Vehicle reliability, breakdowns, maintenance, and improvements for mechanics

mj2002

+2 this.

Gives tow trucks a reason to start back up, cars break down IRL, It's a known problem and far too common but it happens, life happens. Would also give mechanics more roleplay than just "can you put performance kit on car pls." It's going to help bring out more roleplay for those who desperately need it and also kinda push it onto people who need to RP it, such as the people complaining that it's annoying and doesn't need to be a thing, which I assume are the same people who /b "Void?" car crashes because it annoys them. Car breaking down is annoying, I deal with it all the time as my work car is a royal fucking piece of shit and I just had to replace the timing set which set me back 900 dollars because I don't have the time to work on it myself, but it happens.

Make GTAW RP again

13 hours ago, Sheggy said:

It's an annoyance but it's something we /gotta/ do irl. What's the purpose of heavy roleplay if you wanna dim it down to an RPG just because every real aspect is an "annoyance," to you.

In real life you don t have 5 cops driving the same car over a week.

Cars also don t need maintenance so often IRL and if they did the PD mechanics would handle it. Whereas here you wait a week for a request to be fulfilled.

11 hours ago, mj2002 said:

With the limitations on the map and people's playing time, that's just how it is. Maintenance barely plays a role in that.

nah i know plenty ppl putting lots of miles on cars, the virtual night club visitors who drive 5 miles a week and spend most of their time on menyoo aren't the only players, maintenance every 750 miles would be just straight up annoying

i genuinely hate this suggestion because it will make most players change cars even more often, it would be much nicer to see players KEEP their car for a long time like you would in real life instead but what youre suggesting discourages that heavily

Edited by Shiro
4 hours ago, Shiro said:

nah i know plenty ppl putting lots of miles on cars, the virtual night club visitors who drive 5 miles a week and spend most of their time on menyoo aren't the only players, maintenance every 750 miles would be just straight up annoying

i genuinely hate this suggestion because it will make most players change cars even more often, it would be much nicer to see players KEEP their car for a long time like you would in real life instead but what youre suggesting discourages that heavily

Changing cars isn't the problem. Many people I know IRL change their car every other month.

The problem is people do not care for their cars at all. Crash it? /vp. Durability? Non-existent.

People who show interest in their car will maintain it, and will actually form a greater bond with the car than currently. It also increases roleplay for mechanics, tow trucks, used part dealers, and yourself. If we are trying to be fully realistic why don't we remove /vp and /vg as that means people can despawn their car into safety whenever they want and not care about it. But, as this is a server and not IRL we need /vp to keep the fun.

Proper vehicle maintenence should be added.

11 minutes ago, mek4n said:

Changing cars isn't the problem. Many people I know IRL change their car every other month.

The problem is people do not care for their cars at all. Crash it? /vp. Durability? Non-existent.

People who show interest in their car will maintain it, and will actually form a greater bond with the car than currently. It also increases roleplay for mechanics, tow trucks, used part dealers, and yourself. If we are trying to be fully realistic why don't we remove /vp and /vg as that means people can despawn their car into safety whenever they want and not care about it. But, as this is a server and not IRL we need /vp to keep the fun.

Proper vehicle maintenence should be added.

I'm sure it sounds great to you in theory but as someone who managed a garage and been around them for years it's not a good idea to increase the workload for them, especially with customers who are there against their own will, no real rp will come out of that since barely anybody has the patience to wait 10 minutes for their shit to be tuned already. There's really not enough mechanics on the server to handle that and all the towing that will suddenly be needed, which would mean that we then need npc garages just like the 24/7's, and that doesnt add any rp

But that side, why would a car have such a big chance to break down when you're following the maintenance intervals religiously? Maintenance system could definitely use a rework but only to add some depth and maybe allow some of the work to be done by the player without needing a shop such as changing oil, adding fluids and some other simple stuff that won't make it a chore. Why would a car that's maintained regularly at a shop break down every 100-300 miles with a big chance to completely kill the engine?? 

1 minute ago, Shiro said:

But that side, why would a car have such a big chance to break down when you're following the maintenance intervals religiously? Maintenance system could definitely use a rework but only to add some depth and maybe allow some of the work to be done by the player without needing a shop such as changing oil, adding fluids and some other simple stuff that won't make it a chore. Why would a car that's maintained regularly at a shop break down every 100-300 miles with a big chance to completely kill the engine?? 

Let's get a few things out of the way.

The 'every 100-300 miles' thing sounds ridiculous until you realize that the average vehicle on the server doesn't reach more than 300 miles in its lifetime. Yes, there are exceptions, but I'm talking about an average. 100-300 miles in GTAW does not equate 100-300 miles in real life. I'm not sure if this is what you're implying, but if you are then it is not an honest point.

Secondly, the suggestion is not aimed at trying to annoy you specifically. It is to bridge the gap between zero breakdowns (current system) and 'too many breakdowns' (a system that is annoying to everyone). We'll need to find a decent value for the number of breakdowns per mile driven on the server, and then an additional number of engine shutdowns per mile driven on the server. As has been stated at least three times in the first post; Value subject to change! No need to complain about something for which there is not even a firm number yet. The point is, right now we have essentially nothing, and this can be improved. I specifically proposed a system that doesn't leave the character stranded most of the time, but instead uses all relevant car mechanics that I could think of to make it dynamic, and somewhat interesting system instead of just being punishing and annoying.

Thirdly, you have a solid point about mechanics workload. This is something that needs to be considered. In my view, too much mechanics time is spent 'modding' cars, rather than maintaining or repairing cars. This gets us closer to realism, which should be something we collectively strive for, as long as it remains fun. That last part is important, so I think your point here is valid. Shifting more time from modding where it is unrealistic (characters outside the car culture rarely modify their cars) and moving it to where it is realistic (repairs and maintenance) can help here, but either way it will be a challenging. I'm happy to hear people's ideas and thoughts on how to address this, one way or another.

1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

Let's get a few things out of the way.

The 'every 100-300 miles' thing sounds ridiculous until you realize that the average vehicle on the server doesn't reach more than 300 miles in its lifetime. Yes, there are exceptions, but I'm talking about an average. 100-300 miles in GTAW does not equate 100-300 miles in real life. I'm not sure if this is what you're implying, but if you are then it is not an honest point.

Secondly, the suggestion is not aimed at trying to annoy you specifically. It is to bridge the gap between zero breakdowns (current system) and 'too many breakdowns' (a system that is annoying to everyone). We'll need to find a decent value for the number of breakdowns per mile driven on the server, and then an additional number of engine shutdowns per mile driven on the server. As has been stated at least three times in the first post; Value subject to change! No need to complain about something for which there is not even a firm number yet. The point is, right now we have essentially nothing, and this can be improved. I specifically proposed a system that doesn't leave the character stranded most of the time, but instead uses all relevant car mechanics that I could think of to make it dynamic, and somewhat interesting system instead of just being punishing and annoying.

Thirdly, you have a solid point about mechanics workload. This is something that needs to be considered. In my view, too much mechanics time is spent 'modding' cars, rather than maintaining or repairing cars. This gets us closer to realism, which should be something we collectively strive for, as long as it remains fun. That last part is important, so I think your point here is valid. Shifting more time from modding where it is unrealistic (characters outside the car culture rarely modify their cars) and moving it to where it is realistic (repairs and maintenance) can help here, but either way it will be a challenging. I'm happy to hear people's ideas and thoughts on how to address this, one way or another.

300 miles in GTAW can easily be driven in the span of hours. Not a fan at all, that's just crazy. 

I think there's a line between fun, and realism and GTAW has already taken liberties that only serve to make the game more tedious, or annoying in some areas with no real benefit for anyone. I feel like a system like this would be one of those cases. I'd perhaps support every 5000 miles or more, if you want to get over the tedious aspect of things. Having to get your car repaired once a week isn't anywhere near realistic.

Edited by mikethemike