What is your opinion/thoughts on illegal RP

Spartan

I wasn't sure how to word myself after a but without coming off as rude, but it's late so that can go out of the window.

I do mostly think that a lot of issues stem from OOC behaviour rather than script limitations, however I come from a background of MUD's and glorified text chats, no matter how you dress it up it's always the same. So to me I can't really see the scripts as an large issue, more of a hindrance. 

I think the server would be boring as fuck without the spread of players. With no 'legal' characters it'd just be pursuit and without 'Illegal' characters it'd just be logging on to act out a very boring, borderline dystopian version of current life. I'm honestly kind of impressed that this thread hasn't been twisted by certain people into the usual shitslinging it does even when it isn't called for.

The problem with Illegal sided things is it does lead to conflict and aggression and is inherently driven to fuck people over and win in some way or another and in turn needs moderating otherwise things can start to spiral. Such as an endless gang war of people being ventilated for a week or two cause someone tagged a corner.

8 minutes ago, Thrasherman said:

Without Illegal RP you wouldn't have the server, how are civilians suppose to get their illicit goods? 

This got posted as I was writing this up and honestly it sums up my main wariness about the lack of compromise. "Without Legal RP you wouldn't have the server, it would just be a pursuit game mode."

In all honesty, I can only speak for myself, but a life of a criminal is mostly the same as life of any other person, just that criminals do their criminal stuff, but not every day. Not a single criminal wants to get up everyday and have a brawl or rob someone or sell drugs like that. Actually such activities or not even done everyday and gangsters mostly just hang out at their fav spots. Besides, each robbery added to one's account only increases risk of being caught. Cause in this age, you think people are still afraid? No they are not. 

Edited by Engelbert
23 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

In all honesty, I can only speak for myself, but a life of a criminal is mostly the same as life of any other person, just that criminals do their criminal stuff, but not every day. Not a single criminal wants to get up everyday and have a brawl or rob someone or sell drugs like that. Actually such activities or not even done everyday and gangsters mostly just hang out at their fav spots. Besides, each robbery added to one's account only increases risk of being caught. Cause in this age, you think people are still afraid? No they are not. 

I think the biggest difference between criminal roleplayers is motive. Do you commit x crime because you think it’s fun? Or do you commit crime because your character has a genuine reason to do so? I’d argue that the worst roleplay in the illegal sphere typically comes from characters that are being lead by the motives of the player controlling said character. A problem occurs with roleplay when you cannot logically answer the question why your character is doing something without lying or fabricating. 

3 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I think the biggest difference between criminal roleplayers is motive. Do you commit x crime because you think it’s fun? Or do you commit crime because your character has a genuine reason to do so? I’d argue that the worst roleplay in the illegal sphere typically comes from characters that are being lead by the motives of the player controlling said character. A problem occurs with roleplay when you cannot logically answer the question why your character is doing something without lying or fabricating. 

Exactly what I had in mind 🙂

4 hours ago, borhoi said:

99.9% of the times I deal with it, it is badly done and stale. Mobsters acting like it's the 1950s. Nazis in such huge numbers that it could never even be hoped to be realistic given statistical representation. EVERY. SINGLE. NEIGHBORHOOD. BEING. A. "HOOD"

I can't speak for Mobsters, but 'Nazis' aren't a thing IC. They're skinheads/neo nazi's, that's an entire different thing and there's alot of skinheads/neo nazi's in LA. 

And almost every neighborhood in LA, even West LA has gangs and could be considered 'hoods' by all means, so I'm not sure what ur referring to.

I used to be a legal RPer, I made a illegal character about a year ago to get acquainted with the Korean mob that was at that point up in coming in the Little Seoul area. Since then, I've moved onto gang RP - I can't say I'd go back. It's fun. There's always something to do, and despite what people think it's not all stickups and DMing.

1 hour ago, Garras Up said:

I can't speak for Mobsters, but 'Nazis' aren't a thing IC. They're skinheads/neo nazi's, that's an entire different thing and there's alot of skinheads/neo nazi's in LA.

This is such a lame and old played out thing to say. Nazis is being used as a catch-all term. And there are not a lot to the point of them controlling entire areas of a town to the point that you are pestered by them for the pure sin of existing. I've made my opinion of 'heh heh nazi rp XDXD' known many times and I have yet to see one Nazi group done even kind of well. It's stale and dumb and MASSIVELY overrepresented. Far, far far too many of them and it drags down the server as a whole being unable to go anywhere without seeing swastikas. If you think it's that common irl, you should go to LA.

3 minutes ago, borhoi said:

This is such a lame and old played out thing to say. Nazis is being used as a catch-all term. And there are not a lot to the point of them controlling entire areas of a town to the point that you are pestered by them for the pure sin of existing. I've made my opinion of 'heh heh nazi rp XDXD' known many times and I have yet to see one Nazi group done even kind of well. It's stale and dumb and MASSIVELY overrepresented. Far, far far too many of them and it drags down the server as a whole being unable to go anywhere without seeing swastikas. If you think it's that common irl, you should go to LA.

It's more than common in LA bro, and what do you mean it's over-represented, there's two so called 'nazi' factions and they dont even rp nazis. Your opinion is very misguided and mainly a result of your own personal feelings, in reality these 'nazis' aren't actual nazi's, they're white supremacists/neo nazi's. It may be a 'old played out' thing to say, but that doesn't make it any less true. The whole 'nazism' thing is merely a recruitment mechanism and has nothing to do with the way the actual gangs operate. If you took your time to have a look at the White Car for example instead of just bashing white supremacist roleplay and claiming that it 'drags the server down' somehow, you'd see that the roleplay is much more than simply being racist.

Just because you feel a certain type of way about something, doesn't mean people can't rp it lol.

Edited by Garras Up
9 minutes ago, borhoi said:

I mean the “you should go to LA” argument is moot because you can find anything anywhere in LA if you really want to. And there are people who roleplay believable skinheads, but you absolutely have a point. There are plenty of “skinheads” are just edgy goofballs who hardly have a genuine character setup and terrible roleplay. But in all honesty, any roleplay theme has those people. PD and SD have bad cops, there are bad civilians and so forth. It’s just not fair to paint everything and everyone with the same brush. There are genuine skinheads, otherwise they wouldn’t be a thing because I know for a fact administrators are proactive when it comes to looking at groups, unofficial or official. 

13 minutes ago, Garras Up said:

It's more than common in LA bro, and what do you mean it's over-represented, there's two so called 'nazi' factions and they dont even rp nazis. Your opinion is very misguided and mainly a result of your own personal feelings, in reality these 'nazis' aren't actual nazi's, they're white supremacists/neo nazi's. It may be a 'old played out' thing to say, but that doesn't make it any less true. The whole 'nazism' thing is merely a recruitment mechanism and has nothing to do with the way the actual gangs operate. If you took your time to have a look at the White Car for example instead of just bashing white supremacist roleplay and claiming that it 'drags the server down' somehow, you'd see that the roleplay is much more than simply being racist.

Just because you feel a certain type of way about something, doesn't mean people can't rp it lol.

lol i never fail to laugh at the 'WE'RE NOT NAZIS WE'RE WHITE SUPREMACISTS WHO USE TONS OF NAZI IMAGERY' thing. The RP is trash. Read the threads of all the lovely groups who have come and gone. And it's massively over-represented. You see them everywhere. In real LA, which I've been to many times for many reasons, I've yet to see one neo-Nazi, or 'white supremacist', or 'peckerwood', or whatever the name of the day is for Nazis.

• Wuhtah locked this topic