Vehicle reliability, breakdowns, maintenance, and improvements for mechanics

mj2002

Honestly this sounds good on paper but going through the hassle to find a garage during certain times will make it annoying. That, along with LEO/FD factions having to go through constant vehicles 'repairs' won't be ideal considering people aren't interested to roleplay as mechanics despite the factions having those positions available. We already struggle with currently maintaining vehicles, this'll only make it worse. 

5 minutes ago, Timzii said:

Honestly this sounds good on paper but going through the hassle to find a garage during certain times will make it annoying. That, along with LEO/FD factions having to go through constant vehicles 'repairs' won't be ideal considering people aren't interested to roleplay as mechanics despite the factions having those positions available. We already struggle with currently maintaining vehicles, this'll only make it worse. 

- NPC garages only open if there are no people, in the same way convenience stores work.

- LEO vehicles could get an OOC exception, e.g maintenance every 2000 miles.

without reading this in detail, I think something drastic should be made to improve the car market/scene (not what you buy and sell but generally what cars we see etc)

Modifying your car is the norm, we have way too much customization available too easily perhaps? It can be a good thing too, allowing creative players to make cool things but the whole mechanic and car culture that exists doesn't even promote normal cars with normal colors. I buy a car new, I then have to take it to a mechanic to provide charity roleplay to remove the flame spitting exhaust and apply a factory standard looking color. If I want the car to feel like my characters personality was not about which car I drove that is.

And this charity roleplay is not even very good or immersive, the mechanic push a catalog down my throat then go in the garage to do a bunch of /mes to themselves so admins won't chop them in pieces.

Wish it was something more the lines of, I buy a new car, only the models that make sense for the year would be available, and in a few well chosen stock colors. I could even buy the turbo model or order different seats for some models, for a hefty price of course... But the major car company probably didn't offer me to put neon lights under the car. Older models could be offered through npc shops as well if we deem it necessary so people can make their concepts, but with far less customization? Some kind of balance for this of course..

Taking your car to the mechanic will occur too, but instead of changes being applied instantly, maybe they can keep the car for longer. With a better /vdup system or even a smart abuse protected key system. It wouldn't be a problem. The mechanic I chose put a lot of effort into their portrayal too and so they could offer me a rental while they worked on the car. When I was ready to pick up the car the shop had closed but the script wasn't crap so I was able to get my car anyway and return the rental.

anyway tldr +1 yes add some depth to cars

• Upvote 1
On 4/1/2023 at 12:44 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

It's an IC issue that can't be solved as far as I know. If this change went through LEO RP would be unplayable since half the fleet would be on maintenance permanently. 500 miles is nothing for a LEO car, it gets filled in 2 days.

Expanding the fleet could be an IC solution, right?

14 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Expanding the fleet could be an IC solution, right?

This is something that takes a long time, you have no idea the amount of bureaucracy you deal with. Meanwhile the game would be harder to play for most of the faction due to the fleet being broken down for weeks/months.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
On 4/1/2023 at 12:19 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

Doesn't work when you have a lot of LEO/FD players but not a lot of cars. If I was the only one using my Scout the 1500 miles wouldn't be an issue but it's usually several people using it in a week. 1500 miles is nothing. 500 miles? You could do half of that in a single patrol based on how many pursuits you get into. PD cars would need maintenance every few days, it would be terrible, half the fleet would always be broken down and LEO roleplay would be crippled.

Just this week we had half the K-9 Fleet needing maintenance. It's not a type of RP people usually enjoy, so the work piles up until it becomes a major issue.

If anything I think maintenance should be entirely removed. It's an annoying minigame. You know how people oppose thirst/hunger systems because they become annoyances you NEED to do, instead of WANT to do? That's maintenance. It's basically a hunger system for cars. Time to get rid of it.

However, there should be some car damage system, cause people flip their cars and then keep driving all the time. 

Agreed.

Overall, I like this idea for a system as well! +1

On 4/8/2023 at 11:42 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

This is something that takes a long time, you have no idea the amount of bureaucracy you deal with. Meanwhile the game would be harder to play for most of the faction due to the fleet being broken down for weeks/months.

If you were confronted with this new reality without any preparations, then yeah, I'd agree that would be a problem. That's more a concern for a potential implementation though, not necessarily anything against the concept.

+Support.

I love this idea. But maybe its also worth adding a command to check the "condition" of your vehicle, AKA if it is suffering from a breakdown. Some people might mistake their vehicle mods/turbo not being enabled for a restream issue and not explicitly a vehicle breakdown.

On 4/1/2023 at 6:19 AM, pateuvasiliu said:

Doesn't work when you have a lot of LEO/FD players but not a lot of cars. If I was the only one using my Scout the 1500 miles wouldn't be an issue but it's usually several people using it in a week. 1500 miles is nothing. 500 miles? You could do half of that in a single patrol based on how many pursuits you get into. PD cars would need maintenance every few days, it would be terrible, half the fleet would always be broken down and LEO roleplay would be crippled.

Just this week we had half the K-9 Fleet needing maintenance. It's not a type of RP people usually enjoy, so the work piles up until it becomes a major issue.

If anything I think maintenance should be entirely removed. It's an annoying minigame. You know how people oppose thirst/hunger systems because they become annoyances you NEED to do, instead of WANT to do? That's maintenance. It's basically a hunger system for cars. Time to get rid of it.

However, there should be some car damage system, cause people flip their cars and then keep driving all the time. 

It's an annoyance but it's something we /gotta/ do irl. What's the purpose of heavy roleplay if you wanna dim it down to an RPG just because every real aspect is an "annoyance," to you.

• Upvote 1