Blaine County & It's portrayal (?)

marbella mondays

There's a consistent pattern here about the thread where comments about the way people talk in character. I don't understand how the people in this thread that bash county roleplay can justify it because of some accents. My character, a Georgian born woman will occasionally drop a few letters in a word to highlight a certain dialect that can only really be interpreted in text. What exactly is the problem with that?

What I've realised is that there's a divide in the server in three categories:

There's South Central, which is on a totally different planet to the rest of the server and might as well be a Team Deathmatch between hispanics, African Americans and Asians. Drugs, guns, whatever people can get their hands on. 

There's Los Santos as a whole, which is from Strawberry to Richman which is full of either LSPD roleplayers, legal characters such as guardsmen, bartenders, clubbers, the night life. Not to mention the occasional illegal crime families up there that control certain districts of the city.

And then there's Blaine and the outlying areas. Motorcycle clubs, Farmers, The Sheriff's Department, County Crime Families that control certain trades such as gunrunning, narcotics and vehicle scrapping.

We've had it countless times especially within the faction that I'm in, South Central players making their way up to Sandy Shores to try and rob, steal and harass the country roleplayers (Which usually either results in them going to prison or getting an unmarked grave) and that's fair enough. 

My point is, the generalisation of Blaine and its outlying areas by calling us hicks, picking on our character's for developing accents are the same people who play in South Central, "Treyson DeLiving DeStacks DeMontre Tray Parker Johnson" do not have a leg to stand on in this matter when they've quite clearly made a character to play Call of Duty: Black (Gang Warfare) Ops 3.

The sort of character who will shoot at the cops for a traffic infringement, the types of characters that will rush cops with bats, knives and wrenches so they avoid jail time. 

Let people do what they want. If you're gonna come at us Blaine County roleplayers with baseless arguments and "Yer and Yew" statements about the way certain players interpret a character accent, then I do not know what to tell you.

Nobody besides the staff have the right to dictate what others can roleplay, how they portray their character and what location to interact in. If you can't get behind that, maybe that's more a 'Yew' problem than it is a 'We' problem. 

Edited by Akali
  • Upvote 13
  • Applaud 2
4 minutes ago, Akali said:

My point is, the generalisation of Blaine and its outlying areas by calling us hicks, picking on our character's for developing accents are the same people who play in South Central, "Treyson DeLiving DeStacks DeMontre Tray Parker Johnson" do not have a leg to stand on in this matter when they've quite clearly made a character to play Call of Duty: Black Gang Warfare Ops 3.

Nobody besides the staff have the right to dictate what others can roleplay, how they portray their character and what location to interact in. If you can't get behind that, maybe that's more a 'You' problem than it is a 'We' problem. 

Hard agree. Missed a serious opportunity to just call it 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' and letting that joke write itself, though, so -2 points. 🙂

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Akali said:

There's a consistent pattern here about the thread where comments about the way people talk in character. I don't understand how the people in this thread that bash county roleplay can justify it because of some accents. My character, a Georgian born woman will occasionally drop a few letters in a word to highlight a certain dialect that can only really be interpreted in text. What exactly is the problem with that?

There's South Central, which is on a totally different planet to the rest of the server and might as well be a Team Deathmatch between hispanics, African Americans and Asians. Drugs, guns, whatever people can get their hands on. 

There's Los Santos as a whole, which is from Strawberry to Richman which is full of either LSPD roleplayers, legal characters such as guardsmen, bartenders, clubbers, the night life. Not to mention the occasional illegal crime families up there that control certain districts of the city.

And then there's Blaine and the outlying areas. Motorcycle clubs, Farmers, The Sheriff's Department, County Crime Families that control certain trades such as gunrunning, narcotics and vehicle scrapping.

We've had it countless times especially within the faction that I'm in, South Central players making their way up to Sandy Shores to try and rob, steal and harass the country roleplayers (Which usually either results in them going to prison or getting an unmarked grave) and that's fair enough. 

My point is, the generalisation of Blaine and its outlying areas by calling us hicks, picking on our character's for developing accents are the same people who play in South Central, "Treyson DeLiving DeStacks DeMontre Tray Parker Johnson" do not have a leg to stand on in this matter when they've quite clearly made a character to play Call of Duty: Black Gang Warfare Ops 3.

The sort of character who will shoot at the cops for a traffic infringement, the types of characters that will rush cops with bats, knives and wrenches so they avoid jail time. 

Let people do what they want. If you're gonna come at us Blaine County roleplayers with baseless arguments and "Yer and Yew" statements about the way certain players interpret a character accent, then I do not know what to tell you.

Nobody besides the staff have the right to dictate what others can roleplay, how they portray their character and what location to interact in. If you can't get behind that, maybe that's more a 'You' problem than it is a 'We' problem. 

As I've posted previously, this attitude is unfortunate to see. Just because there are other faulty areas on the server doesn't mean there shouldn't be room for amendment and improvement. Your logic's implying that just because other areas roleplay poorly it's OK for groups in Blaine County to reflect that. The community's striving for progress, it's gotta start somewhere. I'm not exactly sure why certain people are getting defensive and emotional when the entire idea behind the topic is to help bring these poor hick-like attitudes to light. There have been many solid points throughout the thread regarding the matter, to imply that the argument's baseless is a lack of awareness and being in denial.

Edited by Gall
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Gall said:

As I've posted previously, this attitude is unfortunate to see. Just because there are other faulty areas on the server doesn't mean there shouldn't be room for amendment and improvement. Your logic's implying that just because other areas roleplay poorly it's OK for groups in Blaine County to reflect that. The community's striving for progress, it's gotta start somewhere. I'm not exactly sure why certain people are getting defensive and emotional when the entire idea behind the topic is to help bring these poor hick-like attitudes to light. There have been many solid points throughout the thread regarding the matter, to imply that the argument's baseless is a lack of awareness and denial.

So because our characters are saying 'Yew' and 'Yer' that implies that we're roleplaying poorly? Just following on with your logic because alas, I don't see a thread being made about the overall lack of roleplay in South Central, but as soon as one person has a problem with it, a thread is made where players of Blaine County are immediately critiqued for their style of roleplay. 

Like any community or section of the server, there are bad eggs in each basket - but tarring us all with the same brush helps nobody. 

20 minutes ago, Akali said:

My point is, the generalisation of Blaine and its outlying areas by calling us hicks, picking on our character's for developing accents are the same people who play in South Central, "Treyson DeLiving DeStacks DeMontre Tray Parker Johnson" do not have a leg to stand on in this matter when they've quite clearly made a character to play Call of Duty: Black (Gang Warfare) Ops 3.

Nobody besides the staff have the right to dictate what others can roleplay, how they portray their character and what location to interact in. If you can't get behind that, maybe that's more a 'Yew' problem than it is a 'We' problem. 

Why would your character immigrate from Georgia to the poorest region of the state? 

You have no idea what you're talking about. Just three categories of roleplay? And you're saying that people like me are over-generalizing your sphere of roleplay? What about the MC's in the city? What about the EOCs? What about the Wood and Skin gangs? How are you generalizing something like the wah-ching as the same as Sureno gangs? A little wacky doodle doo if you ask me. 

Many of the people criticizing and generalizing you are people who have lived in the Blaine County area, and found its RP to be, not realistic. Quite frankly, your statement goes both ways. And your generalization of arrests, from the people who I know who have commented on this thread in crictism of roleplay such as yours, haven't done such things. 

Quite frankly, this is a yew problem. I live in rural bumfuck Montana. I've never once in my fucking life heard someone unironically pronounce you as yew. The area of California that Blaine County is supposed to resemble does not have a high portion of Southern and Appalachian Rednecks that moved there for the promise of a better future. Believe it or not, the rural southerners who are typecasted typically wouldn't ever move to San Andreas, and if they did, they likely would have done so to go to a major city, not the trailer parks. 

1 minute ago, Ted said:

Why would your character immigrate from Georgia to the poorest region of the state? 

You have no idea what you're talking about. Just three categories of roleplay? And you're saying that people like me are over-generalizing your sphere of roleplay? What about the MC's in the city? What about the EOCs? What about the Wood and Skin gangs? How are you generalizing something like the wah-ching as the same as Sureno gangs? A little wacky doodle doo if you ask me. 

Many of the people criticizing and generalizing you are people who have lived in the Blaine County area, and found its RP to be, not realistic. Quite frankly, your statement goes both ways. And your generalization of arrests, from the people who I know who have commented on this thread in crictism of roleplay such as yours, haven't done such things. 

Quite frankly, this is a yew problem. I live in rural bumfuck Montana. I've never once in my fucking life heard someone unironically pronounce you as yew. The area of California that Blaine County is supposed to resemble does not have a high portion of Southern and Appalachian Rednecks that moved there for the promise of a better future. Believe it or not, the rural southerners who are typecasted typically wouldn't ever move to San Andreas, and if they did, they likely would have done so to go to a major city, not the trailer parks. 

I think now you finally realised that when I generalised three characteristics of the server, that was the perfect example of what 'Yew' are doing. 🙂

On 12/14/2020 at 6:50 PM, DLimit said:

Here's Desert Shores, which is based on Sandy Shores: 

That's not Desert Shores, California, that's Desert Shores, Las Vegas.  Just wanted to correct you on that.

If we were to portray Blaine County correctly players would have to understand the background of South California.

Sandy Shores would be more of a hippy town with art projects, a horrible stench, and a body of water that wouldn't be accessible at all, but why? Sandy Shores is based off of two locations in California, Desert Shores and Bombay Beach; both of these towns being affected by the Salton Sea. The issue with the Salton Sea in very basic terms is California fucked up and caused the Salton Sea to basically be the drop off for farm lands (which include pesticides, banned chemicals, and tasty toxic things). I'm not going to go in-depth with the census of both Desert Shores and Bombay Beach, but it's safe to say racism wouldn't be as prevalent as some people portray it as. 

I believe I can go on about this, pointing out each location in San Andreas and comparing it to California. My opinion so far is that people need to start doing research on the spots they want to settle in. It's utterly poor portrayal to believe in Rockstar's image of Sandy Shores and surrounding areas. While I do understand how hard it would be to do research since all the locations in San Andreas are highly diverse I honestly recommend to anyone to do so. It's much more unique than being a country bumpkin that decided to move to Sandy Shores because it's just like home.

Edited by Woona
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Akali said:

So because our characters are saying 'Yew' and 'Yer' that implies that we're roleplaying poorly? Just following on with your logic because alas, I don't see a thread being made about the overall lack of roleplay in South Central, but as soon as one person has a problem with it, a thread is made where players of Blaine County are immediately critiqued for their style of roleplay. 

Like any community or section of the server, there are bad eggs in each basket - but tarring us all with the same brush helps nobody. 

I think it's been noted several times that this isn't a broad generalization by different people. Refer to the screenshot below, for example.

image.thumb.png.b6b58002b50b75b247e1684b20acf6b4.png

This isn't just about people talking and acting like hicks. Even then, it's far from a baseless argument. Here's a good example that was posted earlier:

6X9IT8Q.png

It's also the fact that people moving from Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas and other Southern States to Sandy Shores isn't exactly feasible. As mentioned previously, nobody would invest the money, time and paperwork to settle down in the most rundown section of San Andreas. It's unrealistic, perhaps you could refer to the previous page for the sketch I drew on the U.S. map. The concern is that it's a very plaguing trend and there's a distinctive lack of research put into proper character portrayal and character presentation. There are Southern people on this thread making it very clear that nobody talks like that in their hometown.

Edited by Gall
  • Moonsong locked and unlocked this topic