Why is LCN RP so stigmatized?

subway244
Message added by goddessoflife,

Hello, will your post on this discussion be one of the following stated below?

Trollish, ai generated text, random pictures and comments that do not contribute to the discussion.

Then please do not post. Are you going to post anyway? You'll be content moderated without any questions asked.

i found the server after having been out of rp for 5/6 years specifically because i wanted to do lcn rp again and ended up in martorano for 2 years. i had a good time for the most part and i met some of the better roleplayers i've met in the very long time i've been doing this... and also some of the worst.

even though i only joined the server for lcn rp, i don't think i'd ever be able to do it again in this setting. it just doesn't feel right. the only lcn that should be allowed on the server (imo) is a faction that's gonna portray a small, weak, mostly irrelevant organisation who's trying to fit in with the crowd rather than dominate it and very few people would want to do that.

the stigma comes from people who are more interested in the latter, the people who want to rp being straight from new york and rp lcn like it's da gool ol days. there's definitely a place for lcn on the server, just not the lcn from the 90s.

• Upvote 6

It simply doesn’t make sense for a west coast environment, there hasn’t been a major lcn presence in LA since the 90s n LS directly replaces LA. EOC n MTCO cells are far much realistic considering they exist in the masses on the west coast irl, so idk where the petty attitude is coming from.

And much like others have said, it completely ruins our immersion.

• Upvote 2

Everything that can be done in an LCN concept has been done before. All the Sopranos-esque shit has been done before too, and yeah, I must agree that LCN RP is stigmatized at some level. The reason to that is pretty evident, people go around wearing three piece suits and do Godfather and Sopranos-esque extortion attempts all over town with Italian names while having an "East Coast" accent, then they gather somewhere and talk about GABAGOO. That's why LCN RP is stigmatized. 

When I started out on the server in late 2020, I joined up with Martorano and continued to be with them for well over 2 years. I climbed the ladder and then I ended up leading my own LCN faction, so I speak of experience when I say, people want LCN roleplay, is it realistic to have a major CF on the West Coast? No, its not. Martorano and Conti were at their heights during the pandemic, which was peak GTAW. We should lover our expectations when it comes to LCN projects. Great examples are the Masi Crew and the Magellan Ave Crew. They're not big in size, yet their portrayal is pretty good. Build a small project with a few solid guys, that's where I fucked up too. I wanted too much. No need for any more crime families.

Edited by notoriousdancso
  • Upvote 3
7 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

And much like others have said, it completely ruins our immersion.

I doubt it's as immersion breaking as you claim, or any more immersion breaking than stereotyped African-American gangs, mallrats or troll chars, all three of which are still allowed to exist on the server.

Frankly, I find it unfair to selectively cut off an entire subcommunity of GTAW and text-based roleplay in general, simply because a small minority of people complain about them.

Having strict OOC limitations is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it occasionally promotes above-average RP, but on the other hand, it can be limiting to some groups of people like LCN who, except for a few bad apples, are relatively decent roleplayers.

At the end of the day, the majority of people come on GTAW to roleplay as a form of escapism. Ask just about anyone outside of the IFM community discord and they'll agree. It's about having fun, and myself and about 80+ others that I know from the LCN community have fun by RPing LCN.

This kind of negative and divisive attitude is cancerous to communities like GTAW and it'll just sink us further away from actually being fun and interesting.

4 minutes ago, notoriousdancso said:

Everything that can be done in an LCN concept has been done before. All the Sopranos-esque shit has been done before too, and yeah, I must agree that LCN RP is stigmatized on some level. The reason to that is pretty evident, people go around wearing three piece suites and do Godfather and Sopranos-esque extortion attempts all over town with Italian names while having an "East Coast" accent, then they gather somewhere and talk about GABAGOO. That's why LCN RP is stigmatized. 

Once again, if gangbanger facs are entitled to revel in their own stereotypical portrayal, why can't LCN? What is the difference between LCN and literally any other popular illegal RP concept?

1 minute ago, subway244 said:

Once again, if gangbanger facs are entitled to revel in their own stereotypical portrayal, why can't LCN? What is the difference between LCN and literally any other popular illegal RP concept?

gangbangers exist in the LA criminal culture which this server is based upon. the mafia does not. thats why as roleplayers, rping with the gangbangers feels suitable for the server's collective storyline, and the mafia does not

• Upvote 7
5 minutes ago, Gallagher said:

gangbangers exist in the LA criminal culture which this server is based upon. the mafia does not. thats why as roleplayers, rping with the gangbangers feels suitable for the server's collective storyline, and the mafia does not

Literally this.😆 The question made zero sense.

10 minutes ago, subway244 said:

I doubt it's as immersion breaking as you claim, or any more immersion breaking than stereotyped African-American gangs, mallrats or troll chars, all three of which are still allowed to exist on the server.

Ask just about any illegal rper in the community, a lot of us aim to follow a 1:1 replica of the 2023 LA demographics in terms of the criminal landscape. The Mafia doesn't have relevance in that debate. The last time the Mafia on the West Coast was mentioned by a organized crime census, it wasn't even considered a threat; why? Because it's dead, they hold no power or influence in Southern California anymore. It's a whole different era nowadays, the LA 1980s criminal landscape cannot be compared to the 2023 criminal landscape of LA.

12 minutes ago, subway244 said:

It is as immersion breaking as we claim.

Street gangs exist in and rule the west coast, LCN, does not. LCN gets bullied and laughed at in cali.

13 minutes ago, subway244 said:

The difference is that one concept is realistic and exists on the west coast, the other isn't.