Why is LCN RP so stigmatized?

subway244
Message added by goddessoflife,

Hello, will your post on this discussion be one of the following stated below?

Trollish, ai generated text, random pictures and comments that do not contribute to the discussion.

Then please do not post. Are you going to post anyway? You'll be content moderated without any questions asked.

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I digress to not shit post and derail your own topic. But if you knew what content for making a thread look interesting and not bitching n whining for almost 2 whole months about a virtual CK with a 5 minute explanation video on why it shouldn't of happened. Take shit on the chin n move on.

3 people posing with guns for a picture that isn't for the public to see, but posted for a thread's content & my character's joke of a airsoft replica RPG he's posted for a get-up he's preparing to be for Halloween. You know, some real life human features that you don't know besides stereotypically flicking your pinched fingers togethers and wrist back and forth while having tear streams roll down your cheeks about LCN RP not being allowed.

Laughable. It's something you nor me will agree on as you come from a different plain of roleplay.

53 minutes ago, Smurf said:

nothing effects me LMAO

I digress.

This shit just keeps stacking and stacking, I really don't mean to sound like an asshole but you're really painting a picture for your audience. 

All in all to maintain the topic to not derail it with back n forth bickering and us getting forum warnings on our accounts, if you wish to discuss this further. You're always welcomed to message me.

I'm not trying to bicker but have a serious discussion as to why LCN RP is so stigmatized. Your opinions have been very enlightening when it comes to demonstrating the kind of people opposed to our RP.

I also don't see how my characters, my wiki page or my CK appeal is relevant at all to the discussion. It honestly looks like you're bashing me because you disagree with my opinions, and you wouldn't be the first. Also, if you really want to argue about the CK (which was overturned by IFM btw), actually watch the video and you'll see how everything I said was factual and how it was invalid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 minutes ago, subway244 said:

I digress.

I'm not trying to bicker but have a serious discussion as to why LCN RP is so stigmatized. Your opinions have been very enlightening when it comes to demonstrating the kind of people opposed to our RP.

I also don't see how my characters, my wiki page or my CK appeal is relevant at all to the discussion. It honestly looks like you're bashing me because you disagree with my opinions, and you wouldn't be the first. Also, if you really want to argue about the CK (which was overturned by IFM btw), actually watch the video and you'll see how everything I said was factual and how it was invalid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i do disagree with your opinions. But you're entitled to have them as I am mine, I disagree with your opinions because of how you portray your characters, as I myself on an out of game basis find it really stereotypically racist/prejudice of dressing how Hollywood depicts Italians as. Again, I am Italian-American; it's not just you that I disagree with but as a whole what remains of the LCN community. 

Me mentioning the video and you doing everything in your power as a player to get your character that you have had for awhile is perfect, I can see where you were coming from. But what doesn't realistically make sense or logical sense is how a character whom is under a 24/7 protection and has active SWAT members with him to protect him manages to slip under their noses to go to a clothing shop; then — I digress on the matter.

I truthfully don't give a shit and this doesn't really affect how I lay my head down at night and get some quality rest. Is it irritating, yes. Does it bother me that I get pissed off and let it ruin my day? Fuck no. 

Overall LCN's looked down upon because it was for the longest time the reigning house for however long Conti and MCF were up for. You were faction banned from MCF if I'm not being mistaken and wanted to continue the portrayal of MCF (which if we're realistically speaking here doesn't make sense at all, nobody from the actual faction when it was running wants you to do that) this is me giving you genuine nonargumentative feedback, people just are tired of seeing "How you dooooing" polo shirts, /idle8 and sitting around tables just talking, with an occasional drizzle of some unique RP that happens in a blue moon.

This is my last response on the matter, so you'll have the last word if you choose to respond.

Edited by Smurf
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Smurf said:

i do disagree with your opinions. But you're entitled to have them as I am mine, I disagree with your opinions because of how you portray your characters, as I myself on an out of game basis find it really stereotypically racist/prejudice of dressing how Hollywood depicts Italians as. Again, I am Italian-American; it's not just you that I disagree with but as a whole what remains of the LCN community. 

Once again, how is this any different from African-American gangs, Mexican cells, Eastern European TOCs or literally anything else on the roster?

You were faction banned from MCF if I'm not being mistaken and wanted to continue the portrayal of MCF

I was faction banned by Alexion for essentially the same disagreement you and I are having now, LCN portrayal. But then again, he came back after 2 years to coup MRC then purposefully let the faction die, against the wishes of the majority of Martorano alumni I've spoken to. He doesn't represent the entirety of Martorano.

For what it's worth, I'm actually in good standing OOCly with a lot of the Martorano heavyweights, including Flow.

• Upvote 1

a lot of it stems from the fact that on LSRP the guys who ran the valenti esque factions had gigantic egos. that is why there is a stereotype, even on this server, that the mafia roleplayers would be unable to accurately represent their factions place in the criminal underworld - which, in 2023, is the very bottom of the Los Angeles food chain.

• Upvote 3
33 minutes ago, subway244 said:

Once again, how is this any different from African-American gangs, Mexican cells, Eastern European TOCs or literally anything else on the roster?

Because all of the mentioned concepts exist in large numbers in the west coast. What doesn't exist though is groups if italian mobsters standing around on street corners in suits acting like they're in NYC and it's the 1980s.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Bolax said:

Because all of the mentioned concepts exist in large numbers in the west coast. What doesn't exist though is groups if italian mobsters standing around on street corners in suits acting like they're in NYC and it's the 1980s.

Once again, my argument is that the point of RPing in a fictional city is to include things like LCN and have it make sense within the bounds of the lore. If we're supposed to be doing 1:1 Los Angeles, why don't we just RP it as Los Angeles and forget the hassle of making it fictional?

Furthermore, just like a majority of LCN associates are Vito Scaletta clones, a large portion of Mexican narcotraffickers are Narcos: Mexico characters, a lot of the Davis gangbangers are RP'd like the cast of Menace 2 Society, then you have all your Niko Bellic Eastern Europeans, et cetera. It's the same difference.

My only real in-game interaction with LCN roleplayers has been on the peripheral as an outsider occasionally buying and using drugs, hitching a few parties and being kicked out of establishments they run or protect - never a bad experience mind you. I think the stigma doesn’t really have to do with the roleplay itself, when you respect that people roleplay differently there generally isn’t an issue. For me most of the stigma comes from the very public infighting LCN RP is known for. 

There always seems to be different groups within LCN RP that all march around like OVRA soldiers viciously and publicly attacking anyone they see doing something they don’t like. You can even see remnants of that attitude it in this thread. LCN discords break into smaller groups that are often breeding grounds for self destructive toxicity. While I get that somewhere along the line it was wel meant in an effort to preserve some sort of “pure LCN RP”, it’s become the ironic downfall. People in the LCN scene seem more preoccupied with LARPing Mike Sorrentino and OOC politics than they are actually playing the game. It puts people off. 

I have to add that this isn’t a problem specific to LCN RP, this happens almost everywhere. It happens in almost every large illegal umbrella group and in both PD and SD and plenty of legal factions. The difference with the LCN drama is that it seems so brutally personal and interwoven with their niche that their public spats often read like Soprano characters going at each others throat, something that’s ultimately more entertaining for most than people writing in south central hieroglyphics or boring police corpspeak. 

• Upvote 4
5 minutes ago, subway244 said:

Once again, my argument is that the point of RPing in a fictional city is to include things like LCN and have it make sense within the bounds of the lore. If we're supposed to be doing 1:1 Los Angeles, why don't we just RP it as Los Angeles and forget the hassle of making it fictional?

Los Santos lore wise replaces Los Angeles, so obviously the admins want players to mirror the organizations that exist in that city, instead of portraying a concept that realistically only exists and has pull miles and miles to the east.

6 minutes ago, subway244 said:

Furthermore, just like a majority of LCN associates are Vito Scaletta clones, a large portion of Mexican narcotraffickers are Narcos: Mexico characters, a lot of the Davis gangbangers are RP'd like the cast of Menace 2 Society, then you have all your Niko Bellic Eastern Europeans, et cetera. It's the same difference.

The majority of Mexican Narco characters have nothing to do with the TV show and I haven't once seen a character who's part of Mexican organized crime act like a Narcos:Mexico character, nor do gang members in Davis act like the cast of Menace 2 Society, they're portraying their concepts realistically.

I've never once and probably never will see an LCN group potrayed properly in LS because that would require the players to accept that their characters are at the bottom of the Los Santos food chain to the point where they don't matter at all.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, Bolax said:

Los Santos lore wise replaces Los Angeles, so obviously the admins want players to mirror the organizations that exist in that city, instead of portraying a concept that realistically only exists and has pull miles and miles to the east.

Once again, even though Los Santos replaces Los Angeles in the lore, there's still creative freedom given by the fact that the location is fictionalized.

I personally think it's more of a technical limitation, too. Liberty City was a blessing to almost everyone in the LCN scene, because truthfully, we'd all rather RP in a New York setting. However, the LCN community existed long before Liberty City, and it will continue to exist for as long as it remains a popular subject in media such as television, books and games.

GTAW admins tried to change the map to accommodate concepts more suited for the east coast, and for whatever reason, it failed. However, I don't believe that should be justification enough to stigmatize and, in many ways, destroy our community just because we're limited to RPing on a map based on Los Angeles.

Once again, the ideology that accommodates everyone's tastes is to treat Los Santos as more like a blank-slate west coast city that's molded and shaped by IC actions, rather than a 1:1 recreation of Los Angeles. People who want to RP west coast concepts can continue doing so, and simply refuse to interact with people who wish to portray LCN - which is still a nationwide phenomenon outside of NYC, even today.

Edited by subway244