Characters that call 911 when suiciding

Zani

7 minutes ago, Mitch said:

EMS / FD cannot just 'walk away' from these types of calls, suicide jumpers generally get the highest priority / most resources which drags away a lot of our stuff. So your suggesting we just go off duty? 

If you're that bothered by the roleplay? Yes, you walk away. I'm sure there are more things to do besides responding to suicidal people. And if it's poor roleplay, report it to an administrator. 

The issue with ''walking away or not responding'' is that when everyone does that, it's another issue. This means first responders are not responding to those calls and could be a huge IC issue for the department too. Supervisors can tell people to respond to situations to which they'll have to respond. 

Not even thinking about media covering such issues and giving a lot of slander.

1 hour ago, xdthe said:

What people forget about roleplay often is that not everyone wants to portray a goodie two shoes character who never has any sensitive flaws or dark areas of roleplay which they indulge themself in. Just because that's the way you roleplay, doesn't mean other people have to roleplay to your according and pleasure.

I don’t think this is the argument at all.

The frustration is the amount of people who basically want their characters death to be in the limelight and want lots of server players to witness them go out with a ‘leap’.

As pointed out above, some players don’t have the luxury of walking away because of the IC consequences that come with it.

Im fine with players wanting to RP suicide - just write a note, use a bathtub and a razor instead of drawing in lots of players.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
2 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

I don’t think this is the argument at all.

The frustration is the amount of people who basically want their characters death to be in the limelight and want lots of server players to witness them go out with a ‘leap’.

As pointed out above, some players don’t have the luxury of walking away because of the IC consequences that come with it.

Im fine with players wanting to suicide - just write a note, use a bathtub and a razor instead of drawing in lots of players.

Never argued that some suicides are poorly roleplayed and waste everyone's time, I 100% agree that most suicides are poorly RPed. You however were trying to get suicide RP as a whole banned, which is what I had an issue with and a lot of other people had an issue with too.

Edited by xdthe

The point that's being made is, if you don't like what you consider offensive RP. Walk away. Let the person know. Don't bash and scream for a rule change.

The point is not, as a first responder character, don't respond. The point for that is, if you're calling 911 to get yourself an audience for your mall rat's suicide show, you're just an asshole who is wasting people's time.

Edited by SaintBatemanofWallStreet
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, xdthe said:

Never argued that some suicides are poorly roleplayed and waste everyone's time, I 100% agree that most suicides are poorly RPed. You however were trying to get suicide RP as a whole banned, which is what I had an issue with and a lot of other people had an issue with too.

Please don’t lie.

Ive never asked for it to be banned.

9 hours ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Suicide RP should fall under offensive server rules.

I may have misphrased it. What I meant is that, you suggested for suicide RP to be conducted similar to ERP, which means both parties must consent, and that it can only happen in secluded environments (effectively preventing MOST, if not all suicide rp). Which I am strongly against.

Edited by xdthe
54 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

The point that's being made is, if you don't like what you consider offensive RP. Walk away. Let the person know. Don't bash and scream for a rule change.

The point is not, as a first responder character, don't respond. The point for that is, if you're calling 911 to get yourself an audience for your mall rat's suicide show, you're just an asshole who is wasting people's time.

I think Saint has expressed my point of view better then I have myself on the topic of adding suicide RP to ORP rules. 

3 hours ago, xdthe said:

Oh no, I agree with that point. I was just stating that if you want to ban suicide RPs because you cannot emotionally handle it as a first responder, leave your job. Many times roleplayers will rush suicide RPs and poorly roleplay the scenes. So I absolutely agree with the point that first responders' time is often wasted because of these poorly roleplayed suicide scenes.

Like I said, I personally can RP with it but imagine coming home from work all tired. Someone drags you into a scene that they’re just clearly messing around OOC. I’ve had calls where someone was fleeing from police and climbed a billboard. He then threatened to jump if we can close. We had to get crisis negotiations and FD and we were literally standing there for close to 2 hours. What’s the point of that? Because they didn’t want to go to jail for petty offenses? It’s mostly this sort of nonsense that we get called out to in terms of suicidal calls. It’s a waste of our time because someone didn’t want their character to go to jail but could hide behind the excuse of ‘it’s roleplay!’

Not every situation is going to be pleasant or quick but at least there’s some meaningful RP in other situations, such as investigative work, etc.

Edited by Saccs