Deaf player(s) and LEO Factions - The existing problem

Thekillergreece

23 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

As I mentioned above, I did approach two LEGAL Faction Management members (Selena and Truffle) but they couldn't do much.
ECFYo0R.png

EmNMFth.png

I believe that everyone should have the same opportunity but when I was faction handler of PD neither faction leaders wanted to cater the request. I never understood why. I had an entire topic about it in the FM boards that I was planning on working on so this can happen.

I’ve seen many servers do this and let all people in. I wish I could’ve done more for you.

• Upvote 4

As one of the person that has replied to you about this matter, I can totally understand why you feel this way. 

As you have linked yourself, we have a topic explaining what is possible for people in your situation. Custody is something people can join at all times, you do not even have to use a microphone or use Teamspeak for that. If you wish to join without, that is completely fine and as explained on the topic you are able to rank up in the faction into our command team.  

We've allowed people in our faction with speech disabilities, we've allowed people in our faction who are insecure about using Teamspeak and we're always open to discuss the possibilities that we have. 

You were allowed to join our department as a Deputy Sheriff and do all custody related work (parole, visitation, patrol around the facility, transportation, work details, etc) 

I do doubt the intention of this topic, as you can see already, it has only brought up anger to the community while the entire story is not clear to them. I would appreciated it this was handled in a different way. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Tseard said:

You were allowed to join our department as a Deputy Sheriff and do all custody related work (parole, visitation, patrol around the facility, transportation, work details, etc) 

I do doubt the intention of this topic, as you can see already, it has only brought up anger to the community while the entire story is not clear to them. I would appreciated it this was handled in a different way. 

But that's BS though, why should he only be allowed to do some tasks, and not others because he has a real life disability? 

You'd appreciate if this was handled in the way not anything being discussed at all? This guy being swept to the side, as usual?

• Upvote 1

It’s roleplay.

This person should be allowed to roleplay a LEO despite his IRL limitations. To restrict this person, or any person this way from roleplaying a character is against the very basic principles of roleplay.

This benefits no one, and it is to no one’s enjoyment that these rules are established.

Just now, cracked said:

But that's BS though, why should he only be allowed to do some tasks, and not others because he has a real life disability? 

You'd appreciate if this was handled in the way not anything being discussed at all? This guy being swept to the side, as usual?

No one was swept to the side, as you can read back and as you can see in the reply given, he was still allowed to join our faction as any other regular member of the department and be able to participate in one of the most vitals parts of our faction with all of the possibilities they offer.

Anyways, I invite TheKillerGreece to hit me up in Discord later this afternoon to discuss the possibilities. It has been awhile since the latest conversation.

Fucked up. Dude already has to deal with this irl. With this being one of the only games in the world that’s text based and that they should be fully equal, and then they’re limited because of their irl disabilities. I think this reveals the real character of the LEO faction leaders and their inability to adjust to something so simple. And this also shows the inability of legal FM to represent a player who has provided solutions to a problem.

6 minutes ago, Tseard said:

And what else should this topic bring than anger? I didn't plan on commenting, because I am pissed. But now when I saw this I really have to comment. No one is bashing a faction, we're giving you some criticism. Dude, he is deaf, do you understand that? This is a game. The only thing he wants to Roleplay is PD/SD. Can you put yourself in his skin, and think about how this shit feels? The whole community would appreciate if you guys handled his application in a different way. HE IS DEAF. He is able to type, to use /r command. He is able to speak, he just can't hear. Why not allowing him to do all kinds of Roleplay, but setting up a simple rule, can't be part of pursuits unless he has a partner, unless he is a passenger in a cruiser. This is TEXT BASED ROLEPLAY SERVER, and only factions who are able to use voice are you guys, PD/SD, and you really want to make arguments like you made on your previous post? No hard feelings, but you have 0 humanity in you, you want to ruin someone's immersion about the game BECAUSE HE IS DEAF. You all should really think about your words, opinions, and actions regarding this guy.

@thekillergreece Buddy, take this to Nervous. We are all fully supporting you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2
10 minutes ago, Tseard said:

That's insulting. I did not make this thread to "anger the community" or what you are trying to say. The story is crystal clear;

I asked the PD AND SD leaders if I can join their faction as Police Officer / Deputy Sheriff (not support nor custody staff). They said no because I'm deaf as can be seen in the screenshots I provided.

If I am twisting the story, the leaders can post their proof of their side here then.

I made this thread to give a real story to the community on what's REALLY going on behind the scenes, stuff the community does not know. Now the community knows and is upset because they agree with me and not PD/SD leader's response towards to handicapped / deaf players.

Also, sorry but I wish to join the regular position in PD/SD and that's Police Officer / Deputy Sheriff. I always liked those roles and always applied for them in any RP community I joined.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I will also go ahead and criticise the intention of this topic. There's different ways to express your opinion but I think that the best bet is taking it up with LFM or the staff team, not having a topic that incites people to start bashing on faction leaderships.

There should be a system in place in order to facilitate access to the faction(s) for people who are in similar situations to yours. That, however, has to be done in an orderly fashion and it has to follow some rules and regulations. Until such system is put in place, I think that giving no-microphone permissions away can and will result in major effects on both LEO factions. I've seen that with LSPD on LS-RP - when the concept of no-mic permissions was first implemented, there was a huge spike in people suddenly having disabilities or serious reasons for why they can not use microphones - I personally know of two of such cases which were, in fact, not true (said people just did not want to use microphones or did not know the English language well enough to do so properly).

Communication is vital to LEO role-play. It's not about having an unfair advantage, it's about having a realistic advantage. Like it or not, police departments have an advantage over most criminals, that's the point of them. It's unreasonable to expect someone to, when you start shooting at them, start thinking of and typing a radio transmission on the IC chat when, in real life, they would just use the radio station literally hanging inches away from their mouth.

I do empathyze with your case and I am very sorry that people have to experience disabilities - it's a pity, it is sad and I am sure that it is hard. We have to be realistic however and, to put it roughly, you need people who can properly communicate in a place where communication is key. If it were your decision, would you hire a blind person as a pilot? Or a mute person as a sports commentator? It's not feasible, but it's not discrimination. It's not fair but that's the way it is. I myself wanted to be a pilot, in real life. I don't have good enough vision and I can't (ever) go for such a job.

Really, the best thing to do in this situation is to find middle ground - in this case, it comes in the form of positions within these factions that do not require a microphone. It's not ideal but it's more than nothing.

I am not speaking on behalf of any faction, this is my personal opinion.

• Notbond locked this topic
  • nateX unlocked this topic