Defining good roleplay

Phased
Message added by effion,

Please ensure you're having a civil discussion otherwise forum punishments will be issued. Don't post to troll, flame or derail the topic.

Everybody has different standards of what they consider to be good roleplay, at the end of the day as long as people are following the rules, what I consider to be the server's 'standard', there isn't much more that can be done. Some people may find 'criminal' roleplay reprehensible and stupid, whereas others consider the rich young sportscar club-goer scene to be the same, it comes down to the player's roleplay philosophy; what they're on the server to do, why they do it, and how they see themselves/their circle.

Roleplay is infinite, there are endless opportunities, decisions to be made, paths to follow, etc. therefore; you can never truly define 'good roleplay', you can make the argument that character development should be prioritized, and I'd agree with you; but hundreds of other players could care less, they just want to hop onto the server, have fun with their friends at a club, and fuck around. This is something that will never change, that being said you don't need to underestimate these players, they may have great potential and can be influenced to changeup their gameplay.

Edited by UTOPIA
2 minutes ago, Syke said:

Then why do we have truckers getting told off for doing two /me's to load a truck, or mechanics under the impression they will lose their garages if they don't type long enough /me's?   Every impression given by server staff in game is longer is better, and it's needed to "not abuse" the scriptwise job.

I always felt this as well. I half understand the mechanic side of things. If you've done the mechanic job before at a shop, you'd understand it's a glorified money printer. But at the same time if I'm in a back room where nobody else can see the roleplay I'm doing, does it really hurt anyone?

Just now, Juicebox. said:

I always felt this as well. I half understand the mechanic side of things. If you've done the mechanic job before at a shop, you'd understand it's a glorified money printer. But at the same time if I'm in a back room where nobody else can see the roleplay I'm doing, does it really hurt anyone?

At the same time, reducing mechanic payments in a garage makes a lot more sense than forcing them off to write a novel which only another mechanic is gonna see instead of mechanics getting to interact more.    

Why can't you use both examples?

When you want to create immersion, use the former.

When you want to advance a trivial situation faster, use the latter.

If I'm trying to describe my character battling through a gunshot injury by crawling on the floor and bleeding his guts out on the floor, I won't use

/me crawls to the couch

/me gets on the couch

/me bleeds on the couch.

That just looks stupid. I'll take my time to describe my character's struggle as that would create the most immersion for myself and others. 

But then if I want to rp sipping my coffee, I'll just do 

/me sips his coffee

as opposed to /me lifts the cup toward his lips, clamping them onto the rim of the cup, tilting the coffee mug.............................

that's equally ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Syke said:

At the same time, reducing mechanic payments in a garage makes a lot more sense than forcing them off to write a novel which only another mechanic is gonna see instead of mechanics getting to interact more.    

Yeah but then how is this done? Is this some insane LS tax on mechanics? Does the extra cash dissapear? Their payment is based on what the customer purchases, and I don't think reducing the prices @ the shop is the way to go lol. Regardless I do not want to delve too far off topic.

1 minute ago, Syke said:

Quality over quantity.

/me installs engine. 

That alone should be self-explanatory.

1 minute ago, TritonXVII said:

Why can't you use both examples?

When you want to create immersion, use the former.

When you want to advance a trivial situation faster, use the latter.

If I'm trying to describe my character battling through a gunshot injury by crawling on the floor and bleeding his guts out on the floor, I won't use

/me crawls to the couch

/me gets on the couch

/me bleeds on the couch.

That just looks stupid. I'll take my time to describe my character's struggle as that would create the most immersion for myself and others. 

But then if I want to rp sipping my coffee, I'll just do 

/me sips his coffee

as opposed to /me lifts the cup toward his lips, clamping them onto the rim of the cup, tilting the coffee mug.............................

that's equally ridiculous.

I 100% am in agreement with this, but time and time again I've seen people get upset that I don't roleplay 3 lines for drinking my coffee or smoking a cigar/cigarette 😢 because immersion

Just now, Juicebox. said:

Yeah but then how is this done? Is this some insane LS tax on mechanics? Does the extra cash dissapear? Their payment is based on what the customer purchases, and I don't think reducing the prices @ the shop is the way to go lol. Regardless I do not want to delve too far off topic.

Increase component cost for upgrades - cost a garage more for each part, commission naturally lowers to cover costs.

1 minute ago, Selena said:

Quality over quantity.

/me installs engine. 

That alone should be self-explanatory.

That's not the impression that's given to these mechanics - the impression is you need to write 200 character sentences or it's low effort.    My character didn't get a job as a mechanic because I wrote literally 40 short /me's while trying to talk to the hiring manager, because the person who ran the leased garage is under the impression the /me's need to be long.

• Wuhtah locked this topic