What is your opinion/thoughts on illegal RP

Spartan

I'm not bothering reading through 19 pages, sorry, just my own thoughts;

Illegal RP is a necessary RP style within any community. Without illegal RP in an RP community, would lead to a dead community. I personally think the majority of Illegal RP'ers do really great jobs on the server. Sure, we might see more "punishments" statistically goto Illegal RP'ers (those in gangs and such), but that is also because they are running a lot more of a risky business, then per say legal RP'ers. Shootings, fights, riots, all these types of aggressive and dangerous types of RP can be weighed in so many different ways, when per say like a traffic stop, can really only be RP'ed one way, and then a character style. 

What should be improved? I think people in general should take more accountability in what they do and as-well, how they do things. People tend to forget we by Continuity Standards now, a massive City. Saying we only have seven hundred people in the State of San Andreas is ridiculous, and I've heard it before.. where people will literally say "Oh there's only five hundred people online, so that's all I have to RP" - Or since the City Streets are empty, it means that you can do anything you want. 

As an administrator my eyes have opened to illegal RP.. as just an LSPD Officer, a normal community member, I saw it as a bunch of run and gun DM, nothing more, nothing less. However, when becoming an administrator I actually see the differences.. and the only thing that can really standout in my opinion is the accountability of knowing what type of place you are, what is happening, what could be happening and what should be happening. With the new addition to the rules, including looting and where robberies should be happening, I think we are seeing a decrease in the problem that mainly stands out to me (personally.. i'm not speaking for anyone else or the admin team.. just me.. Pillsbury). I've had forum reports before where I ruled on this; Realistically we *are* a City of 1000's and 1000's.. you shouldn't be shooting up someone on the middle of San Andreas Ave, or any main roads that realistically are heavily populated, especially during the daytime. I see far to many shootings where the only "RP" of scouting is done, is making sure no cops are in the area.. other then that? They get out and blaze someone to pieces in the middle of somewhere.. where you would never really see a shooting..

Let me expand a bit on this and actually get my real thoughts out;

You shouldn't be opening fire on someone just because you don't see a cop in the area... you shouldn't be lighting downrage hundred of rounds outside of a Club on West Eclipse Boulevard.. people fail to see sometimes that.. if this was happening in real life? Everyday? Constantly? Our world would be a much different place, especially in a City like Los Santos. Now sure, some Clubs do have shootings, we see it in real life, especially ones controlled by Gangs.. I can agree to that.. but if your just out trying to get the hit off someone's head for the reward? People tend to forget the standards that should be set.

My second opinion (once again.. this is just Pillsbury saying his own thoughts, not representing the admin team) ,

Escalation is extreme on the server. You get into a small fist fight and next thing you know a CK war is going on. Now, I know that was a bit dramatic - but i've seen it plenty before as an administrator. Most of actual Gang Land RP that happens here, happens in what would be like.. a ten mile block.. Which is crazy, so I get why so much escalation happens -- but there tends to be never a stop. There is never a day where just.. silence happens? I don't think anyone wants that, but the reason for so many shootings -- and what the reason behind them sometimes are just.. so bland and not really needed... I've seen it from, this guy called me a bad name, to this guy and me fought, he looked at me funny to I beat him up in public -- I've seen a lot of this as an admin.. and that's where I think some escalation standards can be set differently. Even just casually looking through forum reports, as a normal player, you can tell the intensity of Gang RP by the amount of shooting reports and quote "Mass DM" reports that come up. And half of the time? Honestly? Some gang's don't even know why they are shooting at eachother.. just because they were told to, they do it. That's something that is almost constantly seen.

tldr;

I like the illegal RP community a lot, and I think a lot of the problems or recurring problems we see, is shootings that shouldn't be happening in certain places or in general at all, and secondly, escalation standards higher then going to a Warzone.. 

secondly tldr;

This is just my opinion once again.. I'm not speaking for the administrative team as a whole, just my own thoughts on it. Nor did I read the 19 pages before posting this, so other things might of been covered previously, who knows. But i'm responding to the OP in the sense.

Edited by Pillsbury
  • Upvote 6
32 minutes ago, Itay_Waknine said:

It's easy for people to sit here and talk about how legal roleplay has a come long way, but we have to remember that legal roleplay gets way more support from the admin team, and LFM. Peter Conti was booted out of his faction over someone approaching him and being corrupt, and his character was ousted out IG. The dude who approached him was let back in GOV, and he eventually got his leadership position back. It all just doesn't seem fair. The server is so quick to punish illegal roleplayers, and no one wants to help them out. 

A character that's been kicking around for 2 years got fucked over because he was approached by a corrupt politician.

This is definitely worth mentioning. I know there was a commitment made to focus this year on illegal rp in terms of development etc but we really haven't seen much.

Illegal rpers are more or less out on their own trying to make things work.

7 minutes ago, Large Hazard said:

This is definitely worth mentioning. I know there was a commitment made to focus this year on illegal rp in terms of development etc but we really haven't seen much.

Illegal rpers are more or less out on their own trying to make things work.

For one, most of the people in IFM aren't even illegal roleplayers. Joining IFM shouldn't be exclusive to just admins, and I think there should be a section on the forums somewhere where it can be seen by the whole community, but only a select few people can comment on it. They can discuss things and hopefully set the standard for illegal factions on the server. 

IFM is so understaffed, I think this will help them get through all the suggestions that people have on the server. The people should who are allowed to post on that forum should either be handpicked by IFM, or they can apply to join it. All faction leaders should also have a chance to voice their opinion and set the standard. 

The faction lore on the server is highly off, and most people don't even acknowledge each other. Someone should set an overall standard so illegal roleplayers know what they are getting into before making a faction. 

Edited by Itay_Waknine

I know LSRP's FM became a lot better and more in tune with the community when it switched over from an admin body to being made up of prominent illegal roleplayers. We had a lot of fruitful discussions in there and pretty much every section of the illegal community was represented in some way. I've been advocating for such a change since I got here.

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, Large Hazard said:

I know LSRP's FM became a lot better and more in tune with the community when it switched over from an admin body to being made up of prominent illegal roleplayers. We had a lot of fruitful discussions in there and pretty much every section of the illegal community was represented in some way. I've been advocating for such a change since I got here.

I have no more reacts but this, this is what is needed honestly. I never understood why somebody who doesn't engage in that sort of RP or their main focus isn't that RP is assigned with determining where that RP goes in the future.

1 hour ago, Itay_Waknine said:

For one, most of the people in IFM aren't even illegal roleplayers. Joining IFM shouldn't be exclusive to just admins, and I think there should be a section on the forums somewhere where it can be seen by the whole community, but only a select few people can comment on it. They can discuss things and hopefully set the standard for illegal factions on the server. 

IFM is so understaffed, I think this will help them get through all the suggestions that people have on the server. The people should who are allowed to post on that forum should either be handpicked by IFM, or they can apply to join it. All faction leaders should also have a chance to voice their opinion and set the standard. 

The faction lore on the server is highly off, and most people don't even acknowledge each other. Someone should set an overall standard so illegal roleplayers know what they are getting into before making a faction. 

Personally, IFM is actually doing a good job right now of maintaining continuity  and setting standards within the illegal community.
Everything you spoke on is already in place. IFM has a council of illegal roleplayers that they consult with when it comes to suggestions. Nervous also spoke publicly and said that we can possibly expect more staff to be added to the IFM team.

Back on topic,

I’ll have to agree with @Pillsbury. Escalation and personal accountability within the illegal community are definitely a work in progress but I believe the illegal community is in a much better place right now then it was a few months back. The management team have been doing a great job recently with providing illegal roleplayers with an open line of communication and things are looking up for us Illegal RPers.

8 hours ago, TyJ said:

Personally, IFM is actually doing a good job right now of maintaining continuity  and setting standards within the illegal community.
Everything you spoke on is already in place. IFM has a council of illegal roleplayers that they consult with when it comes to suggestions. Nervous also spoke publicly and said that we can possibly expect more staff to be added to the IFM team.

Back on topic,

I’ll have to agree with @Pillsbury. Escalation and personal accountability within the illegal community are definitely a work in progress but I believe the illegal community is in a much better place right now then it was a few months back. The management team have been doing a great job recently with providing illegal roleplayers with an open line of communication and things are looking up for us Illegal RPers.

A lot of people from the illegal scene do still feel under represented though. Nervous does look at suggestions a lot on some Discord, and he also addresses certain issues. I do feel like IFM is still very much under staff, and that ain't they're fault. There's just too many faction on the server for them to be on top of everything.

In terms of escalation, that's another thing where IFM should be setting the standard on.

I feel like members of the illegal community should be included in LFM. And the contrary; members of the legal community in the IFM. Discussion is healthy and having people with contrary views on how things should be done is vital, critique opens up the doors which leads to change for the better. 

That's to say; neither team should be staffed by just people from the aforementioned subcommunity; that leads to favoritism behind the scenes.

Apart from that, crack down on OOC dealing. It's a widespread problem that many legal roleplayers don't know the raw size of; whole armories are bartered, sold and swindled on a regular basis. Cars full of weapons, be they pilfered PF guns or some supplier's stash, under the noses of staff and through OOC channels. Characters that haven't a developed relationship and have no business dealing with one-another deal, new illegal factions often search and participate in said deals and it serves to establish them further. No matter how much you deny it, I'm certain that you can count the factions that haven't dealt OOCly on one hand, and even that's far-fetched.

Possibly add a system to prevent that? Be it script or a tightening of rules, something more creative? Investigate cases of factions rapidly growing their arsenals within a day or two?

Maybe if things didn't escalate towards murder all the time, guns wouldn't be in such high demand? Maybe if factions did it as a last resort (as they should), they wouldn't lose firearms to PKs and would be reducing the demand for such weapons, and thus the price? Food for thought...

On 2/22/2021 at 5:26 AM, AlphaBatal said:

Apart from that, crack down on OOC dealing. It's a widespread problem that many legal roleplayers don't know the raw size of; whole armories are bartered, sold and swindled on a regular basis. Cars full of weapons, be they pilfered PF guns or some supplier's stash, under the noses of staff and through OOC channels. Characters that haven't a developed relationship and have no business dealing with one-another deal, new illegal factions often search and participate in said deals and it serves to establish them further. No matter how much you deny it, I'm certain that you can count the factions that haven't dealt OOCly on one hand, and even that's far-fetched.

On 2/16/2021 at 9:02 PM, PaNYT said:

Alright, tittle says it all what is your opinion/thoughts  on illegal RP how can it be fixed/revamped and all of that. Lets keep it civil.
Personally when I started playing on GTA World I started as a Legal Roleplayer afterwards I stopped and tried for the first time illegal RP. It has gotten to a point where the drugs are fucked since there is very big supply and very low demand, guns are extremely overpriced and many more examples. Basically I want to read your opinions doesn't matter if you are a Legal or an Illegal RPer.

[Edit] And how do you think it could be improved? 

It's crazy to me that you can't just make any faction with a group of friends. I heard a lot of people saying their illegal faction got denied. I come from servers where you can make any faction you can think of and the -players- judge if it's good or bad, rather than the admins.

I only tried starting a legal faction so far and that also wasn't fun, the economy doesn't work at all even though the GTAW staff seems to think it does.
unknown.png

• Wuhtah locked this topic