Vehicle reliability, breakdowns, maintenance, and improvements for mechanics

mj2002

1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Show me proof that LAPD has 5 cops driving the same car and we can talk. 

It's true that in real life, law enforcement agencies like the LAPD typically have a fleet of vehicles that are assigned to individual officers and rotated regularly. Each officer would not be driving the same car over an extended period of time, as vehicles would need to be rotated for maintenance and replaced over time. However, in a game context, it's not always possible or practical to replicate the logistics and costs of managing a large fleet of vehicles. Simulating vehicle reliability could add an extra layer of challenge and realism to the game, and while it may not be an exact replica of real-world fleet management, it could still be an engaging and fun gameplay mechanic. On the other hand, if the mechanic is too punishing or unpredictable, it could frustrate players and take away from the fun of the game. 

25 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

It's true that in real life, law enforcement agencies like the LAPD typically have a fleet of vehicles that are assigned to individual officers and rotated regularly. Each officer would not be driving the same car over an extended period of time, as vehicles would need to be rotated for maintenance and replaced over time. 

Okay, so the matter is settled. Thanks for the discussion.

More vehicle maintenance would just make LEO roleplay less enjoyable. It's already bad. Before K-9 got its takehomes half the fleet was on maintenance for a week. That's terrible. We're playing a game to have fun.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
On 4/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

Okay, so the matter is settled. Thanks for the discussion.

More vehicle maintenance would just make LEO roleplay less enjoyable. It's already bad. Before K-9 got its takehomes half the fleet was on maintenance for a week. That's terrible. We're playing a game to have fun.

Seems like a bit of an over exaggeration, especially considering that as an officer, deputy or ranger you have nothing to do with vehicle maintenance beyond writing a forum post on a maintenance request board with the car’s license plate. 

2 hours ago, eTaylor said:

Seems like a bit of an over exaggeration, especially considering that as an officer, deputy or ranger you have nothing to do with vehicle maintenance beyond writing a forum post on a maintenance request board with the car’s license plate. 

And you d wait 1 week for it while half the fleet is fucked meaning you can t patrol. That s not a good feature. Forcing people to write paperwork is also bad. I assure you nobody enjoys alt tabbing to a forum and having to write a form. It's annoying IRL and 10 times worse when you're playing a game you supposedly want to have fun in.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
On 4/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

The original post already allowed for alternative variables for certain classes of vehicles that are known to do way more miles than others. I don't think ignoring that is a good way to discount the entire concept.

On 4/28/2023 at 4:12 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

And you d wait 1 week for it while half the fleet is fucked meaning you can t patrol. That s not a good feature. Forcing people to write paperwork is also bad. I assure you nobody enjoys alt tabbing to a forum and having to write a form. It's annoying IRL and 10 times worse when you're playing a game you supposedly want to have fun in.

The paperwork is literally you filing the license plate number in a Fleet Maintenance Service request board. If filing 8 digits you find on the license plate every now and then is such a tiring and frustrating amount of paperwork I have no idea how you survive the judicial paperwork. A car requiring maintenance isn’t immobile either, you can keep driving it and even if you couldn’t you have dozens of cars. Maintenance is often same day or next day and handled internally by fleet mechanics or through service garages. I’ve never in all my time in PD, SD or PR “waited” for a car to be fixed whether it’s a personally assigned vehicle or a pool vehicle. I’ve also never heard of sections of fleets being unavailable, considering it’s literally impossible that’s a hard 🧢 

7 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Maintenance is often same day or next day

Lmao yeah no. I've seen cars stay in for a week.

7 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I’ve also never heard of sections of fleets being unavailable, considering it’s literally impossible that’s a hard

Well I saw what I saw. Half the K-9 fleet was unavailable for use, to the point where we were running out of cars. It's a meaningless, time wasting mini game and in real life it wouldn't happen. For players it should be a thing, but for LEO cars where multiple people drive the same cars it's just a punishment for logging in at the wrong time.

If everyone had their own takehome, sure, whatever, but most people in LEO factions drive cars that others drive as well.

Edited by pateuvasiliu