“Why did you shoot in broad daylight with a ton of cameras present?”

bonk

Without having read through the entire thread I wanna mention one thing.

Sure there's no such thing as CCTVs that can catch the criminals like they'd do IRL but at the same time LS is way smaller compared to its IRL counterpart and with its current playerbase of around 500-700 people on average, it's fairly easy to catch up on criminals in other ways. For example, it's really difficult to shoot a gun once in south LS without having at least 10 cruisers and a helicopter chasing after you within a couple of seconds since there's basically police all over. I guess that makes up for the lack of CCTVs since criminals are caught pretty often by PD/SD in the middle of the act? You'd have to be really lucky to shoot a gun without catching their attention.

Bro I've been deadass waiting for this thread.

LET IC DICTATE IC CHOICES. IF YOU THINK IC DECISIONS SHOULD LEAD TO NEGATIVE OUTCOME THEN LET IC OUTCOME ITSELF DICTATE ITSELF. ALLOW PEOPLE TO PLAY, ROLEPLAY, AND DISCOVER VARIOUS OUTCOMES RATHER THAN GET SLAPPED BY YOUR PROJECTION OF REALITY.

That's my 10c. Glad to see everyone this thread agrees. Just because one admin doesn't think it is """"""""""""""realistic"""""""""""""""" doesn't mean that everyone should be stopped from doing it. If you think it's stupid, let the IC outcome dictate the stupidity.

1 minute ago, maramizo said:

Bro I've been deadass waiting for this thread.

LET IC DICTATE IC CHOICES. IF YOU THINK IC DECISIONS SHOULD LEAD TO NEGATIVE OUTCOME THEN LET IC OUTCOME ITSELF DICTATE ITSELF. ALLOW PEOPLE TO PLAY, ROLEPLAY, AND DISCOVER VARIOUS OUTCOMES RATHER THAN GET SLAPPED BY YOUR PROJECTION OF REALITY.

That's my 10c. Glad to see everyone this thread agrees. Just because one admin doesn't think it is """"""""""""""realistic"""""""""""""""" doesn't mean that everyone should be stopped from doing it. If you think it's stupid, let the IC outcome dictate the stupidity.

I understand and agree with what you're saying in theory, the problem is that there is no real infastructure to enforce IC consequences for these stupid actions. In real life a crime like that would have like 20 witnesses and CCTV footage; neither of these things are reasonable things to expect on this server both because we neither have CCTV or the huge pedestrian population that LA has that would realistically witness certain crimes performed in certain places.

I think a CCTV system should be implemented, at the very least. I'm not sure how you'd deal with witness statements; then again I don't think it could ever really be enforced on this server unless we had literally thousands of players online at a time.

I do however think that things should be dealt with a firm baseline (no more of the "up to admin discretion" nonsense) and on a case-to-case basis where the context of the particular crime in that moment matters more than if it was done in public "in broad daylight" because I mean let's be honest, we have members of the community who can't save themselves to log in at 3AM just to commit a crime. Some people are bound to certain timezones.

8 minutes ago, AlphaBatal said:

yeah i too want stop and frisk policies but neither of those would happen in this present day and age irl; and thus, as much as we seek an ic response, would be impossible on the simple basis that the crimerate and the mindset of the people tackling it differ greatly. one side does what they can get away with, the other seeks to fully emulate an irl department without being able to enforce the law as effectively

I think this server’s insistence on emulating RL can be taken to extremes. A over bearing police state IRL in 2020 is unrealistic. But in OUR reality of Los Santos? 100% believable. At some point we, as a server community, need to embrace that the city has been molded through years of Roleplay and while it might not fit an IRL narrative, it certainly fits the narrative and lore that we’ve created. 

La Cosa Nostra IRL Los Angeles? Not really a thing. LCN in Los Santos? After 3 years of Roleplay and having it expand and build upon the community? It’s believable because we created it. The same sentiment would go for a police department that over extends their authority for the sake of safer streets. Crime goes up so the police get heavier handed. Makes perfect sense to me. Trying to limit the police authority in Los Santos because that’s not how things are in 2020 Los Angeles just limits Roleplay for everyone. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, sio said:

I understand and agree with what you're saying in theory, the problem is that there is no real infastructure to enforce IC consequences for these stupid actions. In real life a crime like that would have like 20 witnesses and CCTV footage; neither of these things are reasonable things to expect on this server both because we neither have CCTV or the huge pedestrian population that LA has that would realistically witness certain crimes performed in certain places.

I think a CCTV system should be implemented, at the very least. I'm not sure how you'd deal with witness statements; then again I don't think it could ever really be enforced on this server unless we had literally thousands of players online at a time.

I do however think that things should be dealt with a firm baseline (no more of the "up to admin discretion" nonsense) and on a case-to-case basis where the context of the particular crime in that moment matters more than if it was done in public "in broad daylight" because I mean let's be honest, we have members of the community who can't save themselves to log in at 3AM just to commit a crime. Some people are bound to certain timezones.

bro if there's no one there, there's no one there. if you get shot up at a place with no witnesses, then none of the NPCs saw what happened. if there is CCTV then the player is required to hand over logs. but for the most part there are very little CCTVs in place, so no, 9 times out of 10 no CCTV would even catch anything and the 1 out of 10, the player is required to hand over logs, evidence or describe the situation.

having administrators step into your own roleplay and dictate what is "realistic" is farcical imo. people get shot in broad daylight all the time. in front of CCTVs. either by identifiable individuals that aren't masked that may even still elude cops, or by masked individuals that may be recognized for a plethora of other forensic evidence.

in fact, some members don't even log in unless if it's morning time ig. does that mean these people are immune to being shot? that's it, guess these guys should never get touched?

people act as if in game time dictates the sort of rp you can get. it's nonsense. in fact, people are less active morning time than they are at night time. lmfao. do you understand what this means? this means that you can't rob people at night because you're highly likely to be spotted, and you can't rob people at morning because it's """"""""""unrealistic"""""""""".

6 minutes ago, sio said:

Whilst further clarification in the rules can't hurt I'm going to say quite bluntly; No, it has to have admin discretion as not every situation is equal, what would be allowed in one situation might not be in another. I can confidently tell you that much is not going to change.

1 minute ago, maramizo said:

and the 1 out of 10, the player is required to hand over logs, evidence or describe the situation.

In my experience this has been the opposite, the person caught on CCTV has refused to cooperate with CCTV and we've had to go with the bare minimum.

1 minute ago, Moonsong said:

Whilst further clarification in the rules can't hurt I'm going to say quite bluntly; No, it has to have admin discretion as not every situation is equal, what would be allowed in one situation might not be in another. I can confidently tell you that much is not going to change.

Yes, but this implies that someone's judgement is always infalliable even though that is not how human being's work. Administrators are wrong sometimes, and the only way to counter that is through a staff report - which in itself can be an overreaction in some cases. But that runs the risk of going off topic, so I'll drop it.

4 minutes ago, Westen said:

In my experience this has been the opposite, the person caught on CCTV has refused to cooperate with CCTV and we've had to go with the bare minimum.

I have role played a detective in SD for months now, never have I seen somebody uncompliant in role playing CCTV... That's odd.

• Upvote 1