Are niche characters considered bad?

ChickenOffSky

1 minute ago, Deuce said:

Guess you roleplay a gang banger who has a new character every other week then.

As a matter of fact I've held on to my character for more than a year now, and no, he's not a gang banger.

I also don't understand the being defensive & toxic part. I wasn't trying to bash anyone but merely try and teach some role playing fundamentals.

I'm all in for different characters that go beyond gang banger #192311 and so forth. Like I said though, there's a thin line between being unique and interesting, and being a troublesome snowflake.

Nobody should ever just say "your roleplay is bad" I think criticizing other peoples roleplay is good If its constructive criticism. If you just pm somebody with "your rp is bad" you are more of an issue to this community than the other person. Tell them HOW they can improve on a roleplay in a respectful manner. 

At the end of the day this is a roleplay COMMUNITY. Nobody should be saying things and treating people like they are below them instead we should ALL work together to improve each others roleplay as that is what's best for the server overall. If you care about GTA World you'd speak to one another with class respect and dignity and appreciate peoples roleplay and help them improve wherever possible. Weve all been that one guy who's had lackluster roleplay dont be the one that tears them down but builds them up.

Edited by Juicebox.
  • Upvote 1

I feel like a lot of people in this community are quick to judge types of roleplay that they don't do or don't understand. For example, a cop or legal player thinking all gang RPers are DMers or a gang RPer thinking all legal characters are mallrat PF warriors. But really what it boils down to is people thinking every character has to fall in line with a certain category. A lot of people think that anyone that isn't RPing a cop, club hopper, biker, or gangbanger is some kind of troll for doing a different and niche kind of roleplay. I get why some people could view a deranged homeless character as a "troll" but it's realistic and adds to the immersion of the server. If you go to any major city and walk the streets of it you're going to find all kinds of people. As Juicebox said, it's better to try to give advice and constructive criticism rather than just saying "your roleplay is shit and a drain on the server". I applaud everyone doing an original character concept on this server.

• Upvote 2

Niche characters can be great but most overdo the stereotype. Sometimes it gets to the point they're more of a sitcom character than a human. Not to say it shouldn't be done at all. 

Personally I don't care at all, roleplay what you wanna roleplay. Don't go and ruin other people's experience.

Edited by Woona

best characters are usually the niche ones/alts because they have nothing to lose, wont play to win, will usually buy drugs / actually spend money on services since they dont care about their money, ect. Wheras 90% of peoples mains are always stingy and wont buy anything unless its a house or car they can resell.

I mean, I personally love roleplaying rather special characters, that have their obvious quirks and specialities, but are deep down still human and realistic. I never had anyone come up to me and say I am a "bad roleplayer" for having a niche idea of a character concept or portrayal. Only things I have gotten for that is either feedback or generally compliments.

Maybe it's because I never use ped skins, but ngl, I personally really like ped skins, if they are executed well and integrated into the character concept.

Honestly, as a sole "LEO RPer", having niche characters around on the server is what helps our roleplay strive. It's here, in my experience, where I get the most satisfactory roleplay from as it's always different when you pull up, and it makes banter and further conversation for us after we've wrapped up the call. Most of the time I'm laughing my ass off behind the screen while trying to roleplay a serious cop in these scenarios and it makes it enjoyable. That being said, it definitely needs to be roleplayed correctly and not just for a "joke character".

Everyone has to juggle that balance between making your character genuinely interesting while simultaneously not roleplaying a 1-in-10 million species of rare being whose personality, dialogue and traits are so off the wall that it just isn't believable. A lot of people struggle with that too, which is why it can sometimes feel like you're roleplaying in a room of stereotypes rather than real people. Maybe it comes down to different ideas about what roleplay should be, of which everyone is entitled to their own.

Admin's here, for the most part, have a narrow minded perspective when it comes to non conventional forms of roleplay. Instead of simply accepting it and moving forward, letting the situations flow naturally, they become judgemental and ignorant, in my opinion. So long as you are not breaking rules, such as DM, MG etc., then the traditionalistic aspect of your character should be irrelevant. Some people try to put forward genuinely bizarre and unique characters and are punished for it, and treated with dismay. I believe that this is because the admin team are constantly on edge and paranoid, looking for rulebreakers. This means that they sometime see a rule being broken in a situation when really, no rules are being broken. This isn't really their fault though. It is inevitable and is like a reflex. The admin's have a bias towards how they view situations. This should be acknowledged by the admin's in order for them to control it, they must first become aware of it. 

I think people should be able to roleplay whatever they want, as long as they are actually roleplaying with good intentions OOC. The bizarreness or stupidity of what they might be doing should then be irrelevant.

Just my opinion as a community member.