Official standing about IC population portrayal - Thoughts?

HeyMambo

1 minute ago, Engelbert said:

I actually rp a free runner and urban explorer. I myself was suprised how many locations are out there I didn't know about before. I usually run around in Davis, which was kinda myth breaking the first time, cause I actually met people who didn't wanna rob or kill me at all.

Davis is traditionally where I bump into the people that are roleplay-focused, rather than crimegrinders itching for an easy script-win. It's weird.

That said, you're right, there's a LOT of places to go, and a lot of ladders that really need better approach-detection, because I can't begin to tell you how many times I've nearly fallen from a high up rooftop because of bad ladder design...

2 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Now, people can abuse this change by simply robbing people when the server's player count is low.

Or in my case, within line of sight of the Mission Row PD precinct. They didn't care, and said that it didn't matter unless someone actually saw them. Half a block of distance, got a nice new black eye because I brought up the location in /b and they claimed I was stalling both OOC and IC.

Like, damn dude, if you're in a hurry, pick a better spot maybe? It's opened up all manners of potential for low-quality crimegrinders.

3 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Davis is traditionally where I bump into the people that are roleplay-focused, rather than crimegrinders itching for an easy script-win. It's weird.

That said, you're right, there's a LOT of places to go, and a lot of ladders that really need better approach-detection, because I can't begin to tell you how many times I've nearly fallen from a high up rooftop because of bad ladder design...

Or in my case, within line of sight of the Mission Row PD precinct. They didn't care, and said that it didn't matter unless someone actually saw them. Half a block of distance, got a nice new black eye because I brought up the location in /b and they claimed I was stalling both OOC and IC.

Like, damn dude, if you're in a hurry, pick a better spot maybe? It's opened up all manners of potential for low-quality crimegrinders.

You have every Right to complain about that one, to be honest. I find those standards to be extremely low.

Edited by DLimit
7 minutes ago, DLimit said:

They should seriously revert that rule if they are seeking to maintain realism. Real-life robberies requires some form of challenge, which specifically revolves around being undetected when committing the crime. Now, people can abuse this change by simply robbing people when the server's player count is low.

EDIT: It's entertaining knowing that you have to lure a victim into an alley-way or remote area that's away from public sight.

this will actually prevent punishments "killing in a broad daylight" and that type of shit. it will also enforce people to roleplay, pd to investigate, robberies, murders, and whatever, instead of just handing out punishments. you got robbed, you think its poorly portrayed? you report, its as simple as that. cant be complicated. discussing it on a forum thread for 20+ pages wont help it actually, if people dont report. and no one reports, none of these stuff, so were all wasting time and words here.

5 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

this will actually prevent punishments "killing in a broad daylight" and that type of shit. it will also enforce people to roleplay, pd to investigate, robberies, murders, and whatever, instead of just handing out punishments. you got robbed, you think its poorly portrayed? you report, its as simple as that. cant be complicated. discussing it on a forum thread for 20+ pages wont help it actually, if people dont report. and no one reports, none of these stuff, so were all wasting time and words here.

The "broad daylight" argument isn't an issue, though. The "populated area", on the other hand, needs to remain. If you report a person for robbing a character with a firearm in Del Perro, a place that is heavily populated with tourists on a daily basis? The admin will close the report proclaiming that "the populated area argument has been withdrawn". 

You can't report these cases. 

EDIT: I play illegal, most of the time, and find this rule-change to be unrealistic. I am arguing that this "populated area" rule-change is unrealistic and kills immersion, even as an illegal player. It IS poor portrayal to pull out a firearm and rob someone at the Del Perro amusement park area... but, the admins don't deem it to be the case, any more.

Edited by DLimit
1 minute ago, DasFroggy said:

The crime problems can be solved with IC solutions, for sure. One of the easiest solutions is to simply have a gun and kill anyone that decides to draw a gun in a public space while concealing their identity, clear indicators of hostile intent.

If you want to avoid this, there are IC solutions that criminals can begin pursuing, more specifically finding and ensuring that the crimegrinders who are dragging down your reputation are made into examples, with no subtlety or hushing of the act. Make a spectacle of it, and violently rip apart anyone that does something stupid, otherwise the civilian population is going to resort to what you're willing to accept, in this case gun violence with minimal provocation.

Yikes.

This coming from the same person who expressed publicly that they would OOC asset transfer money to factions that let you come in and critique/change their RP to fit your standards is such a horrible take. I'm an adult, I discourage bad RP within my faction and the company I keep. I don't need to crucify somebody for being bad at roleplay and neither does anybody else. 

Most of us are pretty level headed adults, just because we aren't putting on a public flogging for the community every time somebody slips up doesn't mean people don't police their factions. 

12 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

otherwise the civilian population is going to resort to what you're willing to accept, in this case gun violence with minimal provocation.

You need to take a step back and chill the fuck out, a couple pages ago you were talking about heavy RP and realism and now your talking about taking up weirdo vigilante justice against criminals because of an OOC change in server policy. 

Just now, DLimit said:

The "broad daylight" argument isn't an issue, though. The "populated area", on the other hand, needs to remain. If you report a person for robbing a character with a firearm in Del Perro, a place that is heavily populated with tourists on a daily basis? The admin will close the report proclaiming that "the populated area argument has been withdrawn". 

You can't report these cases. 

thats the whole thing. i cant see no tourists my friend. no players around? its not a populated area. robbery on the other hand was portrayed poorly? you report it. you cant say that del perro is a populated area if theres no players around. it prevents many players from roleplaying then, because thats "a populated area". i mean, lets face it here, bunch of people here are wealthy, i dont even know why are they salty when they get robbed, pay 5k and move on. its all rp. 

5 minutes ago, Henning said:

Yikes.

You need to take a step back and chill the fuck out, a couple pages ago you were talking about heavy RP and realism and now your talking about taking up weirdo vigilante justice against criminals because of an OOC change in server policy. 

I'm all for the alternative of criminals easing their criminal activity.

Sadly, a dozen pages of repeatedly being told that this server is not about realism or heavy roleplay serves to suggest that my drive for realism isn't going to last long in the wake of criminals now freely committing crime anywhere they want, with no actual efforts to address their already extensive issues.

If you want realism, I'm ready to go, ready to resume every step that you prove you're willing to take. If you don't, here we are, exactly where you want us to be.

Edited by DasFroggy
1 minute ago, .Pluto. said:

thats the whole thing. i cant see no tourists my friend. no players around? its not a populated area. robbery on the other hand was portrayed poorly? you report it. you cant say that del perro is a populated area if theres no players around. it prevents many players from roleplaying then, because thats "a populated area". i mean, lets face it here, bunch of people here are wealthy, i dont even know why are they salty when they get robbed, pay 5k and move on. its all rp. 

It doesn't prevent people from roleplaying... it prevents people from conducting a poor portrayal of a robbery. Only an intoxicated fool would pull out a firearm at the Santa Monica Pier or Times Square, NY. We're just lowering our standards if we commit robberies at these areas that should be TREATED like it's heavily populated. It's Poor Roleplay Quality that's now permitted by the admins. You know what criminals do at the pier? They scam people and pick-pocket targets... they don't rob them. If they want to rob them? They lure them to a location that wouldn't be as populated... maybe BEHIND Out of Towners? Maybe under the pier? So many methods towards actually ENHANCING R.P. than to DECREASE R.P. by allowing people to commit robberies in ridiculous locations.

1 minute ago, DasFroggy said:

I'm all for the alternative of criminals easing their criminal activity.

Sadly, a dozen pages of repeatedly being told that this server is not about realism or heavy roleplay serves to suggest that my drive for realism isn't going to last long in the wake of criminals now freely committing crime anywhere they want, with no actual efforts to address their already extensive issues.

rp portrayed poorly, someone violated the rules? report. u cant lower the amounts of robberies cuz it would be too much of micromanagement, and no one wants to do it. thats why we have report sections, and RPQM reports.

1 minute ago, DLimit said:

It doesn't prevent people from roleplaying... it prevents people from conducting a poor portrayal of a robbery. Only an intoxicated fool would pull out a firearm at the Santa Monica Pier or Times Square, NY. We're just lowering our standards if we commit robberies at these areas that should be TREATED like it's heavily populated. It's Poor Roleplay Quality that's now permitted by the admins. You know what criminals do at the pier? They scam people and pick-pocket targets... they don't rob them. If they want to rob them? They lure them to a location that wouldn't be as populated... maybe BEHIND Out of Towners? Maybe under the pier? So many methods towards actually ENHANCING R.P. than to DECREASE R.P. by allowing people to commit robberies in ridiculous locations.

i highly doubt that u wouldnt mg me, trying to lure u to a parking lot under out of towners, cuz yall know oocly when r u getting robbed. it actually prevents u from roleplaying, if u cant understand it, ur problem. not in this particular case (robberies), im saying in general. what if PD starts investigating, who will be witnesses? ur NPC population around del perro? he he. no players = not populated.

• Bospy locked this topic