Take breaks from GTA: W. You might need them more than you think.

Mistery14

This is not a "GTA W bad, leave now!" Type of post, far from it. There's no hate in this post.

GTA: World is fun. That's pretty much why we all joined, it's fun and we enjoy playing it. I think you can agree with that. - At least that's how it's supposed to feel.

But I can't stress this enough: There is a line between something being fun, and something becoming a second job/life. I haven't played games like WoW/LoL or any other big MMORPGs enough to give a comparison, and I know that GTA World is far from these games, but still. GTA World is demanding in very similar ways and this might resonate with some people who have experience with putting a lot of time into things.

It's a case-by-case thing, and some people might have more free time/willingness to stay logged on for more than some others, but still: If something starts to no longer being fun to you, and you start doing it mechanically and/or it feels like a chore: Take a break.

Matter of fact, I think we do need something more than just having the /holidays command to keep your mind off of GTA W and not worry about your properties, right now, it seems like whenever you hold any property or an IC job, it becomes a requirement for you to log on almost daily to keep your assets - Which is understandable to a degree but with the current playerbase I think the inactivity system should not be set in stone and rather be dependent on the average playerbase instead of what we have right now (3 hours minimum I think?).

To add to this, breaks can actually improve the quality of RP that you give out when you come back from a break, you'll feel more inspired, you get a wider range of ideas for your character(s) and you can be more invested than if it's something you're doing all day every day, or almost. It makes you appreciate the things that you'd normally glance over and immerse you better. Makes you less bitter about L's, too because the game is not something you're constantly working on.

I also think this absolutely applies to staff members and that regardless if it's "Something you sign up for", you all deserve a break from if it starts to impact you or your mental health in any way.

Just dropping this out there for anyone to read and discuss over, take care everyone, and don't be shitty to each other.

• Upvote 36
  • Thanks 7
  • Applaud 4
Just now, Mecovy said:

shout out to the leaders of larger legal factions especially. cause running a small faction feels like a full time job sometimes, big factions are basically a full second time job non stop. Kudo's to y'all. 

This. You have to deal with everyone else's problems, try to keep everyone happy all whilst having LFM breathing down your neck over why you want to display an extra cucumber in your shop.

• Upvote 4

100% agree. If you get too deep into the community, it can seriously become a part-time or even full-time job, which isn't very healthy at all. This is why I personally have never believed in holding members who aren't in some position of power or responsibility to an activity requirement to be part of a faction. GTAW is a game, and like any other game you should be able to pick it up and play when you want, or not. Take some time off to do other stuff and play other games. 

• Upvote 3

Running Habeeb Taxi sure felt like having a second job at times. Especially with the horrible state of the taxi industry right now, hardly any calls, next to impossible to attract anyone. Spam /ads for nothing. It starts to become a chore as you say, a NEED to log on to hire people to stop your business from "failing". Even if you think you have a healthy balance, if your time spent IG is no longer fun then you don't have a healthy balance.. You shouldn't be logging on to not have fun. 

Edited by Late
  • Upvote 3

Tbh I dont see it much of a problem.. If you want to keep an important position, a faction of yours or being a staff member IMO you must be able to put in extra time in the server to keep track of what is going on otherwise it would be almost impossible to run things the way they are rn.

I would agree with you if we're talking of normal players whom dont have any major responsibility to the community, if we're talking of keeping the assets and so on, I guess the mandatory weekly/daily playing hours should be reduced.

• Upvote 1

A year of running continues events, both for the city and at Fantasia, there was never anyone saying "you have to" our bosses at LSgov would probably have been happy with half, and yet, you end up feeling like there was an expectation and responsibility that you have created and provide. Sometimes we would be burnt out and tired, and somone would ask for a wedding or a private event, and this wish to not dissapoint, we would repeatedly say yes. It Is easy to become your own worst enemy, taking on responsibility when everyone around you are happy and friends can see that you probably should stop for a bit. I am very fortunate to have @ChickenOffSkytaking a lot of the weight off. We repeatedly would pick up the slack for eachother when the other wasn't in the right head space.

That said, a break does not have to mean stopping to play. Sometimes the solution is to play other games, especially if you are feeling sensitive about something in game. If an ic break up is affecting your rl work, yes, time to play other games for a bit. But if you're just burnt out from ig responsibilities, a break can simply be to dedicate a  week or two to prioritise your character and hanging out ic with friends. 

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic