Roleplaying Car Crashes

TommyX

The server becoming more and more accustom to voiding car crashes has directly lead to more people driving like maniacs at 120mph because they can get away with it. Additionally I see people saying "Oh well Rage has horrible dsync, it's not my fault" but it really is. 9/10 the person crying dsync after the crash were the ones driving at a speed that their PC just couldn't keep up with. They didn't crash because the server was laggy, they crashed because they were being reckless and they should face the consequence for that.

• Applaud 1

Car crashes are absolutely trash to roleplay. Often FD doesn’t have the available resources (when I do get into a car crash) and generally don’t even get the call in the first place. People also rarely roleplay realistically around car crashes. They usually step out of their car after a head on collision at a combined force of 230mph, look at their car. Feign surprise and shock. Then run to your ball of spaghetti that was once your proud car to ask if you’re okay. Or simply stand in front of

your car going “Aye wad tuh fuh cuh!” before robbing you. 

Maybe FD can comment on this; but what if they had something besides the onduty script to tell the server “hey we’re happy, ready and able to tend to car crashes right now.” 

• Upvote 1

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, really. Echoing what others have said:

Cracking down on this server's ease to void a car crash due to desync/lag (which 99% doesn't exist) will improve peoples' general awareness and driving, but it will be a nightmare because the people who do follow sensible driving practices IC will inevitably have to pay by being wrecked by a ball of metal that refuses to play by those rules.

Allowing people to void crashes if they both agree will on the other hand continue enabling the people who drive around at 130mph around the city.

Personally, the only way I see to realistically make people drive better is if damage to a car didn't disappear after /vp (save for scratches). If your car had a consistent, hidden health bar and every little crash (regardless of a void) meant money out of your pocket to eventually fix it (as well as running around with a half-wrecked sports car), a lot of people would stop being so reckless.

EDIT: This might also actually make insurance money mean something if a system was put in place to potentially make the cost of these repairs more trivial (in which if you provoke a car crash and have no insurance you can be in real trouble economically and legally), just saying  :))))

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 3
6 hours ago, Topinambour said:

I think this basically sums up a big part of the problem. Car crashes can happen for many reasons.

Now, sure there is desync, or streaming problems - just a few days ago, a new blockade near the port appeared 10 feet in front of me out of nowhere. Just today, a christmas tree appeared right in my face and screwed the entire front of my car lol And I was speed blocked at 35.

Even when driving at 25 mph, you just can't brake in time when that shit happens. That said, desync/streaming aren't necessarily the main "culprits".

Driving from 3rd person, with a controller or a keyboard, is not very natural. It makes it a bit harder to finely control your vehicle, without even counting the fact that you have no physical feedback. Trust me, the way your body feels when you accelerate too much/little, or when you turn too steeply, it's EXTREMELY important. 

This means you're a lot more likely to have minor crashes frequently, even if you drive at a steady 35 mph in city center and stop at every red light (and take 15 minutes to go from Alta to Mirror Park, in the process). If you press a LITTLE too much on D at some point, to correct your trajectory? You'll crash into a red light. 

Problem there is twofold. One: it's rather common. Two: it's rather boring. Because yes... Car crash RP has a /VERY LOW/ chance of yielding any interesting RP. Not even remotely interesting.

If you're on your own, what are you gonna do? Fill up insurance papers that don't exist? Amazing, you can do a very long /me of you filling non-existing papers all on your own, while interacting with nobody. I don't know about you, but to me at least, the point of RP is to have a multiplayer experience 😛 If I wanted to RP on my own, I'd write a novel instead. 

Now if there's someone else involved? Sure, RP filling the insurance paperwork. Gee. That's an entrancing interaction there... One of the scenes that will give a new turn to your character development :x I mean, I'm sorry to sound like a dick here, but again: the odds of any good RP spawning from those interactions are REALLY low.

And the problem is, the time spent into a boring scene will be time you can't use to engage in actually interesting RP that will actually lead to good character development. So... most people skip. They weigh the pros and cons, like everyone. The pros of RP'ing the crash are very, very few. The cons are many. 

Personally if someone wants to skip, I'm happy to. If someone wants to RP it, then sure - I did it a few times. And every time I felt like I just threw 40 minutes of my life to the trash because of how horribly dull the scene was x_x 

And given how easy it can be to have a minor crash (because as mentioned earlier, we're not driving RL cars), it would mean a hell of a lot of time thrown to the trash :x 

i can't imagine any valid response to this other than "well i like it and so should you"

that 40 minutes point towards the end really sums it up, not everyone plays for 5+ hours a day to have an hour free to lend for rp that is repetitive and doesn't advance anything for anyone, i agree that people should drive safer but there should be script-enforced consequences for speeders in a collision in that case

people conflate "good rp" with "it happens in real life so it must happen here" far too much

Edited by shaobadman
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Small crashes at a low speed (20mph and below) shouldn’t necessarily be roleplayed with serious injuries etc in my opinion because if you bump your car into a gate or fence then you’d just be like “shit, oh no!” Or whatever and check it over later. 

but if you’re going 80+ and spin out of control then absolutely I agree it should be rp’d accordingly, unless ofc it involves desync or lag because that happens

Edited by Gypsy

I always RP car crashes that involve other people.

What's funny is 80% of the time the other party gets extremely aggressive (regaudless of who's fault it is) and does not except exchanging insurance information as a valid outcome but DEMANDS payment of cash, 

• Wuhtah locked this topic