Deaf player(s) and LEO Factions - The existing problem

Thekillergreece

5 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

That's insulting. I did not make this thread to "anger the community" or what you are trying to say. The story is crystal clear;

I asked the PD AND SD leaders if I can join their faction as Police Officer / Deputy Sheriff (not support nor custody staff). They said no because I'm deaf as can be seen in the screenshots I provided.

If I am twisting the story, the leaders can post their proof of their side here then.

I made this thread to give a real story to the community on what's REALLY going on behind the scenes, stuff the community does not know. Now the community knows and is upset because they agree with me and not PD/SD leader's response towards to handicapped / deaf players.

Also, sorry but I wish to join the regular position in PD/SD and that's Police Officer / Deputy Sheriff. I always liked those roles and always applied for them in any RP community I joined.

You were allowed to join the faction as a Deputy Sheriff, you are able to climb the ranks and become a Captain in our faction. I think this is maybe not clear enough so I'll adjust the topic that you linked and make it more clearer for anyone else.

Nevertheless, I still invite you to hit me up on Discord so we can go over this again and see what possibilities we have to offer, other than the rest that I pointed out. 

I would like to point out that I am not choosing any camp or any side. I've already mentioned that people have joined our faction with disabilities and insecurities who have came out great and are established people in our faction.

Calling me out for having 0 humanity when you don't know any specifics or don't even read what has been posted is just disappointing. 

Edited by Tseard
  • Applaud 1

@Tseardis correct.

While I understand your feeling, it's not going to work out.

Patorl Officers are required to use teamspeak for communication of pursuits and/or callouts that you can't type. If you can't do that, then unfortunately, you could perhaps find something else like LSPDFR. Or you can hope that it would be changed in the future.

Making this thread just lights up the community for no reasons. I'm sorry for your disability, but you have to accept it.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Entity said:

I will also go ahead and criticise the intention of this topic. There's different ways to express your opinion but I think that the best bet is taking it up with LFM or the staff team, not having a topic that incites people to start bashing on faction leaderships.

They did all that. This is a text based RP server. How much exactly are LEO factions using VOIP communication if it is integral to the RP? I get pursuits. They might not be the most helpful. But that's it? Is it going to harm anyone elses RP? 

1 minute ago, Government Leaks said:

And...? Gaming is not something you must do in life. There's always an alternative.

This is incredibly insensitive. 

Many disabled people use roleplay to achieve normality that they cannot achieve in real life. It's an important mental health tool that they can use to put aside their difficulties and feel a sense of normality. 

When I was bed-ridden for a year, GTA was my crutch and the only thing that made me feel human and gave me social interaction.

just because YOU don't value it that way doesn't mean that many others don't. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • nateX locked this topic

Now, I agree that all players should have equal possibilities while playing on the server, and as Selena already explained, she tried to reach that. I appreciate that you bring up a concern and the amount of support is great, however, please stop quoting people and literally bashing them. I completely understand that you disagree with them, but making such comments as ''Stop replying, I'm going to puke'' and stuff alike will be removed, because they're not contributing to the discussion whatsoever. Any further bashing will be punished accordingly.

A player from SD reached out to the author of the topic with an offer to help, you can discuss everything there. People are also free to express their concerns and opinions, but again, leave the toxic attitude out. This is not kindergarten, stop acting like you're in one. If you got nothing to add to the conversation - don't comment.

• nateX unlocked this topic

As someone who works with people with severe disabilities IRL, I find this quite sad.

Now, I understand why LEO factions might have their own systems so ingrained and interiorized that something like this has happened, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed to see that in a hobby about escapism and in which you create a character that you aren't IRL, someone's disability (which mind you, does not impede them for text-related RP) does not even grant them the opportunity to play the same police officer as everyone else.

Cases like these are exceptional, and in my humble opinion exceptional measures should be taken. I have seen comments about how in the past people have lied about disabilities to avoid the need for a microphone, but honestly, I find it a tad humilliating that people would still doubt a person that has gone to staff to justify himself about his disability (which he can't control).

If I were in your position, I'd give @thekillergreece an opportunity in full capacity as an LEO as his passion and will to engage in the RP is evident. Support him through his challenges with additional measures and with other communication alternatives and I'm sure you will have with you a very dedicated player. Also, it's a massive opportunity for the Department to take a look at how inclusive their systems are of people with disabilities.