The Sheriff's Department & You

Bospy

blatantly copied the title of pd's thread

Hi. I'm Bospy. It's been approximately 2 months since the Sheriff's Department launched and since then, the faction has changed and grown considerably. Initially a project started in 2017 under the flag of SADOC, the idea of a state prison (or in our case, a county jail) has been kicked around since the beginning of this server. It wasn't until fall of last year (specifically, August) that things got kicked into gear and I took position as Sheriff, at which point our faction transitioned into fulfilling the role of a county-based law enforcement organization with a unique concept - we'd also be managing a jail. Since then, @lambchops @Jonesy and I have been running the show and have gone through plenty of trials and tribulations to get here. Several people of course contributed along the way, including old FM, but faces change.

If people don't know the scope of what we manage, the Sheriff's Department has both a patrol and jail-based component. Our faction is much smaller than the Police Department but if you have engaged in crime, you may have encountered us at some point.

This thread can be used to address any concerns, criticisms, comments, or other ideas that community members have on how to improve the Sheriff's Department. Although we have plenty of internal resources (such as inmate access) to facilitate roleplay, a lot of the time this isn't fully transparent. I encourage people interested in jail roleplay to register on our forums and join our Discord.

In addition, you're welcome to make general points or bring things up about the faction.

However, respectfully, I do ask that if you have problems with roleplay quality or specific individuals, you instead forward that information to my inbox. Airing out dirty laundry in a public setting outside of a forum report is not an acceptable format for those sorts of complaints. If you have complaints about specific individual's roleplay quality, you are welcome to put them forward to @Jonesy or @Keane

----

2021 update from @Jonesy!

Hi folks, it's been over a year since we've grown. Our faction has grown to north of 160 players and we've expanded in various areas including completely revamping the jail. We're always looking for feedback and we will do our best to respond to any questions and concerns ASAP!

Edited by Jonesy
  • Upvote 1

I have a few questions most of them concerns prison.

Since there isn't much to do in prison currently, other than self-created role-play which is fine but eventually gets boring. Do you guys plan on adding work details on a regular basis? Doesn't always needs to be outside the prison, during my time in prison IRL. I was part of the crew that worked on cleaning and painting most of the facility, and I feel like work details that would surround the prison would be a very nice addition.

Also I feel like the need of a kitchen role-play would be very nice, allowing for nice RP. Usually Chow is served three times a day, but at least once or twice a day would be nice and would give us inmates something else to do. In the prison I was in, there was a chapel opened at least once a day with a priest that you could talk to. But I doubt anyone role-plays a priest so that might not work.

In general, I would love to see more additions and rooms for us to have access too, kitchen, work details, laundry, chapel, library, showers, you get the point. A working commissary would be a great addition too, as well as working phones (Much needed)

My other question concerns the recruitment side of corrections, what if I only want to be role-playing in corrections, as a correctional officer. Is there a way to only apply for that? Because I would be interested in that type of role-play but I have no interests in patrolling as a deputy sheriff.

Last question, is the SASD's registering website bugged? I haven't gotten the confirmation email to  activate my account and it's been 24 hours.

Edited by Mattkov
1 minute ago, Mattkov said:

I have a few questions most of them concerns prison.

Since there isn't much to do in prison currently, other than self-created role-play which is fine but eventually gets boring. Do you guys plan on adding work details on a regular basis? Doesn't always needs to be outside the prison, during my time in prison IRL. I was part of the crew that worked on cleaning and painting most of the facility, and I feel like work details that would surround the prison would be a very nice addition.

Also I feel like the need of a kitchen role-play would be very nice, allowing for nice RP. Usually Chow is served three times a day, but at least once or twice a day would be nice and would give us inmates something else to do. In the prison I was in, there was a chapel opened at least once a day with a priest that you could talk to. But I doubt anyone role-plays a priest so that might not work.

In general, I would love to see more additions and rooms for us to have access too, kitchen, work details, laundry, chapel, library, showers, you get the point. A working commissary would be a great addition too, as well as working phones (Much needed)

My other question concerns the recruitment side of corrections, what if I only want to be role-playing in corrections, as a correctional officer. Is there a way to only apply for that? Because I would be interested in that type of role-play but I have no interests in patrolling as a deputy sheriff.

Last question, is the SASD's registering website bugged? I haven't gotten the confirmation email to  activate my account and it's been 24 hours.

We don't intend on a "scheduled" work detail system, it's primarily focused on how many people are in jail and if the deputies have time / feel like hosting one. Mind you we do intend on including more like that, and like you said simple stuff like working in the kitchen and cleaning the jail. (KP duty anyone?)

We do have intentions of adding certain things like a library, possibly a chapel (good idea), a commissary and working payphones. Obviously some of these require heavy scripting and the developers are working hard on larger projects that benefit the entire server and do take a higher priority. But they have been requested and discussed heavily. 

And if you chose to join the LSSD faction, you can remain in custody and not elect to do any sort of patrol roleplay or go through the field training program. We have several members who have chosen to do that. There is absolutely no patrol requirement for full deputies and deputies may progress solely by their participation within the jail. You may also join up as a custody assistant which is a non-sworn position and is only focused within the county jail, it has much less in the way of dedication and requirements but obviously you're not a sworn LEO and as such you are a bit more limited.

As for the LSSD.gta.world's mail server, it's not been working for some people lately. Shoot me a PM with your SD username and I'll authenticate it manually for you either today or tomorrow.

So far, the roleplay with Sheriff's has been rather pleasant, but I feel how there's little to no will to roleplay around actual road traffic collisions, whether Fire Department is on-scene or not. The member(s) that attended had fine roleplay, and I can't argue with that. But the way that the investigation was conducted was just very poor and felt more like a juvenile way of handling it. Like something you'd say to your two kids who you caught having a pillow fight in the living room and they're pointing each other out crying, "But he started it!"

I understand that collisions in traffic are found boring/annoying/irritating to deal with by the most, but just taking two sides of the story, hearing that two people are in hospital and saying "Yeah, I dunno who's wrong so you're all free to go." was really anti-climactic and felt underwhelming as a whole, when there was a whole lot of roleplay opportunities surrounding it.

It made the entire scene feel so trivial with such a lazy and consequence-free solution, which was accompanied by no real investigation of a car crash which led to two people being hospitalized. Fire Department was on scene, they talked to people there, yet the Deputies attending the scene didn't ask them anything, and allowed two random, completely unrelated civilians (who even said that they're unrelated) to contaminate the scene by parking their vehicles inside and walking around and making a whole mess and throwing snide comments about.

The whole perimeter (or a lack of thereof) felt extremely sloppy and I'd even go to the extent of calling it forced.

My chief complaint here is that there's either little to no training on road traffic collisions, or members do not really want to roleplay around them.

I'm curious about the way county jail operates.

A bit ago I was arrested and put in it. All good and well, however I was locked in my tiny cell and was told that only Sheriff's can unlock the cell door to let players out etc. 

So the question is - how often do Deputy's are inside of the jail to interact with those arrested? The message that pops up states that your time will decrease 3x(?) faster if you are actively RPing but its a bit hard to do when you're stuck inside a tiny cell for n-hours at a time. 

If deputy's cannot be there for one reason or another, can there be a way to at least get some sort of a gen-pop going so those within can have a limited ability to roam around and RP?

Edited by Memozzy
11 minutes ago, Memozzy said:

I'm curious about the way county jail operates.

A bit ago I was arrested and put in it. All good and well, however I was locked in my tiny cell and was told that only Sheriff's can unlock the cell door to let players out etc. 

So the question is - how often do Deputy's are inside of the jail to interact with those arrested? The message that pops up states that your time will decrease 3x(?) faster if you are actively RPing but its a bit hard to do when you're stuck inside a tiny cell for n-hours at a time. 

If deputy's cannot be there for one reason or another, can there be a way to at least get some sort of a gen-pop going so those within can have a limited ability to roam around and RP?

Whenever I ended up in county jail, I was told to /fixloc to get out of my cell when no deputy was around. All cell doors should probably be open when no deputy is online.

Just now, Morgan said:

Whenever I ended up in county jail, I was told to /fixloc to get out of my cell when no deputy was around. All cell doors should probably be open when no deputy is online.

Huh, curious. I was told that I should report for an admin to get out if no Deputies are around. But still, those cell doors are meh when they are shut. They were for me all the time with no deputies aroudn.

Edited by Memozzy