ISPs and you

Anders

7 minutes ago, Anders said:

I mean, having several routers in your apartment to RP an ISP works but that's not very safe wise compared to a proper datacenter. Your stuff can burn, be raided, power loss and so on plus any ISP would cut you off seeing how you essentially leech of their service which is against most TOS's they have. 

I think we misunderstood something.

However, this. You can also use this for ads or something.

I think it's good to have this as an RP opportunity for ULSA tech students.

However one element that I'd love to see in the server is one or two telephone companies.

They're tasked with maintaining physical infrastructure like telephone towers, and the connectivity between them.

You could have towers that are configured for low density long distance communication like in the desert, small towers servicing a small but dense community like Paleto Bay, or metropolitan towers servicing a big amount of telephone communication in the city.

This could provide some RP opportunity for things such as planned protests, where if a tower gets oversaturated that texts might arrive late or calls might get dropped, so the telco has to place an extra temporary tower like what happens at massive events in real life.

Another idea that I had is to put range limits on radio communication, where an increasing amount of interference happens over a longer distance. This interference scrambles words. Companies that require state-wide radio communications would need to install repeaters, which telcos can do.

18 hours ago, Anders said:

Hello.

Let me preface this to say that I am bias when it comes to this discussion as I run Dot-IT, the only player-run ISP in the state.

What is the community's whole mindset when it comes to portraying realistic ISPs and buying internet from them? I know most of you use NPC ISPs for this purpose but I am curious why and how the few people in this niche market can do better to appeal to players and businesses. We already have cheap prices, we advertise all the time and people seem to know Dot-IT exists but don't want to order. It is not about the money by the way before you ask, I have been in the red since I started this company back in August 2021.

So I want to know your guys opinion on this.

Actually in my humble opinion, not many people even consider having ISP as part of roleplay at all. Just like they don't rp going to toilet.

Though I am sure, that people roleplaying mundane daily things, like business or some civilian roleplayers, do roleplay even these details.

Which I find quite refreshing.

Honestly, Dot-IT is one of the most interesting and well-done businesses in the server, and it feels good to see it still going despite the lack of broader interest.

If I can suggest something to try and make it more appealing, I would think of making more active RP around it. My char acquired broadband from the company and honestly haven't heard anything from it ever since. It would be cool to receive some e-mail every now and then, some telemarketing nuisances giving us calls offering better plans or a discount bundle deal, even stuff like having technicians RP cabling an area and sending letters to business and residents offering the services and creating private networks for business/factions. There's a good path of passive RP, although I understand that all this requires the manpower of interested people that maybe you don't have. This is a two-way street too, we as customers could request more customer service, or businesses that are Dot-IT clients request assistance with their systems, etc.

Agree with the mentioned suggestions of creating a bigger presence on the forums, showing screens, and RP stuff. I've seen you've been expanding Dot-IT and creating a bigger presence, and this could be part of that. Hope the business continue to thrive 🙂

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, denonvilliers said:

Honestly, Dot-IT is one of the most interesting and well-done businesses in the server, and it feels good to see it still going despite the lack of broader interest.

If I can suggest something to try and make it more appealing, I would think of making more active RP around it. My char acquired broadband from the company and honestly haven't heard anything from it ever since. It would be cool to receive some e-mail every now and then, some telemarketing nuisances giving us calls offering better plans or a discount bundle deal, even stuff like having technicians RP cabling an area and sending letters to business and residents offering the services and creating private networks for business/factions. There's a good path of passive RP, although I understand that all this requires the manpower of interested people that maybe you don't have. This is a two-way street too, we as customers could request more customer service, or businesses that are Dot-IT clients request assistance with their systems, etc.

Agree with the mentioned suggestions of creating a bigger presence on the forums, showing screens, and RP stuff. I've seen you've been expanding Dot-IT and creating a bigger presence, and this could be part of that. Hope the business continue to thrive 🙂

Thank you for those kind words, I love you.

As you said, it's the manpower we lack for that kind of roleplay to be done but we are working on more telecalls and passive RP like that like having our sales team contact clients and upsale things but its a work in progress. 

But it is a work in progress. We pay people an ok wage but compared to like SAPA and Aurum? I can never compete with them. Not even LST. So it has to be people interested in the roleplay.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic