Do you prefer illegal or legal RP?

Vaper

I think illegal roleplay might take more planning especially if you want to portray something that you have very limited knowledge on. However, I think illegal roleplay can be more fun at times than law enforcement roleplay. The freedom and time you have to develop your character adds to the fun. Plus, the connections you make through roleplay make for a very fun experience and probably matter more.

Legal/Law enforcement roleplay can be lots of fun too. At times, it can even be easier to get involved in. However sometimes I feel like we run into a brick wall or we tend to come across the same roleplay over and over. It’s really not easy to develop your character after seeing multiple dead people on the daily, but I guess one could just roleplay that they’re used to it, which is actually realistic. However, in this style of roleplay, you’re more-so following a set of rules as you play; you’re following a seemingly never-ending list of policies and laws that are in place. The thing about illegal roleplay that feels like it gives a lot of freedom is not having to abide by that. They might have a couple of rules their gang or organization follows but that’s generally it.

• Upvote 1

I know little about illegal RP, so I can't say which I prefer? I don't have the excitement of shooting someone, selling drugs, getting into fights, tagging something, arguing with people, getting into car chases, robbing someone...

But I do have the time to maintain a consistent life routine, and from that foundation I can branch out into more creative things. Including developing my character's beliefs and spirituality.

23 minutes ago, Zani said:

I think illegal roleplay might take more planning especially if you want to portray something that you have very limited knowledge on.

I respectfully disagree with this. Researching, setting up, and running a legitimate business, employing staff, finding ways to keep your staff engaged, finding ways to keep yourself interested, finding ways to improve RP within and outside the business; I suspect this takes as much planning as most illegal things do.

• Upvote 1

Done my fair share of both on this server.

For illegal I have to favour organised crime. I miss the days of the EOC mega faction expansion, was probably the most fun I've ever had in the server. The more illegal RP I've done, the more I dislike gang-like rp as I feel it doesn't fit me.

Moving towards legal, I'm loving every aspect of SD right now and I have massive plans for the future of my characters development. Overall? I have no preference, whatever tickles my fancy at the time.

The gray area, most people do something that is considered "illegal" while remaining on the legal side pretty much. And I hate categorizing, it offers more opportunities to the people with the right mindset.

Edited by Wolfhound

Legal-ish roleplay or minor crime, at best. The pace of illegal RP is really accelerated for my taste, a lot of the time. All the RP in server is really fast-paced, but the added pressure of criminal RP makes that unpleasant for me in my experience. I'll probably try again, but I'd have to do things different in terms of my own character development and involvement. Things also have a tendency to escalate and get murdery way too fast for my liking, plus conflict generates a lot of OOC antagonism and toxicity. Most days, I just don't feel like dealing with it. That's not to say some of this doesn't apply to legal-ish RP too, but it's a matter of degree.

Edited by hillievonb

I respect illegal RP because the imagination and outside the box thinking that some people bring to it is great, but I personally generally would rather watch from the side with minor involvement.

Like others have said, my experience with illegal RP is that its too fast paced for me, whereas I love a bit of a snail's pace in RP and really taking my time to develop things.

On the other hand, I think that both sides have different shining moments. Illegals shine with brilliant group storylines, and I think legals shine with personal human stories.

• Wuhtah locked this topic