Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

I came here expecting to read that 5.56 is high velocity white privilege and now I'm disappointed.

You can look at statistics all day long but it won't give you anything.  This is the same gripe people who want to be extremely realistic and live with their head in guides and stories and articles r.e. west coast/LA life get when the server doesn't exactly portray west coast culture at all despite a few factions holding their members to that standard.  One of this game's biggest dynamic next to freeroam driving is shooting, so people will obviously experience that dynamic to the max.

That being said?  Just role-play a character.  If your character wants to carry a gun or not, then they should carry or not. End of story.

1 hour ago, Vincent said:

Another thing that should be considered. On this server guns aren't the issues, the players are. Most people who you try to describe in your original post regarding unrealistic factions that last a "couple weeks" and commit crimes/shootings/etc. @DasFroggymakes a great point, that being "kill them all" mentality.

I wish people on GTA:W would focus on the psychological effects of snuffing a person out. Now, I know some people in real life are cold heartless killers who are real as fuck, but, not everyone is a killer. I'd prefer less lethal fighting / melee combat, obviously, sync is a big issue and I respect why people use guns, since it's a surefire way to handle something. Beef on GTA:W would be an amazingly fun and dynamic if sync is eventually fixed. I'm currently in two different wars and both escalated to gun combat rather quickly, one justified, one not.  

If you kill countless people, let alone one person, there is trauma of your actions soon-after that adrenaline is gone. Some people feel hollow and empty, some vomit and hyperventilate, some use substances to numb the pain or distractions to get their mind off the murders. But, it's up to the person how their character is portrayed, and it's solely up to them to play it off realistically. I've personally never been in the legal scene, but I imagine copping a gun for self defense, social events, or shooting ranges sounds perfectly fine and should be encouraged, especially with illegal rpers going around robbing people, myself included. It should be fair playing ground for legal and illegal, but both sides have issues with portrayal of murder and the frequency of murdering. If I had a choice on GTA:W to not shoot someone in a conflict, I would and I have countless times in the past.

Well said.

Feels like i’m playing Brazil RP. Any time i’ve been robbed its on a public, main road sidewalk. Never in secluded areas. So I think I will keep my gun, yes! And roleplaying a constant fear of criminals robbing me in broad daylight and on main roads, and will continue to carry my legal weapon everywhere, because there is nowhere but admin approved areas you cannot get robbed. Ridiculous that criminals don’t have to RP any fear when robbing. Oh see a victim standing alone in the road? GET HER get the money get the gun! But what about fear of being seen? Passing people? Cars? Police? Why not lure someone to an alley and or secluded area? Nah just pull up on a bike real quick and up your TEC with a mask on. But if I shoot someone RUNNING up to me full sprint with a weapon out and mask on I’d be jailed for DM, even though its clear what someone in a mask with a gun is going to do to me. Yikes! 

Edited by ayame
  • Upvote 2
22 hours ago, TritonXVII said:

I don't think this is very accurate.

Bullets travel nowhere near the speed of light.

That just seems a little disconnected from reality to me. My good friends used to own Pita Heaven in Chicago. After the wife got robbed carrying ~5-10k in cash right outside the restaurant, she immediately enrolled into a gun safety course and applied for FOID and conceal carry license.

According to THIS about 1/10 residents of Illinois own a firearms license (FOID). Why does a trucker that just got robbed acquiring a firearm seem unreasonable to you? Also what do you mean "having a firearm is more serious than you think"? Do you own one irl? It's literally a hobby for a huge amount of people.

Irrelevant. Also there's this huge misconception that truckers are somehow lower class people when in reality they make bank almost anywhere in the world.

I swear most people on GTA:W think civilians are mentally retarded.

You can learn how to shoot a gun on stationary targets in an hour. You can learn how to dismantle a gun and put it back together in ~2 hours easily. You can learn tactical shooting in a week (not SWAT level, obviously, but hitting targets while moving is really NOT that difficult, even my 65 year old manager at work does tactical shooting courses).

This just seems very disconnected from reality man... I don't think this came from actual first hand experience around firearms, firearm licensing and shooting.

I fully agree with ya' on all points, only time I seen a 65y/o guy fail at a gun range was due to his hands shaking too much. Otherwise it's quite feasible to learn and train not to SWAT levels or higher, but be proficient enough to handle a gun. There are numerous videos that OP can find on YouTube showing footage of a Licensed Concealed Carry costumer(s) fend off thieves who attempted to rob with a gun the place of business said costumer was in. That's just a COSTUMER, not the owner either. We portray Los Angles, California, USA (Los Santos, San Andreas, US), which means most US laws apply here same for California state laws as well. Legally if you are of age and do not have any misdemeanor / felony charges you can own a licensed gun, for home or concealed carry.

Regarding truckers being poor, give me a break, they are making serious money.

Edited by Vash Baldeus

This seems like a snuffed Joe Biden campaign ad!

In all seriousness, this game is vastly different than IRL as you claimed, therefore the reason for people needing to carry increases a lot. The amount that cargo drivers get robbed on here vs irl is ridiculous. IRL if truck drivers got robbed nearly as much as they do on GTAW you best believe the owner would find a way to protect his cargo, even if that means firearms. 

Even though you went on talking about how unrealistic it is for everyone to be getting guns and working with guns, you failed to mention how unrealistic it is you get robbed as often as you can and in the most unrealistic of areas sometimes too. I think for a culture change to happen it would be required from both parties, otherwise civilians are just reacting to the amount of crime on the server. 

I don't see why people complain about civilians owning guns at all. The setting is in America. My character originally wasn't supposed to get guns but in his lifetime, he has only been robbed twice and due to the influence of certain people, he decided to get himself a PF and CCW and ever since? He hasn't been robbed in a great while and while that still stands which proves to him that the deterrent indeed works, the presence of danger makes him flee rather than stick around and find out. Why? He's not a seasoned veteran or a cold blooded killer. He's AFRAID of having to use said gun one day, no matter who the perpetrator is to protect himself and or his friends. It's also no secret about the "PF bangers" being present, wanting to use their guns desperately or something and of course, nobody really likes them, but I don't see how that stops others from getting guns to defend themselves? It honestly boils down to people being able to roleplay civilians properly instead of Terminators without feelings. LS has a high crime rate after all, why wouldn't people be getting guns to defend themselves?

Edited by Wolfhound

This has previously been mentioned, but I think it’s entirely realistic to own a gun in los santos. A lot of people on the server like to compare it to its irl equivalent LA, but in no way are the two the same. The crime and murder rate would be so boosted in this city if it was recorded it would be crazy. 

13 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

I fully agree with ya' on all points, only time I seen a 65y/o guy fail at a gun range was due to his hands shaking too much. Otherwise it's quite feasible to learn and train not to SWAT levels or higher, but be proficient enough to handle a gun. There are numerous videos that OP can find on YouTube showing footage of a Licensed Concealed Carry costumer(s) fend off thieves who attempted to rob with a gun the place of business said costumer was in. That's just a COSTUMER, not the owner either. We portray Los Angles, California, USA (Los Santos, San Andreas, US), which means most US laws apply here same for California state laws as well. Legally if you are of age and do not have any misdemeanor / felony charges you can own a licensed gun, for home or concealed carry.

Regarding truckers being poor, give me a break, they are making serious money.

I don't know why but when people say "truckers are poor, they work paycheck to paycheck, they can't afford a sports car" I just fucking sigh. I know three truckers in the US, ALL working locally (they don't even touch an interstate), one owns an M3 series bmw, the other one owns a fucking corvette and the other one just bought his own house at 25...

I refuse to own a gun because I know that the way I play the game I'm never going to use it because I will always try to RP and emote my way through things to their last possible conclusion. By the time a gun has to be drawn I'll be in the middle of typing a paragraph emote because that's just how dumb I am.

Also, surprisingly enough to some, if you don't do silly stuff you can survive in gang territory without a weapon. It's not easy, but you can, if you are a local. Desmond Brown has never even touched a real gun.

• Wuhtah locked this topic