Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

14 minutes ago, dxrkside said:

This is definitely not a thing

I agree but when it comes to American sports like MLB, NFL, and NBA there can be times when people from New York and Los Angeles might not like each other temporarily. New York Knicks v. LA Lakers.

5 hours ago, Power said:

Born and raised in NYC. Spent plenty of time in LA. This is not true at all, people from Coastal cities probably get along better than people in the rest of the country. What are you basing this off 90s rap beef?

2 hours ago, dxrkside said:

This is definitely not a thing

Based on peers that live in NYC or LA that both hate on each other. I'm not here stating it leads to war, or anything, but both sides sort of look down on each other.

It's sort of a cultural reason. People in L.A. are more relaxed while people in N.Y.C. are much more fast-paced. New Yorkers hate how Los Angelinos have fake smiles, breasts, backsides etc... as they claim everything in L.A. is fake, while people in L.A. dislike how people rarely smile or socialize with one another on the street. They mock each other for their accents and lifestyles, and tensions only get heightened during sports gaming events. 

Believe what you'd like, but I know tons of people in N.Y.C. that can't stand being around someone from L.A... and I've heard people from L.A. mock NYC claiming that they are too egotistical and rude. Their lifestyles are different. If you didn't see that while living in either state, then I don't know who you were hanging with, but I use to live in NYC. People in L.A. hide their true intentions, a lot, behind a fake smile and persona, while New Yorkers will say it to your face. So, if you went to L.A.? It isn't like people will run their mouths right in front of you. Generally, they talk about it behind your back.

Now, as a tourist? Even worst, on both sides. L.A. people hate the rude behaviors of Yankee tourists and N.Y. residents, as stated before, dislike how people from L.A. always get into people's business. You might not have experienced it? But I have, and so have my N.Y.C. friends that went to L.A.

Now, to make absolute claims like "This is DEFINITELY not a thing" is wrong. It is a thing. Maybe common to some experiences or uncommon to others, but you are implying that it NEVER happens, when I know for a fact that it does.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DLimit said:

Now, to make absolute claims like "This is DEFINITELY not a thing" is wrong.

But making the claim if you don't roleplay hating each other it isn't realistic is? When I say I've spent plenty of time in LA. I don't just mean one vacation. I've was there just in July and spend plenty of time there between work and vacations. You are speaking in stereotypes and generalizations based on just your own personal anecdotes. There aren't even any intense sports rivalries between NY or LA compared to like Yankees vs the Astros or Redsox or Giants/Cowboys. Most New Yorkers could careless about people from LA because they really aren't interacting with people from LA on a regular basis. And not saying that doesn't exist people from states disliking people from other states. Texans really don't like Californians if you said that you would not see me disagree. But the way you describe NY/LA is the way I see people talk about it on social media not the real world. Anyways we can just agree to disagree not sure why you got so defensive.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:21 PM, DLimit said:

It's sort of a cultural reason. People in L.A. are more relaxed while people in N.Y.C. are much more fast-paced. 

Born and raised in California here, this is totally false and is a very poor assessment of California vs NY culture. California as a whole is very fast paced compared to most of the country, saying "be there at 8" actually means "be there by no later than 7:45", the only place I've ever been in the US that is any different is the midwest and the south where it is basically the opposite and "be there at 8" translates to 8:15.

But your overall assessment has no real basis in reality, LA and NY are more similar than they are dissimilar. 

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, TheSenate said:

Born and raised in California here, this is totally false and is a very poor assessment of California vs NY culture. California as a whole is very fast paced compared to most of the country, saying "be there at 8" actually means "be there by no later than 7:45", the only place I've ever been in the US that is any different is the midwest and the south where it is basically the opposite and "be there at 8" translates to 8:15.

But your overall assessment has no real basis in reality, LA and NY are more similar than they are dissimilar. 

Doesn't mean that people in N.Y. and L.A., at times, do not get along for cultural reasons. I know plenty of people from L.A. that hate New Yorkers with a passion, alongside with many New Yorkers that dislike L.A. tourists. Seen both sides mock each other's accents and classify each other as either egotistical, rude, or fake. Just remember this... in L.A.? People greet one another with huge fake smiles on their faces. In N.Y., people get upset if you make eye contact. People in N.Y. learn to mind their own business at all costs while people in L.A. get involved in nearly everything. L.A.'s context varies on which area you reside within, as-well, as Beverly Hills culture is different from Compton-culture etc... Despite both states being similar compared to other states? There's certain differences that make populations, on both sides, dislike each other. In fact, those differences, alone, are the reason why conflict can occur. Take my word for it? Most New Yorkers will already dislike an L.A. person for how they approach conversations. Not a lot of strangers like to be approached with conversations the same way that a person in Los Angeles would. People in N.Y. really value their personal space more than a person in L.A. The L.A. smile and fake demeanor may annoy a New Yorker, and the average New Yorker is easily annoyed by any stranger in their personal space. These small differences actually are a big deal when practiced, and I've even seen it with L.A. tourists within N.Y.

Even heard some New Yorkers simply hate on LAers by their voice... people from L.A. talk much slower, and knowing how easily an average New Yorker can get agitated by even the littlest of eye-contact? It's aggravating and annoying to an average NYer. I'm basing this on both my experiences in N.Y. and with people in N.Y.

On another note, I know tons of people in L.A. that come later than the scheduled time. Haven't met a person from L.A. that can work or move on the level of a person from N.Y., but we're ALL speaking from anecdotal evidence, here. Do you live in L.A., specifically? 

Just because two states have more similarities than differences, it doesn't mean that conflict doesn't arise due to cultural differences. I.E. India & Pakistan... tons of similarities, but the small differences are the cause of conflict. 

Edited by DLimit