discussions, and they may be making hasty assumptions. They just don't know how hard this faction leadership has worked to see this ship set sail. And that's fine with me, they'll come around.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Applaud 2

there should be a parole system that means u can actually get out early. maybe even a tag that means u cant leave ur house, this would create rp for sherrifs and pd if someone violated parole, allow them to rp drug tests, ect.

Imo if someone has served a quarter or maybe half of their time on a long charge u should allow them to apply for parole, and the terms would then be set by the sd. You could even get a tag system scripted in if this was added. something id like to see for criminal rp tbh.

Edited by Shekh
29 minutes ago, Shekh said:

there should be a parole system that means u can actually get out early. maybe even a tag that means u cant leave ur house, this would create rp for sherrifs and pd if someone violated parole, allow them to rp drug tests, ect.

Imo if someone has served a quarter or maybe half of their time on a long charge u should allow them to apply for parole, and the terms would then be set by the sd. You could even get a tag system scripted in if this was added. something id like to see for criminal rp tbh.

Parole has already been implemented. You can read more about it on the LSSD forum. https://lssd.gta.world/viewforum.php?f=394

33 minutes ago, Shekh said:

Send it in man.

19 minutes ago, rams said:

Send it in man.

The parole unit wants to pursue realistic role play with anyone who wants to join as a parolee. Essentially, you fill in this format, send it back to the LSSD and they will consider you on parole. Your character would have gone to jail and been released via the parole program and is now on parole — this just allows the community to experience parole without having to actually go to jail and do the time.

As far as I know there's no way to get your jail time reduced in turn for parole, it's just something that can be done if you want to once you're already out. Good system though, I just think it should be given as an alternative to prison time as sometimes sentences go as long as 2 weeks or even months. 

Edited by Shekh
1 minute ago, Shekh said:

As far as I know there's no way to get your jail time reduced in turn for parole, it's just something that can be done if you want to once you're already out. And i doubt there's a tag system too. Not sure though correct me if i'm wrong.

You should be able to get your time reduced:)