feeling totally out of place as an average joe/criminal character

Gallagher

3 hours ago, Lindsie said:

Instead of complaining about others businesses, why not lead by example and make ordinary business that you want, instead of trying to change others on what they enjoy? Its not that hard to get hours on a alt and start your own business with good enough reasonings. We have wonderful admins like Wuhtah in PM team, that are more than happy to help out, long as the business is well thought out.

Running business is already huge IC and OOC headache. Dealing with robberies, shootouts, overall scum just causing trouble just for hell of it, script issues and so on. 

I co-own a taxi company with a friend who is ICly my brother and we provide jobs to people with very mediocre pay. It's not a gold mine for us as the owners either but we're enjoying the roleplay all around.

I've encountered the stuff you mentioned in your last paragraph really to an extent that is unrealistic. I mean, right now we're being extorted by four groups (one group I've spoken to only on the phone and yet I'm somehow supposed to be scared of them), all together they want so much money that there's no way ever that we could ever pay them that much since our monthly earnings wouldn't be high enough. And on top of that, one of the groups wants us to close shop for 4 days where we'd lose money because we can't hire drivers. 

If we pay these people, our company gets their "protection services". But we don't want to get any connections to criminals whatsoever so do I just pay them until we're bankrupt to the point our drivers can't buy gas for their taxis, or do we not pay them and then they'll CK our characters?? This isn't what i was looking for when I wanted to create taxi roleplay to be honest.

Edited by MarcusD
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, MarcusD said:

I co-own a taxi company with a friend who is ICly my brother and we provide jobs to people with very mediocre pay. It's not a gold mine for us as the owners either but we're enjoying the roleplay all around.

I've encountered the stuff you mentioned in your last paragraph really to an extent that is unrealistic. I mean, right now we're being extorted by four groups (one group I've spoken to only on the phone and yet I'm somehow supposed to be scared of them), all together they want so much money that there's no way ever that we could ever pay them that much since our monthly earnings wouldn't be high enough. And on top of that, one of the groups wants us to close shop for 4 days where we'd lose money because we can't hire drivers. 

If we pay these people, our company gets their "protection services". But we don't want to get any connections to criminals whatsoever so do I just pay them until we're bankrupt to the point our drivers can't buy gas for their taxis, or do we not pay them and then they'll CK our characters?? This isn't what i was looking for when I wanted to create taxi roleplay to be honest.

This situation is a shame, really.

Civilians are expected to properly fear RP in extortions (and they should), but the illegal side is not appropriately RPed.

Extortion over phone (?), multiple groups extorting the same territory (this should be a reason for a fight, a sit down at the very least, between them), requiring more money than the business can give (extortions are a continuous cash flow for an illegal group, if the business just close down because you request an unreasonable amount of money from it, what's the purpose? Just rob it then)...

27 minutes ago, MarcusD said:

@Wuhtah As a PM admin, insight into this would be nice. As far as I have heard, this is the kind of stuff that happens to regular businesses and why people don't want to deal with it. Sure, extortion is a part of the game but its pretty crazy here. Even the ritzy places aren't safe from it though. Extortion is pretty poorly RP'd for the most part (not always) and used as a cheap, low-effort cash cow rather than a means to further the RP development & experience of both sides. Civilians get put into a bad spot having to choose between what fear-RP should be displayed and doing what would make sense IRL (calling the cops). Calling the cops in our world gets you beat up, shot, your business burned down, the whole 9 yards. Running a business with this constantly? This also wears people down from wanting to run them altogether. This is not the sole contributor to the issues brought up in this thread, but it is a good chunk of it.

Edited by Streetsy
3 hours ago, Narco said:

Couldn't agree any more, especially the club goers that are in night clubs every single time they open, hopping between 3-5 different clubs / bar every single day, driving exotic cars, living in an expensive apartment, and not portraying their character realistically to do such. 

Pretty much I've noticed it's the players with a lot of money and as OP said, that own businesses which don't know how to portray an average joe, they all want to be rich and famous like Carry Saunders but not everybody is a famous newscaster like Carry Saunders and they attempt to portray their characters as some rich American living in LA that doesn't work at all but has an endless amount of money, very memeable. 

Is this really any different than people who only want to roleplay criminal characters? They're not portraying the average Joe either. Be the change you want to see.

• Wuhtah locked this topic