Official standing about IC population portrayal - Thoughts?

HeyMambo

Just now, The.Godfather said:

Its ironic how you openly vouch for the fact that you would love to Metagame and flout the server rules whilst lecturing others on "Quality Roleplay" in your previous posts! 
No Offense. Just saying what I see here. 

google the definition of sarcasm, u will then be able to read between the lines and see the whole point there

Just now, .Pluto. said:

google the definition of sarcasm, u will then be able to read between the lines and see the whole point there

Just did. Still couldn't find any sense in your argument. 
Again, if you read my previous posts, you'd know that I am not here to propagate any side or to be a keyboard-warrior sitting behind a screen. I just meant that if you really wanna make a point, just posting quality content instead of gratuitous rant would do good to all parties involved. 
Spread positivity and love! 
Bless! ❤️

• Upvote 2
Just now, Greyfeather said:

But if people no longer have to care about location of a crime, all of the forum topics telling us civilian RPers why we shouldn't own guns, why we should interact more with illgal RPers, why we should get out and walk around...well. Just stop making them.

This is is something that got twisted from the original change and blown way out of proportion. 

The location/time doesn't matter but the context does. People going out to the county from Davis and robbing people is still extremely frowned upon, the issue is people need to report the people who do it and the fact is, some of them might have the proper context to make it reasonable. 

Location and time were being used as a shield to protect places where it made sense to rob people. Me and my buddies could spend a hour scouting out Vespucci beach for the perfect chance of a robbery but regardless of any preplanning or recon we did a staff member could just slap us with "Um actually Vespucci beach would be full of hundreds of people that you can't see IG so this is bad RP". 

4 minutes ago, Henning said:

Where is any of this IG?

Usually in the form of more civilians obtaining CCW's and tolerating less provocation before escalating to defending themselves, shortly before ending up in the report section routinely for "nonfearRP", meanwhile criminals can mug someone within literal line of sight of a police station, and it's perfectly fine because "Criminals are allowed to make mistakes".

4 minutes ago, Itay_Waknine said:

I don't roleplay around Davis

Neither do I, but experience seems to be different from person to person. A big irony is that I'm trying to get a property IN Davis... 

3 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

how many times u actually participated in a drug deal in game?

Fifteen. My criminal character keeps a stash for bartering, but since his business is mostly being a sort of informant to help criminals with bypassing security, he doesn't use. Drugs make a sort of okay alternative to cash, but having the personal policy of not carrying a gun sort of makes resisting scams difficult. On one occasion I was shot because the other party insisted I was refusing to cooperate with handing over a gun that "every dealer should have". It was weird.

4 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

I'd like to keep playing my character who doesn't have a gun. I'll try to continue to do that because my character has no real motive or desire to own a gun. She deliberately moved her business out of Los Santos to the country to avoid the high crime rates.

Absolutely the same position on this. I've got experience with guns, tactics, the works, but using those skills in every roleplay environment can get stale, so I reasoned myself into having characters that would never touch guns. It's resulted in some complications, but it's also made the experience of GTAW very fun in a challenging sort of way.

It's a shame that most muggers go straight to murder for noncompliance...

Just now, The.Godfather said:

Spread positivity and love! 
Bless! ❤️

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Itay_Waknine said:

How come people are complaining about too much crime if I ain't experienced it yet. I feel like something's missing here. 

As I've said ad infinitum - affiliation with criminal entities for everyone who comes out of the woodwork to say "gee, it's never happened to me." As amusing as professional courtesy for scumbags would be as a concept, I liken the phenomenon more to the meta knowledge that you're more likely to retaliate. The robbery game is all about the meta, and the shrill voices you're hearing (reading?) is just another aspect of the meta.

Thread will get shut down, nothing will change, and ultimately that's their goal.

20 minutes ago, DLimit said:

People are just arguing to cut-down on the level of muggings and severe crimes, a bit, and maybe focus on other aspects of life that exist within a criminal being. There's more to being a criminal than to just commit crime.  

Hate to say you're wasting your virtual breath, but these are the people I mentioned earlier - people who come out of the woodwork using every excuse they possibly can to justify treating crime as a grind and utterly ignoring whether the server is better or worse for it.

Fortunately, they're not my target audience. Seems like people forget staff read these.

2 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

We should have known a man of such perfect grammar and spelling would bamboozle us with sarcasm.

Just now, Henning said:

Location and time were being used as a shield to protect places where it made sense to rob people. Me and my buddies could spend a hour scouting out Vespucci beach for the perfect chance of a robbery but regardless of any preplanning or recon we did a staff member could just slap us with "Um actually Vespucci beach would be full of hundreds of people that you can't see IG so this is bad RP".

If that's the standard we want, that's the standard. Now do trucking and vigilante shootings.

I don't care which standard we have as long as it's not a double standard.

If it's not bad RP to rob someone in the middle of an intersection in broad daylight, it's not bad RP to shoot that robber dead and leave the scene before someone shows up in a city with the aforementioned death rate. I'd be surprised if the PD was able to clear even 5% of the murder cases that come across their desk.

1 minute ago, DasFroggy said:

Usually in the form of more civilians obtaining CCW's and tolerating less provocation before escalating to defending themselves, shortly before ending up in the report section routinely for "nonfearRP", meanwhile criminals can mug someone within literal line of sight of a police station, and it's perfectly fine because "Criminals are allowed to make mistakes".

Yes, because a part of the population who has an issue with any form of crime at all would just choose murder over every other possible option for resolution. 

Why choose a realistic method for my character to find a solution to this problem when I can just get a CWW and body anybody who tries to subject me to their criminal RP.

3 minutes ago, Henning said:

Yes, because a part of the population who has an issue with any form of crime at all would just choose murder over every other possible option for resolution. 

Why choose a realistic method for my character to find a solution to this problem when I can just get a CWW and body anybody who tries to subject me to their criminal RP.

Why choose a realistic crime rate for the setting when criminals can just rob someone within literal line of sight of a police station?

I get where you're coming from, but this is the problem with letting realism sink in one area - it's going to go down elsewhere. In this case, your desire for the ability to rob people anywhere, comes with the consequence that now anyone can defend themselves without fear of criminal liability in just as much anywhere, because civilians are just as able to make stupid decisions as criminals.

Edited by DasFroggy
5 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

As I've said ad infinitum - affiliation with criminal entities for everyone who comes out of the woodwork to say "gee, it's never happened to me." As amusing as professional courtesy for scumbags would be as a concept, I liken the phenomenon more to the meta knowledge that you're more likely to retaliate. The robbery game is all about the meta, and the shrill voices you're hearing (reading?) is just another aspect of the meta.

Sure buddy every single illegal roleplayer metagames and that's why illegal players don't get robbed. Can you fucking hear yourself dude. Take your meds and get off the forums cause at this point you clearly ain't making any sense.

16 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Thread will get shut down, nothing will change, and ultimately that's their goal.

Hate to say you're wasting your virtual breath, but these are the people I mentioned earlier - people who come out of the woodwork using every excuse they possibly can to justify treating crime as a grind and utterly ignoring whether the server is better or worse for it.

Fortunately, they're not my target audience. Seems like people forget staff read these.

We should have known a man of such perfect grammar and spelling would bamboozle us with sarcasm.

If that's the standard we want, that's the standard. Now do trucking and vigilante shootings.

I don't care which standard we have as long as it's not a double standard.

If it's not bad RP to rob someone in the middle of an intersection in broad daylight, it's not bad RP to shoot that robber dead and leave the scene before someone shows up in a city with the aforementioned death rate. I'd be surprised if the PD was able to clear even 5% of the murder cases that come across their desk.

To address the first point, though, is the idea that criminal-minded people are more likely to be victims of crimes than legal entities simply because they are less likely to notify the police. Usually, lower-ranking members are targeted, specifically the ones that aren't legitimately members of a set/gang/mob etc... criminal affiliation is meaningless, as legal people have more resources towards capturing criminals. They have the whole L.S.P.D., L.S.S.D., and Park Rangers, with an arsenal of technology that's dedicated towards tracking and incriminating people, to support them. Mobsters? Gang-bangers? They can only patrol the area in 1-2 vehicles searching for any clues or hints of the robber.

I've been robbed, more frequently, on my illegal characters than my legal characters... yet, I haven't been robbed in months... kind of makes this whole argument invalid.

Edited by DLimit
1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Sure buddy every single illegal roleplayer metagames and that's why illegal players don't get robbed. Can you fucking hear yourself dude. Take your meds and get off the forums cause at this point you clearly ain't making any sense.

He never does. 

• Bospy locked this topic