Characters that call 911 when suiciding

Zani

What people forget about roleplay often is that not everyone wants to portray a goodie two shoes character who never has any sensitive flaws or dark areas of roleplay which they indulge themself in. Just because that's the way you roleplay, doesn't mean other people have to roleplay to your according and pleasure.

Just now, xdthe said:

What people forget about roleplay often is that not everyone wants to portray a goodie two shoes character who never has any sensitive flaws or dark areas of roleplay which they indulge themself in. Just because that's the way you roleplay, doesn't mean other people have to roleplay to your according and pleasure.

Just. Walk. Away.

1 hour ago, Keane said:

I know how frustrating these calls can be to deal with from the first responder side of things. Usually I'm one of the people that end up talking to the suicidal person IC so nobody else has to go through with it. Unfortunately, good RP has been the exception in these scenarios and not the norm. 

Too many characters turn to suicide too quickly for it to be realistic in my opinion. Someone will go through a break up and suddenly want to kill themselves. Sure, people have been suicidal after relationships end in real life but those are the longer term relationships and there's usually a lot more going on in the background to push them that direction. There isn't the same level of depth here. Even after being talked down and given plenty of RP from those RPing medical staff, these people somehow end up being suicidal again.

There is just too many people who like creating drama around their characters constantly. Drama happens in real life but some characters just go out of their way to create it. It can be draining to deal with if you have a character involved. These characters that are always creating drama sometimes call 911 and say they're suicidal which I think is what has a lot of people posting on this thread. If a character is driven to suicide and calls 911 as a call for help as a result of months of character development, it can be enjoyable. If someone has no substance to their character and is just using it as another way to seek attention because they've got nothing else going on with the character, it's usually a piss-poor experience. Jumping is usually how they get this attention too which drains a ton of law enforcement and fire department resources. Most of these players would prefer to be doing other things rather than dealing with someone that loves seeking attention.

This. The amount of people that will pick suicide to end their character is just ridiculous and it's always the same attention seeking roleplay to the point that it's becoming a joke in my mind. People don't consider options like the character moving elsewhere to try something else or anything else that doesn't result in them being killed. Nope, they just immediately decide to kill off their character by doing attention seeking suicide and a new character is made. I honestly do not understand why it has gotten to the point that it's a regular thing in the server which is really concerning.

Why do people decide to always go with suicide when they get bored of their character? Do you get a free name change if you CK or something? I wouldn't know, never had it happen during my roleplaying time. Nor had I even considered "hey let's suicide my character even when it makes little to no sense. But I got nothing else to do on that character so why not".

And as some have already said, there's no talking them out if they call 911 and have first responders come, they're just gonna jump anyway because they got bored of their character development by their own fault so now they will impact a lot of other characters in a very negative way and create unnecessary drama. Like if you're set on killing off your character, do it quietly so nobody else gets impacted by your poor decisions. 

While sure there are a few cases where people will actually roleplay it through properly and it will be an enjoyable roleplay experience, but in my experience, it never really has been. But again, I have stopped going to suicide calls simply due to the fact that I will find far more enjoyable roleplay elsewhere, whether it would be attending another 911 call, getting flagged down, traffic stop or talking to someone. But I do feel for people who are required to attend to them such as the Negotiations team in PD or FD.

These are just my five cents and please stop calling 911 if you have gotten bored of your character and want to kill them off. 

6 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Just. Walk. Away.

EMS / FD cannot just 'walk away' from these types of calls, suicide jumpers generally get the highest priority / most resources which drags away a lot of our stuff. So your suggesting we just go off duty? 

For the record I particularly don't mind nor care about suicidal calls, its whatever. 

1 minute ago, Mitch said:

EMS / FD cannot just 'walk away' from these types of calls, suicide jumpers generally get the highest priority / most resources which drags away a lot of our stuff. So your suggesting we just go off duty? 

For the record I particularly don't mind nor care about suicidal calls, its whatever. 

The reason he said walk away was not directed to first responders who have to put up with poorly roleplayed suicide RPs. He was talking about the person suggesting to ban suicide RP all together.

• Thanks 1