Where do you find literate writers and roleplay, and why is it a stigma?

I came to GTARP from an entirely different role-play landscape. I do miss the three, four paragraph mini novel role-play that I used to do because I feel like a lot of the depth and character of the people around me came from the understanding that people were reading what you wrote. That interaction could be individual and personal, or be grand storytelling for huge groups. I have always and will always felt that this particular form of role-play is superior and also sadly dying out.

HOWEVER, on that same note, I will say that people don't always come to GTA for depth in role-play. The very draw and appeal of the more physical medium IS the physicality. You might not be able to describe your character's fighting ability with the gravitas you want to, so you can just beat the tar out of someone in a script fight and be satisfied. Maybe you don't have the time to spend 10-15 minutes writing fully fleshed out posts between things going on in your life, so the shorter, snappier back and forth of the server fits your needs. This sort of arena is great for new role players who've never experienced anything else and just want to step into it for the first time, and I personally applaud that. It has its flaws, yes....It breeds a certain mindset around oversized posts...Yes. But overall? I'd say it's the price of admission to a much faster paced and considerably more involved process.

With faction members, OOC friends or simply other "Para-Players" you should absolutely post as much as you like, wax poetic to your heart's content. I'd love to bump into you and join you in the more full on posting I very much enjoy. But if other players aren't interested in waiting turns, holding fire for the 5 or so minutes it might take you to compose a more weighty reply, then.... Well, you knew what you signed up for. Be snappy, be concise and be proud of it. Because like someone said above, massive posts do not a great role player make. Your ability to adapt to and engage with other players does.

Edited by Frakkennewguy
  • Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1

@starcaller Interesting post! I think the heavy conflict driven nature of GTAW sometimes dissuades in depth use of /mes.

I personally prefer para-rp myself, but it's because I'm so used to online d&d environments, FFXIV and other mmo RP communities. Shorter /mes and the lack of using quotes for dialogue was one thing I struggled with when I first joined world (I used to type with quotes when I first joined and it didn't go well 😅). If you want more character focus and depth, people like us are out there, I promise!

With 900 players, there's going to be a lot of different styles and varying levels of RP experience. I always suggest people try to 'mirror rp' which is essentially to know your audience and adapt your style/length to those you choose to RP with.

Edited by Olivia
  • Upvote 5

To be honest I really dislike these kind of emotes and I think they bring absolutely nothing to the table when it comes to the quality of the roleplay. I much prefer quality roleplay written with simple and to the point emotes which clearly convey everything over long paragraphs which contain for the most part useless information which does not improve the quality.

Honestly, I feel like people doing this come off as pretentious, but that's just me 🤷‍♂️

Long emotes is the norm of almost every roleplay game there is. This game is more fast paced, and that is fine. But this type of dialogue in heavy roleplaying is less common. I personally think long form roleplay is more immersive, but you like most who came from other RP games to this, I've adapted to a more short form.

That however does not mean we should EVER... gatekeep, or insult, or tell someone they are wrong for wishing to be more descriptive. It is not okay to send /b messages with insults, you are just upsetting people not helping. How you see the world is not guaranteed to be right, and just because you roleplay a certain way, and nobody complain, gives anyone any right to correct others roleplay.

Honestly, just leave people alone. And if someone writing a long emote annoys you, keep it to yourself and let them have their fun. Some people will actually appreciate it even if you don't.

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Olivia said:

If you want more character focus and depth, people like us are out there, I promise!

The implication that people who para-RP have deeper or better developed characters is a large part of why para-RP’ers are so stigmatized.

This whole thread is filled with people asking “why don’t people like RP’ing with me” while also continually insisting that they’re great roleplayers or even good writers just because they use 750 characters to pay for their coffee. 

The *last* thing you should look for when you evaluate people’s RP ability is the length or even the detail of their /mes.

Actual good writers know how adapt to different mediums.

Edited by NickyW
  • Upvote 5
  • Applaud 1
13 minutes ago, NickyW said:
1 hour ago, Olivia said:

If you want more character focus and depth, people like us are out there, I promise!

The implication that people who para-RP have deeper or better developed characters is a large part of why para-RP’ers are so stigmatized.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:43 AM, starcaller said:

We're wanting to convene with other people who enjoy prose and shape a little community. If the server can't hand us down what we want, we'll try to make it ourselves. Get in touch via PMs or discord and we'll take it from there, we're creative!

I agree that /mes don't make a good roleplayer. The OP was asking for like-minded individuals to RP with.

• Upvote 1

- I'm usually the type to write long, drawn out paragraphs on the forums to explain my point in-depth. But today I want to be concise and cut to the chase. Also I'm a little tired.

GTA World is a mishmash of roleplayers. A lot come from voice RP, and the entry test into the server doesn't ensure a standardized way of RP. Therefore, people pretty much write their /me lines however they feel like. 

Now look back up at my first line. Can this first line also apply to RP? Absolutely, I think. Maybe you're a little tired to focus today, maybe you had a long day at work and don't want to bother with a paragraph or two. Maybe the context of the RP you're playing in, ie. Law Enforcement, high-intensity criminal RP, bar-tending, doesn't allow you time to stop and write something longer and in more detail. Take all of this into account and then some - And apply it to a large playerbase and you have GTA: World.

Would the server be better off with a standardized way of RP? Depends how you see it. On one hand, you'd probably get way less players on the server. On the other, the quality of the RP would increase exponentially if length and detail are your criteria for good RP.

If the context of the RP (calm, slow-paced) allows others and myself to write paragraphs, I will. If not, I'll be more concise with my RP. I'll just go with the flow of things.

Edited by Mistery14