Vehicle reliability, breakdowns, maintenance, and improvements for mechanics

mj2002

This won't really affect most people since they don't keep their cars (or characters) long enough, this will only hurt PD, FD, and companies that operate fleets, IE trucking etc. Seems like a lot of work for little reward other than going to the garage "service my car pls!" 

I say keep it as it is.  

+1 This would be nice to see, I can imagine it to take a long time for it to be developed and to bring it up to a working standard though. Maybe a slightly simplified version of your suggestion. Would definitely like to see some sort of recovery scenarios in-game though. Would give mechanics and garages a lot more to do than just opening up shop. 

+1

Incredible solution.

I’ve been thinking about a way to introduce realistic vehicle maintenance, and I think you’ve got it. This will actually add a meaning to mileage and make the used car market actually viable, as a Rebla with 1000 miles won’t sell for the same as a new one anymore.

A suggestion I have is maybe introduce a MOT system. In the UK, a car needs to take a MOT test every year to ensure it is road legal, and is only allowed to drive if it passes. In game, it would still be legal to drive without one, but it’s suggested to take it in for an MOT every month or two. A car with more MOT’s would be more reliable, and a car with 4 MOT’s would be worth more than the same car of same age with 1 MOT. Just a suggestion from me.

- Introduce a hidden reliability variable per vehicle, influenced primarily by mileage, but perhaps also by modifications to the vehicle's engine, transmission, and turbo.

- Introduce a base reliability value per vehicle model (higher on newer vehicles, lower on older and high performance vehicles)

Letting admins and anyone that doesn't know jack about cars set this will mean every older car will break down bi-daily. People forget that modified vehicles can be modified in a way to make it x10 more reliable, and y'know. Admins doing that on here, I highly doubt we'd see that. Some old cars are bulletproof while newer cars are fragile and electrical nightmares and awful to maintain. Leave it as is, hyper realism related to vehicles is a one way street to nothing positive.