“Why did you shoot in broad daylight with a ton of cameras present?”

bonk

You’ve probably heard this argument day in and day out on this server from a wide array of people and platforms, whether that be on discord, player reports, discussions, etc. It’s tiring to hear this because to me it’s absolute nonsense.

Firstly, most people, especially before making the big decision to end somebodies life, are not going to do a full canvas sweep deeply ensuring their surroundings, understanding what is near them, and so on. If they’re in the state of mind where they are about to kill somebody, they are not thinking right. Why do administrators and other players believe that you need to do a deliberate sweep of your environment and in your mind before and after every murder. Furthermore, most gangbangers are not the smartest of people. If they were, they most of them wouldn’t be in that life, they would be out getting a PhD. 

You can just google “LA homicide” and see that homicides are unfortunately spiking back up in Los Angeles. I don’t doubt that quite a few of them happen at night, but a lot sure do happen at day too by sloppy people who then are caught by the police.

I really think that this is entirely an IC issue, but for whatever reason it is being taken OOC heavily by administrators, and players taking it as the truth. Finally, if your main goal is to come to this thread and call out/sneak diss a certain group, person, or faction, don’t bother. I want a civil discussion to happen. Thanks.

Edited by Blowin' Hollows
  • Upvote 21
  • Thanks 6
  • Applaud 1
  • bonk changed the title to “Why did you shoot in broad daylight with a ton of cameras present?”

I've still seen admins get mad at gang-banger characters for shooting in daylight, even despite masking up/blacking up and firing from a discrete position. 

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but it seems that OOC administrative action is being taken to prevent crime, rather than IC policing and roleplay. 

It always seems to be there is an OOC excuse as to why you can't do things, except when you are caught doing said things IC.

Edited by starbuck
  • Upvote 2

The main issue stems from some admins taking decisions based on what they (don't) know. Criminals aren't always logical people(specifically gang bangers who could be under the influence of various different drugs) and it's not a far fetched concept for gang bangers(especially young ones, despite the "you're just 16 y/o lol" argument that seems to plague this server as well) to shoot up blocks, even in front of CCTV. People need to realize most active members of gangs are young members. Old members sit back, relax, and teach the "young homies".

I’d imagine in gangland, attitudes there are far different about how much they care (or more likely don’t care), about being caught on CCTV compared to your average billionaire living in the hills with everything to lose if he’s intent on killing his cheating wife outside & in plain sight of thousands of people and cameras.

edit: It’s also perfectly valid for crimes to be committed in the heat of the moment when you’re not in the mind frame of avoiding detection - arguments and the like do happen.

That said, I think it’s also fair to say that there is arguably a problem when people portraying south central gangs get a bit bored oocly and go looking for a fight / killing spree in more expensive neighbourhoods - Yes I’m aware no-one actually supports this, but at the same time, this is where I see we need things like this in place.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
  • Upvote 1

First of all people murder each other over different reasons statistically in LS than in the real world (may it be LA or elsewhere).

For a start, the op states correctly that murders often happen in affect. Ingame, this is not so often the case, however- much more they are often planned (planning to gun someone down immediately over not yielding 5k is not "in the affect").

The meta-logic is not "Oh shit, what have I done" (even if many people will of course portrait that on the 'developement' after the deed before eventually progressing to ice cold killers), but much rather people looking for such chances (to create dramatic, unique character developement- okay sorry I stop).

24 minutes ago, Blowin' Hollows said:

but a lot sure do happen at day too by sloppy people who then are caught by the police.

Last but not least, often enough there is simply valid ic motivation to get rid of somebody (there's snitches everywhere after all).

In reality, many homiciders caught and convicted as mentioned are not your typical cliché dumb gangbanger, but also your average dumb blue collar dude murdering his wife over whatever.

Not to mention that "I'm not smart ic" is generally a dumb excuse (just portrait it! Works for me).

But yeah under the line, in rp a significant higher portion of murders actually gets planned upfront opposed to happen circumstancial (me driving up with 2 cars 4 high at your block is not circumstancial).

Hence why I think it's quite fair from staff to demand players to put a little effort and thought in such actions that also affect third parties.

7 minutes ago, RufioCas said:

Criminals aren't always logical people(specifically gang bangers who could be under the influence of various different drugs)

Look on the meta level, lol. You are trying to apply logic as player to justify any behaviour. Noticed something?

Edited by knppel

I hate watching this video, but it ticks all of the boxes that administrators argue against.

In daylight? Yes.

Cameras rolling? Yes.

Seemingly unprovoked? Yes. This proves, even when somebody is going to go and take the life of two law enforcement officers, they do not care about the time of day or if CCTV is in the area.

Edited by Blowin' Hollows
  • Upvote 1