Portrayal Issues

radreaper100

Rad I will give my two cents if you really believe there is an issue here. And maybe get back to your topic on point. First of all maybe sometimes you don’t realize what you do wrong even if you think your roleplay is right or acceptable. And I am speaking of my own experience with you, I took you out on your first ever patrol in PD, if you remember when I was your FTO. Typically rookies in PD would realistically be shitfaced and scared when coming onto streets with a shit ton of crime, they look up to their FTO and wish to learn and prove themselves to them. You were the opposite because you roleplayed having immense amount of knowledge, a shit ton of bravery where you went as far and made a huge scene inside TTCF over me slamming a suspect into a door. Now I have never heard of a P1 snitching on their FTO on first patrol, does it happen? Yeah maybe but they dont scream out loud at them infront of a lot of other people and then cause a even bigger scene outside MRS, running and yelling at first Sergeant you see that your FTO went corrupt instead of filling in an IA report, if your character really had to. That was my first bad experience and I am sure you know some things you did were questionable and second one was during a crisis negotiation scene where a female jumped off a bridge and I was the negotiator (this was 2-3 months later) and you roleplayed your character losing it, having an outburst and screaming at me, taking off your shirt and throwing it at me, again causing a massive scene over a female suiciding that you DID NOT KNOW and blamed it all on the negotiator. That again is questionable portrayal. Now I personally think you are an okay guy and we were able to talk normally OOCly on teamspeak, however you have a very short temper and I remember you going off on someone else on Teamspeak. Now I dont know exact reason you got removed from PD but what I do know is that my experience with you and your potrayal was unpleasant. As you know when you do fuck ups, people tend to remember you for things you did in past, I myself know that very well from my samp days and I can tell you from experience it takes years for people to realize you changed or in some cases grow up. And when people remember you for something bad you did in the past they are very very quickly to jump the gun at you the moment an opporunity arises ir you were in the wrong or not. It just the way it is. You got a long way to go but hopefully I put things a little bit into perspective for you and if not at least answered the potrayal issues for ya. 

I've noticed that those who get the complaint that they have portrayal issues usually fall into these four camps:

• It's a death by a thousand small cuts and they eventually get booted.
  • Someone doesn't like you for whatever reason and they're trying to get you out.
  • They do one massive fuckup that ruins their reputation.
  • Portrayal isn't something they look too closely at because they see rules as mere guidelines.

And unless you either do a massive fuckup or see rules as guidelines, it's hard to know in which category you belong in.

Edited by Jeroen
It's four camps, not three.
16 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

All this Dunning-Kruger put on display and you still fail to notice that even post tax the guy with 300,000$ still has 4 times more money than the guy with 70,000$. Which means if the 200,000$ isn't living well with that money, the one with 54,000$ should be starving. Which is... not the case. Again, most people on Los Angeles related forums name 70,000$ as a pretty decent income. The difference is huge between that and 200,000$.

Furthermore, you assume that 'benefits' and 'overtime' are taxed the same as the base salary, which I doubt.

And if you're going to call transparentcali inaccurate, I expect proof.

Do you think two people making 300K USD are going to be living the same life as somebody from Cluj or Pitesti, as they would somebody in Bucharest?

It's a matter of living expenses, along with the value of real estate in that area. California is an entity of a state, with a significant amount of taxes, both levied against sales, specific "luxury" goods and sales taxes, along with having a hefty amount of regulations that result in California having their own specific brands of certain commodities, which in turn again, leads to an increase in living costs across the board. 

The salary of a cop, even as high as it is with overtime pay, union incentives, bonuses and benefits is still enough to actually match the cost of living in a city like LA. It's not sustainable, unless you live in a literal shack. Most officers commute from the burbs, from the south-ish, like Orange County, to the Inland Empire, and cities like Corona and Chino. The commute sucks balls, traffic is insane, and then you have to take into account of the fact that they're probably going to be using a fuel efficient car, not a million dollar sports car, along with the retardedly insane costs of gas in the city. It can easily take 2 hours to get to LA proper from some of these aforementioned areas.

8 hours ago, radreaper100 said:

This really isn't pertinent, please don't derail this.

Poor portrayal is the lack of portraying well... A character that fits within their allotted role. Whether it be the fact that they have assets they wouldn't realistically have without severe consequence, the lack of portraying the mental toll that comes with certain lifestyles, like for example the toxic overtime culture the LAPD has where a decent chunk of officers have no semblance of a normal life and are basically peer pressured into clocking 80-100 hours every week, or simply not addressing the trauma that comes with certain lifestyles portrayed on this server.

View roleplaying as acting in a sense.

No need 4 paragraphs, if your fifty year old Italian mobster is climbing walls to spray paint tag it and then driving off in a 300k car, that’s portrayal issues

if you’re a female civilian who only works at a smoothie place don’t provoke 1v10 into a group of criminals, portrayal issues. 

if the leader of your Yakuza is female, portrayal issues

most things are pretty common sense

Edited by Kucheras
  • Upvote 1

base pay (which is not AWFUL, but far from 300k/yr for every cop)

- minus tax  (a lot, cali is fucked)

- minus rent (roughly 3k/mo. on avg.)

- minus car payment (500-600/mo. for an average car), as well as insurance and maintenance (both can get stupidly expensive for high-end cars)

- minus fuel (4.5$/gal w. an avg. 25mpg. a lot of people commute more than 25mi/day in la county, if you do 50? thats another $270/mo or $3000+ a yr)

= cops r not rich

on top of that, incl. other regular costs, bills, food, clothing, other neccessities. yes, you wont be starving, and you could realistically afford some nice things and wont be driving a falling-apart 02' saturn sc, BUT, you wont be living in 12k sqft mansions and driving italian supercars. in short - no offense intended, i see where u are coming from and how various sources can skew people's perception of wealth and income, but, transparentcalifornia saying $300k doesnt mean "all of em make as much and take it all home", and being a cop is not really anyone's golden ticket to a calabasas house and a ferrari 812

Edited by onefortyseven
  • Upvote 3

Hello.

First off, reddit or forums for wages and stuff? pls. Use government sites.

https://www.sanfranciscopolice.org/your-sfpd/careers/sworn-job-openings/salary-and-benefits

Starting salaries for SFPD is 103k a year.

https://www.joinlapd.com/salary

LAPD is 80k a year as a full time officer.

Most big city police departments offer subsidies or other benefits to get you to move closer to the working areas. Some offer low mortgage or rent assistance etcetera.

Median house prices in LA is close to a mil, median rent is 2.7k a month. It is expensive however police officers there get just enough to survive with the salaries plus the benefits/subs they get. We are however /not/ portraying LA or SF or California. Their cost of living is nothing like our cost of living and arguing otherwise is stupid.

Secondly,

We had a guy in SAPA argue with a supervisor, he was pushed into the waters and all. After the shift ended, he ran up to the supervisor and stabbed that sucker. This would be solved in a report for escalation issues but we decided (rather the guy that got stabbed) to fuck it and go after him ICly via police and other means. We didn't boot him out of the faction due to ooc reasons, i do understand why some factions do that but it should always be taken icly. You don't have to meet the person to deliver a punishment or not, you can send a email or have someone else do it for you.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Allerion said:

Rad I will give my two cents if you really believe there is an issue here. And maybe get back to your topic on point. First of all maybe sometimes you don’t realize what you do wrong even if you think your roleplay is right or acceptable. And I am speaking of my own experience with you, I took you out on your first ever patrol in PD, if you remember when I was your FTO. Typically rookies in PD would realistically be shitfaced and scared when coming onto streets with a shit ton of crime, they look up to their FTO and wish to learn and prove themselves to them. You were the opposite because you roleplayed having immense amount of knowledge, a shit ton of bravery where you went as far and made a huge scene inside TTCF over me slamming a suspect into a door. Now I have never heard of a P1 snitching on their FTO on first patrol, does it happen? Yeah maybe but they dont scream out loud at them infront of a lot of other people and then cause a even bigger scene outside MRS, running and yelling at first Sergeant you see that your FTO went corrupt instead of filling in an IA report, if your character really had to. That was my first bad experience and I am sure you know some things you did were questionable and second one was during a crisis negotiation scene where a female jumped off a bridge and I was the negotiator (this was 2-3 months later) and you roleplayed your character losing it, having an outburst and screaming at me, taking off your shirt and throwing it at me, again causing a massive scene over a female suiciding that you DID NOT KNOW and blamed it all on the negotiator. That again is questionable portrayal. Now I personally think you are an okay guy and we were able to talk normally OOCly on teamspeak, however you have a very short temper and I remember you going off on someone else on Teamspeak. Now I dont know exact reason you got removed from PD but what I do know is that my experience with you and your potrayal was unpleasant. As you know when you do fuck ups, people tend to remember you for things you did in past, I myself know that very well from my samp days and I can tell you from experience it takes years for people to realize you changed or in some cases grow up. And when people remember you for something bad you did in the past they are very very quickly to jump the gun at you the moment an opporunity arises ir you were in the wrong or not. It just the way it is. You got a long way to go but hopefully I put things a little bit into perspective for you and if not at least answered the potrayal issues for ya. 

I appreciate the feedback Allerion and for what it's worth all my interactions with you were mostly constricted to IC. The RP was pretty solid. Now, in terms of the whole snitching out their FTO... it's important to remember we're living in a digital age and the LAPD (Which the LSPD is based on) was so corrupt, it had federal oversight to try and keep it quelled. Your character didn't just slam a suspect into a door.

[21:43:03] * Luciano Sapo swabs the sparse end of the cotton upon his cheek, collecting some saliva and now slipping it into the kit and placing that into a ziplock.
[21:43:19] Lucy Kenway says: Good.
[21:43:30] * Luciano Sapo scribbles a label on it.
[21:43:31] Lucy Kenway says: Luciano, do me a favour and stand in that corner by the table and the door.

[21:43:36] * Lucy Kenway points to her left.
[21:43:42] * Luciano Sapo wordlessly does so.
[21:43:43] Lucy Kenway says: Aight, bud.
[21:43:53] * Lucy Kenway grips Matthew by the bicep as she guides him along, walking him to the door.
[21:44:59] * Matthew Garza gets guided along.
[21:45:02] * Nope. ((Lucy Kenway))*

[21:45:08] * I didn't walk you out the door. ((Lucy Kenway))*
[21:45:18] * Lucy Kenway would position Matthew in front of her against the door.

[21:45:45] Lucy Kenway says [low]: Kid.
[21:46:21] * Lucy Kenway would swiftly kick Matthew in the left knee from behind and out of camera view with Luciano blocking it, once Matthew bends over due to the knee hit, she'd grab the back of his head and slamming it against the door.
[21:46:24] * Able to? ((Lucy Kenway))*
[21:46:49] * Yes, Matthew is caught off guard ((Matthew Garza))*
[21:46:50] Matthew Garza shouts: Fuck!
[21:46:53] Matthew Garza shouts: What is you doin hoe?!
[21:47:00] * The door would push open as Matthew falls most likely. ((Lucy Kenway))*
[21:47:10] * Luciano Sapo found his eyes starting to widen from what occurred, throwing a hand out to grab along his partner's shoulder the moment she engaged.
[21:47:18] Luciano Sapo says: Woah, woah?!

Your character asked mine to block a camera in Twin Towers so you could beat a handcuffed minor that wasn't even resisting by slamming his head into a door. Given the fact that we're in a jail with cameras everywhere and you made my character an accessory to it by telling him to block a camera... yeah, my character was upset. That's his career and his life, you can be criminally charged for that.

Besides that though, I didn't have a problem with you OOC. It's just roleplay. Your new character went on to do some good things in the department and you got pretty far.

Edited by radreaper100
52 minutes ago, radreaper100 said:

I appreciate the feedback Allerion and for what it's worth all my interactions with you were mostly constricted to IC. The RP was pretty solid. Now, in terms of the whole snitching out their FTO... it's important to remember we're living in a digital age and the LAPD (Which the LSPD is based on) was so corrupt, it had federal oversight to try and keep it quelled. Your character didn't just slam a suspect into a door.

[21:43:03] * Luciano Sapo swabs the sparse end of the cotton upon his cheek, collecting some saliva and now slipping it into the kit and placing that into a ziplock.
[21:43:19] Lucy Kenway says: Good.
[21:43:30] * Luciano Sapo scribbles a label on it.
[21:43:31] Lucy Kenway says: Luciano, do me a favour and stand in that corner by the table and the door.

[21:43:36] * Lucy Kenway points to her left.
[21:43:42] * Luciano Sapo wordlessly does so.
[21:43:43] Lucy Kenway says: Aight, bud.
[21:43:53] * Lucy Kenway grips Matthew by the bicep as she guides him along, walking him to the door.
[21:44:59] * Matthew Garza gets guided along.
[21:45:02] * Nope. ((Lucy Kenway))*

[21:45:08] * I didn't walk you out the door. ((Lucy Kenway))*
[21:45:18] * Lucy Kenway would position Matthew in front of her against the door.

[21:45:45] Lucy Kenway says [low]: Kid.
[21:46:21] * Lucy Kenway would swiftly kick Matthew in the left knee from behind and out of camera view with Luciano blocking it, once Matthew bends over due to the knee hit, she'd grab the back of his head and slamming it against the door.
[21:46:24] * Able to? ((Lucy Kenway))*
[21:46:49] * Yes, Matthew is caught off guard ((Matthew Garza))*
[21:46:50] Matthew Garza shouts: Fuck!
[21:46:53] Matthew Garza shouts: What is you doin hoe?!
[21:47:00] * The door would push open as Matthew falls most likely. ((Lucy Kenway))*
[21:47:10] * Luciano Sapo found his eyes starting to widen from what occurred, throwing a hand out to grab along his partner's shoulder the moment she engaged.
[21:47:18] Luciano Sapo says: Woah, woah?!

Your character asked mine to block a camera in Twin Towers so you could beat a handcuffed minor that wasn't even resisting by slamming his head into a door. Given the fact that we're in a jail with cameras everywhere and you made my character an accessory to it by telling him to block a camera... yeah, my character was upset. That's his career and his life, you can be criminally charged for that.

Besides that though, I didn't have a problem with you OOC. It's just roleplay. Your new character went on to do some good things in the department and you got pretty far.

You missed my whole point. My point was your character exposing himself and making a massive deal out of a situation where a normal rookie would either close his eyes or make an IA complaint which is what happened in the end anyway. I am still shocked you don’t see the issue here so I’mma go over it to shed some light, your character screaming at TTCF with Deputies around, laying your hands on your FTO and trying to order them around is just… it doesnt happen from a rookie on their first day on the force. Your character had 0 fear at all and decided to cause a massive scene at jail and then back at Mission Row, yelling outside for quite a while, rushing to the first Sergeant you saw. That was the issue I had in this situation regarding portrayal, or well… realism. Now I am not gonna go back and forth, if you shared the whole chatlog from that duty shift, or at least went through it maybe you would understand why a lot of people had issues with you. And I know this topic you made is for you trying to understand the issue so I am just shining the light, but you being very defensive about it and fighting back with reasons why you did something is not really accepting criticism. Quote what I said in first post “First of all maybe sometimes you don’t realize what you do wrong even if you think your roleplay is right or acceptable.” 

So maybe the two scenes that I explained in my two posts can perhaps make you think about how you roleplay even if you think what you RP is doing the right thing. 

Edited by Allerion
18 minutes ago, Allerion said:

You missed my whole point. My point was your character exposing himself and making a massive deal out of a situation where a normal rookie would either close his eyes or make an IA complaint which is what happened in the end anyway. I am still shocked you don’t see the issue here so I’mma go over it to shed some light, your character screaming at TTCF with Deputies around, laying your hands on your FTO and trying to order them around is just… it doesnt happen from a rookie on their first day on the force. Your character had 0 fear at all and decided to cause a massive scene at jail and then back at Mission Row, yelling outside for quite a while, rushing to the first Sergeant you saw. That was the issue I had in this situation regarding portrayal, or well… realism. Now I am not gonna go back and forth, if you shared the whole chatlog from that duty shift, or at least went through it maybe you would understand why a lot of people had issues with you. And I know this topic you made is for you trying to understand the issue so I am just shining the light, but you being very defensive about it and fighting back with reasons why you did something is not really accepting criticism. Quote what I said in first post “First of all maybe sometimes you don’t realize what you do wrong even if you think your roleplay is right or acceptable.” 

So maybe the two scenes that I explained in my two posts can perhaps make you think about how you roleplay even if you think what you RP is doing the right thing. 

All I can really recommend is that you understand the ramifications for a police officer failing to report something as wanton as what occurred. There was a rookie who vaguely tried to stop their FTO from kneeling on a suspect and the suspect later died from it. In spite of it being the rookie's 4th day on the job and them even trying to tell their FTO they shouldn't be doing that, they were still terminated & found criminally liable and sentenced to prison time. The suspect's name was George Floyd.

It's very serious to brutalize suspects, even if it's a bit watered down in GTA:W. And yes, it's okay to stop someone in the middle of hurting a suspect, even if it's another officer. The concept is understood as having a duty to act, that a police officer failing to intervene against even a superior that's in the process of committing a criminal act opens them up to at best negligence of duty and at worst criminal liability. This has been a reoccurring trend in the United States in an attempt to keep accountability on good officers for allowing bad officers to do what it is they do. 

If it was the 90's, you might have a point otherwise.

Edited by radreaper100
  • Wuhtah locked this topic