Defining good roleplay

Phased
Message added by effion,

Please ensure you're having a civil discussion otherwise forum punishments will be issued. Don't post to troll, flame or derail the topic.

I'm of the opinion that you should be RPing your job even if no one's around to see it, but that's just opinion. As for the script argument, I don't think a script should replace the need for RP, it should facilitate it.

If people get upset at you for not writing long enough /me's for their preference, so what? Another player's opinion of how long your /me should be shouldn't matter to you. If they think your /me length speaks to your quality as a roleplayer they're probably not someone you want to associate with anyway.

Imo /mes should provide enough context and content for someone to make a meaningful response if they want to. Writing shortform when there's nothing out of the ordinary to what you're doing is great. Writing longer lines if your character is for example noticeably shaky, angry, upset or w/e is also great. 

Ask me how long a /me needs to be and I'll ask you how long a rope needs to be. Long enough to fit its purpose.

I agree with you 100%. There's no reason at all to be giving exhaustive details of mundane tasks in RP unless those mundane tasks are performed in a distinct way that gives off the impression of a certain mood or behaviour. It isn't good RP to always do a /me. It's good RP to do a /me when it displays characteristics or clearly showcases an action that those around you can see. There's nothing worse than seeing a 30 word /me full of big terminology for the simple action of lighting a cigarette. Especially when they don't actually role play lighting a cigarette any different to how the average person does. Good authors don't give you a paragraph on how someone lights up a cigarette unless the way they light the cigarette is intriguing, unique or out of the ordinary. 

While good RP is considered subjective, there's still an outline of what makes RP good.

- Clearly explaining actions for those around you to understand

- Not mixing in your personal opinions within a /me

- Showing behaviour patterns in a /me rather than telling behaviour patterns in a /me (arguably the most difficult thing to do)

- Avoiding the use of filler to make it seem like your 5 word action deserved 3 lines of a chatlog

I had the same experience as you but with a trucking organization. I was called a lazy RPer for what they considered low effort /me's. You can only describe how to pick up a crate in so many ways before it drives you insane. 

Edited by Topiyo

Being a good RPer is being able to take into account the current setting and improvising accordingly. I think a good RPer following that mindset can accomplish anything on this server. The only thing that should restrict them is what they can develop IC. I think far to often people spend too much time planning and developing their character on paper. They get a singular idea of how or what their character should/will develop into and when anything on the server threatens it, they either give up or lash out OOCly. You've got to be capable of and be willing to accept improvising if your going to be good at RP. Things like the length or detail of your /me's are helpful but at the end of the day simply aesthetics.  

I personally don't like long /me's. I get bored halfway through reading them, and I don't think having long /me's define someone's roleplay at all. As long as it hits the point, then that's it for me. 

Emotes only make up like 20 percent of a person's roleplay abilities. Their characters, and development should play a key factor before judging someone's roleplay, so I don't think we should be judging short /mes. 

The main gripe I have with overly long /me's is the fact that it stalls role play.

I want role play to have a good flow to it, if you're a slow typer and your /me's are novel-like then I will simply lose interest in the role play and fall out of the immersive state I am in during the scenario. The whole point of role play is to take you into a whole other world where you feel immersed in that world. I don't want to be in the London England during my role play, I want to be in Los Santos, USA. Shorter /me's help with that, both with the amount of time it takes to type it but also the amount of time it takes to read and understand what you're trying to dictate your character is doing in their /me's.

Additionally (and also a little away from the main threads point), you can have amazing /me's, portray your character as a fruitful individual, but if your mindset is whack then in my opinion you're not a great role player. You need to have a good mindset towards role play. LEO role players OOC goals shouldn't be to catch criminals, likewise, criminal role players OOC goals shouldn't be to make as much money as they can and cause pure pandemonium to the city they reside in. There's a few more examples but I'll leave it at that to keep it as short as possible.

Edited by Blowin' Hollows
  • Wuhtah locked this topic