Liquor Stores sell bigger varieties

Selu

1 minute ago, 99 said:

Something like this is what I was suggesting.

How does this work with stocking items?   Wouldn't we still have to do some form of /createdrink if we wanted, say, Miller?   Or do we just create that as a selection and it automatically gets filled?   And how would that work with us also getting the /local/ craft drinks from breweries?    It's two different kinds of stocking.  That'd be my only worry.      I'd also worry about how laggy the window would get if you can't sort by type and such.

5 minutes ago, Selu said:

How does this work with stocking items?   Wouldn't we still have to do some form of /createdrink if we wanted, say, Miller?   Or do we just create that as a selection and it automatically gets filled?   And how would that work with us also getting the /local/ craft drinks from breweries?    It's two different kinds of stocking.  That'd be my only worry.      I'd also worry about how laggy the window would get if you can't sort by type and such.

Yeah probably would have to be something made special for liquor stores. There are logistical issues with that script but I think a few modifications could make it work. I was just using it as an example to suggest so that liquor stores can take in custom stock rather than strictly rely on generic items. Maybe modify the liquor script to be able to add drinks on the back end and keep the regular menu from that, so it doesn't lag. That way a liquor store sells both generic items and custom drink products. Could even go as far as to suggest to use the car dealership script type menu to add custom drinks and pictures. There's a lot that could be done, if someone were willing to spend the time on developing it.

Edited by 99
2 minutes ago, 99 said:

Yeah probably would have to be something made special for liquor stores. There are logistical issues with that script but I think a few modifications could make it work. I was just using it as an example to suggest so that liquor stores can take in custom stock rather than strictly rely on generic items. Maybe modify the liquor script to be able to add drinks on the back end and keep the regular menu from that, so it doesn't lag. That way a liquor store sells both generic items and custom drink products. Could even go as far as to suggest to use the car dealership script type menu to add custom drinks and pictures. There's a lot that could be done, if someone were willing to spend the time on developing it.

A modified version could possibly work.  Some way that truckers can fulfill orders for actual name-branded slots whilst breweries fill orders for THEIR stuff.

adding a version of /createdrink to liquor stores seems sensible to me.

It uses components, so high-price drinks would also come with a cost and actual value.

If it went with a base item that was marked, similar to /drugname, scamming would also not be possible (if you think a bottle is worth 10 grand 😋).

But yeah, scamming as in just use random alcohol to create something.

3 hours ago, knppel said:

adding a version of /createdrink to liquor stores seems sensible to me.

It uses components, so high-price drinks would also come with a cost and actual value.

If it went with a base item that was marked, similar to /drugname, scamming would also not be possible (if you think a bottle is worth 10 grand 😋).

But yeah, scamming as in just use random alcohol to create something.

Exactly that. This way you can incorporate the real value of the drinks you're buying/selling through the use of components. While I agree breweries would be the best solution to get the source of the drinks from, as it stands everyone but the liquor stores can create their own drinks. A good idea to add a layer of RP.

So what becomes the point of the breweries that have been doing exactly what's being proposed here for years now? If liquor stores can do exactly what breweries are trying to do (and already having difficulty because customers prefer easier solutions), then breweries cease to have any real purpose on the server except for incredibly niche RP.

The supply chain should look like:

Breweries create and otherwise distribute alcohol to wholesalers like liquor stores and other businesses.

Customers either buy their booze from bars/clubs while on premises at a higher cost, or they buy it cheaper at a liquor store.

Liquor stores have refused time and time again over the course of the last two years to purchase products to sell from breweries (unless it's generic crafted liquor which turns into the generic liquor they sell). Every liquor store I have ever approached (about 8 different liquor stores) has been entirely unwilling to engage in the roleplay of purchasing actual branded products from breweries to resell--why would they? It just cuts into their margins and creates more work for them to sell from their script.

So in this suggestion, what does the purpose of breweries become? Just become obsoleted by liquor stores as they were earlier in the server's run?

Currently, the strength of liquor stores is that customers are able to buy booze easily and at a decent cost. Many bars/clubs would rather to go to a liquor store to buy booze because it's easier, faster, and requires less RP and coordination. People go to liquor stores to stock up for parties and other trips. This means liquor stores make significant sales by pushing product at little to no work required for them. Breweries sell a product that's cheaper and more customized, but that requires heaps more marketing, sales roleplay, negotiation, and fulfillment in delivery. What would be the purpose of breweries if a liquor store also beats them out on "quality" of product in addition to ease of access?

In the short term, seek out the existing liquor distributor RPers on the server who would be glad to stock your liquor store with any custom brands you want. We've already spent the two years roleplaying developing the connections within the liquor industry to facilitate that. It builds roleplay, it connects businesses, and it supports the projects which require tons of hard work to operate. Is it the most money-efficient way to win at the game? Probably not, but it makes for a stronger server.

Edited by Ink

Hmm I'd agree, but to have a choice that is at least half decent, we'd need at least a dozen active breweries. And a couple people, who ran one, that I talked to, said it was pretty flat and boring RP overall :x 

If the choice is "no because we need breweries!" and have 2 brands of whisky on the entire server, or "let liquor stores customize names" and we have a worldwide selection that changes based on the store and their business model... I'd tend to go for the latter :x 

I wouldn't really try to limit the possibilites for the sake of saving a type of business that nobody ever seemed interested in. 😕 

• Wuhtah locked this topic